Blu-Ray Movies

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Hi All,

Just wanna know. What do you think about blu-ray movies?

Are they better than DVD quality? So the disk is a bit smaller. Big deal! Light powered information cubes are just around the corner. You'll have several movies on something the size of a sugar cube which does not need to move to be read. No doubt something even smaller will follow that.

Are they better than DVD quality? So the disk is a bit smaller. Big deal! Light powered information cubes are just around the corner. You'll have several movies on something the size of a sugar cube which does not need to move to be read. No doubt something even smaller will follow that.

Exactly! It's all going pure digital, i.e. video on demand. Also, as I have stated before "HD" is a marketing term that is used to sell discs. When dvd's were first released I clearly remember them saying they were "high definition", now they just abbreviate it and say it is better quality.

...uh the post is up there...

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Yeah, it may better than dvd quality, but it will create problem when come to the player. Not all blu-ray player can play this kind of movies. It depends on the region code, I think. Yesterday, my friend told me that she can't watch "50 First Dates" that she borrowed from her friend. I think there shouldn't be any problems with it. Then, I check in some blu-ray movie websites and I found from http://www.regionfreemovies.com/bluray_region_coding that this movie has 2 types, which are region free and region B. The one with region free is from studio Sony Pictures. Another one doesn't have any explanation about the studio. Maybe, my friend got the one which is not region free.

Thinking of getting blue ray is it worththe bother??

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
I do indeed collect Blu-Ray. They cost a little extra, but the quality and sound is amazing, i currently own on Blu-Ray.

Wall-E
I, Robot
Cloverfield
Close Encounters of the third kind
I Am Legend
The Dark Knight
Underworld
Underworld Evolution.

I plan to buy more when i have more money, and a job.

I think, untill the day that movie's will be played on sugar cube's, you most likely will al rdy get a blu-ray...
Tech is grwong very fast, but i think ill get 1...

The Elected Movie Eliminator
Well, obviously they've got better picture and sound. But if you just watch a long duration, full-of-dialogue with very little action then the difference isn't worth $30.00
I do not have a Blu-Ray player but the new Raging Bull release looks very efficient, if anyone has seen it on Blu-Ray, let me know.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
I see no picture difference between the two. I think the regular DVDs are much clearer then blue ray.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Unless you have a true 1080p or better TV - or monitor - there does not see to be a great diff, to me anyway. However, many films in blu ray - No Country for Old Men is a great example I think, are just superb including the sound. PS3 is still the best choice out there IMO because you get internet and a gaming system also.

I see no picture difference between the two. I think the regular DVDs are much clearer then blue ray.

I don't think dvds are "clearer" and that's actually the reason I am not impressed with blu-ray, yeah it's a little brighter, but while illuminating the perfections you also enhance the flaws, i.e.; film grain and background noise. Just my opinion. Clearer isn't always better. For example how much more "HD" can Family guy or The Simpsons be presented in? In the case of significantly older films it would be much more of a hinderance to see all the blemishes and imperfections.

At first, I did not see the slightest difference. But I honestly think it does show off HD's capability now. From time to time, I do still compare DVD and Blu-Ray and think "well that's not a big difference".

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Film has a soft look to it, which works for a lot of films and actors like because it complements them. In HD, you see every wrinkle on their aging face. They do not like this, not one bit.

Myself? I own a PS3, so I have a few titles, only ones worth getting for the enhanced picture and sound. Although I do have a few stinkers because they were $10.

The Dark Knight
I, Robot
Stargate
Total Recall
JCVD
SAW II
Planet Earth

Suspect's Reviews

Film has a soft look to it, which works for a lot of films and actors like because it complements them. In HD, you see every wrinkle on their aging face. They do not like this, not one bit.

Myself? I own a PS3, so I have a few titles, only ones worth getting for the enhanced picture and sound. Although I do have a few stinkers because they were $10.

The Dark Knight
I, Robot
Stargate
Total Recall
JCVD
SAW II
Planet Earth

Film making seems to be becoming more and more of an artificial and sterile process. More of a science and less of an art, sure Michael Bay can deliver crisp robotic mayhem, but how do any of these advances further the art of story-telling itself? If anything it's smothering it with superficial sheen. It seems people buy the latest format, not based on the content of the library, but by which has the higher resolution.

The People's Republic of Clogher
If anything it's smothering it with superficial sheen. It seems people buy the latest format, not based on the content of the library, but by which has the higher resolution.
Some people are just stupid, then.

There are unsympathetic transfers on a few BD films just as there were in the early days of DVD (Blade Runner, anyone?) but quality seems a lot more uniform now.

Look at things like the new Blade Runner release, the Godfather Coppola Restoration, 2001 or The Wild Bunch. Fantastic and extremely natural transfers/reconstructions. If you watch those and still say you prefer DVD I'll offer to get your eyes chalked for you.

Banned from Hollywood.
i dont see what all the noise is about..

it promises better image quality..well the dvds are already great to start with

it promises better sound quality...well a DVD home cinema system takes care of that very well thank you

i will only be buying a blu-ray player when DVD s will be taken off the market completely..but i think it wont be a while before that happens...the only advatage i see wiith the blu rays is that you can play your dvds on them as well...at least they took some time and thought of the dvd buyers who wont have to throw away all their dvds when the format wont be available anymore.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
Hmm, very expensive and very unnecessairy, I'm happy with what I have

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Hmm, very expensive and very unnecessairy, I'm happy with what I have
That statement is very true, but at the same time, very untrue.

Blu-Ray should be reserved for movies that rely heavily on special effects. Watching Old School on Blu-Ray would be crazy, as the true power of Blu-Ray would not even be noticeable. I watched Speed Racer on Blu-Ray and was blown away with how crisp and clear and, dare I say colorful, it was. Didn't help the film, overall, but the visuals were spectacular.

At the moment, the PlayStation 3 is the most logical choice for a Blu-Ray player, as it has multiple functions for which the price is nominal.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The People's Republic of Clogher

Blu-Ray should be reserved for movies that rely heavily on special effects.
I disagree completely and refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made earlier.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I disagree completely and refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made earlier.
I saw that post. Ok, so there are some movies deserving of a viewing on Blu-Ray, but not every movie will get that flawless transfer.