The MoFo Personal Pictures Thread

Tools    

@ Nebbit,

Very cute! Great photo! Is Boris a Shih Tzu? Thanks for sharing it.
He is a Jack **** A jack Russell Shih tzu cross

Thanks Sexy, i am lucky for an old girl I have great skin

The People's Republic of Clogher
Boris will lead the Tories one day, he's got the haircut for it.

I'm trying to get to grips with the new cooker.

Does anyone here know how to work them? Anyone?

So far I've learned they're great for stews but crap for pizzas.

It's an Aga (or maybe a Rayburn). A solid fuel cooker, basically, although this one has been converted to run on heating oil. Powers the radiators too.

The problem I have is one of control - The oven's pretty much at a constant temperature, as are the hobs. I'm either undercooking stuff or burning it.

It's funny, but when I lived in England, the Aga was seen as the last word in middle class luxury but over here, every little farmhouse cottage had one. Never used one until I moved here though, but I'm determined to keep the microwave unplugged.

EDIT - Thanks to the power of The Google, I'm pretty sure it's a Rayburn. That makes all the difference. Obviously.

It's funny, but when I lived in England, the Aga was seen as the last word in middle class luxury but over here, every little farmhouse cottage had one. Never used one until I moved here though, but I'm determined to keep the microwave unplugged.
That's how the middle classes work. You get the best of everything until most people can afford it, then you go back to basics. I swear local produce, food miles and carbon footprints have more to do with that then they do saving the planet.

Totally agree. We had friends who lived out in the Welsh borders and could have bought and sold us many times over. She drove a Citroen 2CV and only bought food from her local farm shop.

The Good Life was more about fashion to them than a lifestyle choice.

I'm pretty sure they had an Aga.

Great observations. I'm really interested in how almost every sub-culture is embarrassed by its socioeconomic status for totally different reasons. Where I live the poorer people wear the newest-looking clothes (bright white sneakers, leaving stickers on hats, etc.), and the richer ones are the ones wearing faded t-shirts and distressed jeans.

Where I live the poorer people wear the newest-looking clothes (bright white sneakers, leaving stickers on hats, etc.), and the richer ones are the ones wearing faded t-shirts and distressed jeans.
This is something that's always made me chuckle. People who can afford 'proper' designer clothes usually wouldn't be dead seen in said clothing with the name emblazoned over the item. The point is you know from the cut/style or you don't know and, if you don't know, then they know you're not 'one of them'. I suppose it's the same way in which certain words are pronounced, especially names. Magdalen College, for example. For those who aren't in the know, it's pronounced "Maudlin." I don't know if they'd serve you if you went into Gieves & Hawkes and pronounced it the way it's spelt.

'High street' designer stuff, as I believe it's known as, would usually be seen as below slumming it and the designers who licence it think the same way.

That's why I like where I'm living now. My cousin keeps and rides horses but she's as far from the landed gentry as you can imagine. My grandad's brother kept horses too but he was a Blacksmith. A proper Blacksmith with a forge - Man, I loved visiting there when I was a kid.

We'd get tea with unpasteurised milk, fresh from the cow.

Sheesh, I'm becoming a reminiscing old fool.

In for a penny...

Here's the local village (also where I grew up) in 1954 and today.

Not an awful lot has changed.

Cathedral, actually.

But yeah, as you can see it's actually smaller than Artie's Vauxhall Astra estate. That's probably the real reason that churchgoer numbers are dwindling.

What a great place to live-- I'm sure your stress levels are low!
Hope so. Been on meds for my blood pressure recently so de-stressing was the main reason for moving.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a damn good night.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dapper.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	12167  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You rock dude. I hope you're out caroling in that get up?