MoFo Fantasy Baseball '15 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Your team is way better than its record, but you've got way too many bench players on offense.

My latest bit of waffling this morning is exceptionally bad. No need to post pictures.

A system of cells interlinked
Marte goes deep again, his fourth in five games. Then he hits an RBI single.

Marte was my choice if Santana had gone, but I couldn't pass up on slotting Santana @ C in that round. It's definitely paid off so far.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I was all excited to get up to third place this weekend. Then two pretty good days and still I dropped back to 7th. Not panicking, besides power I feel pretty good about my team. I would like to finish April in the top five though, especially after my atrocious season last year.

Storen blew it last night, or I would have had a stellar day. My power went off again, so that was nice.
Surprised to hear Drew Storen falter. Back when he was Closing for the Nats before, in 2011, he was mag-ni-fi-cent! Cody Allen this year, not so mag-ni-fi-cent.

Great blown save by Melancon. My team ERA is like 15 now.
I went to the game last night. Melancon looked terrible. He bounced about five pitches in the dirt well in front of home plate and served up a bunch of meatballs. Sigh.

Quick question! I just read this on Roto (RE: Joe Nathan):

"a 1/3-inning stint against the Twins on Opening Day in which he recorded a strikeout of Torii Hunter for a save in a 4-0 win."

How can that be a save?

"Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game."

I presume the bases are almost loaded here? maybe 2 on, then Torri at bat, and another guy (the tying run) on deck?

So I take it requirement A is ignored (no more than 3 runs) if he meets another requirement?

Nah, no worries. The rules for saves are pretty arcane/quasi-arbitrary. It's one of those things where 95% of the time it's straightforward but the other 5% is bizarre and confusing.

I just sort of always had that 3-run lead rule floating around so when I saw the 4-0 score I scratched my head for a sec.

I am actually accruing saves this season - a weird feeling, as I always sort of ended up punting that category in the past.

White Sox and Royals got heated, 5 ejected including Chris Sale, Yordano Ventura, and Jeff Samardzija