Is Denis Villeneuve the Biggest Director in Hollywood today ?

Tools    

1. 2010 Incendies = 92% = $6m/$16m (nominated for the Oscar for Best Foreign Film)
2. 2013 Prisoners = 81%= $41m/$122m
3. 2014 Enemy = 75% On rotten tomatoes
4. 2015 Sicario = 94% = $30m/$85m
5. 2016 Arrival = 94% = $47/$147m
6. Blade Runner 2049 = Post production

If you're going by box office (and it seems like you are), then no, not even close.

If you're going by quality, well, debatable, but he's very good.

If he can actually make Dune, then I'd say yes.

If he can actually make Dune, then I'd say yes.
Oh, he could make Dune alright, but could he do the source material justice? Dune is a long and complex novel with many interwoven themes, it's a complete universe unto itself.

It would be very, very hard to capture that in a mere 2 or 2.5 hour movie. I feel he would need to shoot Dune in three different movies, that were literally part 1, 2 and 3. Like, LOTR were done.

I think you could make a great Dune movie in 2.5 to 3 hours. The book has pretty clearly defined acts and the stuff to cut his pretty obvious. I think it's important to see Paul's transformation over the course of one experience, rather than split up.

This might just do nobody any good.
Guy's going the way of Chris Nolan. That's never a bad thing.

1. 2010 Incendies = 92% = $6m/$16m (nominated for the Oscar for Best Foreign Film)
2. 2013 Prisoners = 81%= $41m/$122m
3. 2014 Enemy = 75% On rotten tomatoes
4. 2015 Sicario = 94% = $30m/$85m
5. 2016 Arrival = 94% = $47/$147m
6. Blade Runner 2049 = Post production
I saw Prisoners, it was awesome. I heard Arrival is awesome too. If Blade Runner wows the fans, especially those that adored the original, THEN I think he'd be a Chris Nolan level director.

I haven't seen any of his movies. Can anyone familiar with my tastes suggest a good starting point?
I haven't seen any of his movies either, but, I think these two would be most likely to suit your taste.

Polytechnique (2009) Not Rated | 1h 17min | Crime, Drama, History

A dramatization of the Montreal Massacre of 1989 where several female engineering students were murdered by an unstable misogynis

Sicario (2015) R | 2h 1min | Action, Crime, Drama

An idealistic FBI agent is enlisted by a government task force to aid in the escalating war against drugs at the border area between the U.S. and Mexico.

This might just do nobody any good.
I haven't seen any of his movies. Can anyone familiar with my tastes suggest a good starting point?
In order of accessibility watch in this order:

Prisoners (2013)
Sicario (2015)
Arrival (2016)
Incendies (2010)
Polytechnique (2009)
Enemy (2013)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Watch Arrival when it comes on DVD. It was great.

Wouldn't actually say i dislike him to be honest, that's probably a bit strong. None of those have done much for me though, i found Sicario and Enemy average and i really disliked Prisoners. There's not any specific things that come to mind that causes this, sorry. Maybe i just haven't found one of his films for me yet, i really didn't like Alfonso Cuaron much until i saw Y Tu Mama Tambien

Probably he's more like the hottest thing in hollywood right now. I think blade runner 2049 can define more of his career and track record. Still need to see arrival tho'

Must be doin sumthin right
David Villeneuve is Chris Nolan's match.
Disagree, he's the total opposite. Quality of a Nolan movie has an inverse relation to its budget while Villeneuve's movies have been better the more money he gets