Silent Hill 2

Tools    

Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) and her father (Sean Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn't fully understand. Now on the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she's not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever

Taken from Movie Insider.

Funny, there's no mention of any other cast member returning apart from Sean Bean, and weirdly, he now has an 18 year old daughter called Heather.

Even if it's based years and years after the first film which would explain his new daughter... why would Sean's new kid be haunted by the same demons as the first film.
Alessa in the first film was his adopted daughter. Technically, he has no connection to Silent Hill, nor does his bloodline.

Be interesting to see the movie... even if it's already sounding like a typical cashed in affair.

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
Personally I thought the original movie was really well done (bear in mind I'm not a game player, so can't judge or compare the adaptation) & am looking forward to the sequel...

...if for no other reason than to see whether this is that rare occurrance, an appearance by Sean Bean where he doesn't get killed

I'm assuming the "dead in the water" bit was dated info? When I looked up "Silent Hill: Revelation," I got this:
"Silent Hill: Revelation 3D is an upcoming 3D horror film due to release on October 26, 2012. Written and directed by Michael J. Bassett."

As for the first film, I really liked it. It was eerie and the effects were nice. I'm not sure there was much to terrify, but movies rarely scare me. The only game I played, though, was The Room, which wasn't bad. Just the idea of the Silent Hill "world" interests me.

Yeah, Silent Hill is all about mood and mindf*ck imagery. I thought the movie did a great job of capturing the bizarre and nightmarish unreality of the Silent Hill mythos. Those who complained about plot missed the point. It's like being thrust into a twilight zone dimension that doesn't have to hold to any logic or reality we know. I always interpreted the Silent Hill reality of the games as more like a mental place where everything inside the characters could be made physically manifest and free to roam, as if the boundaries between mind and matter in that "other place" were blurred and worked differently.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
I agree - the imagery, whilst maybe not scary in itself, is seriously disturbing; the whole feel of the movie plays tricks with your mind & there will be scenes which stay with you for a long time. I genuinely do not understand why the movie was slated; for once, a horror movie was released which was actually original!

I agree - the imagery, whilst maybe not scary in itself, is seriously disturbing; the whole feel of the movie plays tricks with your mind & there will be scenes which stay with you for a long time. I genuinely do not understand why the movie was slated; for once, a horror movie was released which was actually original!
and a year later here I come to reply Can't tell if the others in this thread are alive anymore... Anyways, I've just seen the film (silent hill 1) yesterday, and being a great SH2 game fan I was quite a lot disappointed... The thing is, more than half of it is in dark which pretty much means we see nothing, secondly, all of the camera shots were from something like a bird's eye view, as if the director is scared of the women he's filming and, thirdly, it wasn't all that thought-through...
Let's talk about SH2 - the game... Silent Hill is a type of mind prison for James
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
who killed his wife
and has trouble dealing with it. Monsters in the town are his own demons, for example, for a long time he visited his wife in the hospital and he saw a lot of nurses there but was yet faithful to his wife. That is why in SH there are many 'sexy' nurses that represent his sexual frustration. Those monsters without arms are connected with him being powerless with his wife's sickness... etc.... However in the film they didn't think about those aspects they just put every monster they could find... I'm really disappointed...

The biggest problem with the sequel is they went heavily into CGI... badly rendered CGI at that. Then they went heavily into action too... badly choreographed action at that too.

The story was also incoherent. Referring to my last post (3 or 4 above^) the way they brought characters back was just bad writing at its, erm, best. At its worst. Or best... whatever. It was awful anyway.

And Sean Bean was abysmal too.

Really liked the first film, weird, gory, graphic... this one though was just a fest of CGI and cashed-in everything else.

Think of it as The Thing (2011) to John Carpenter's 1982 version of The Thing.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
Silent Hill is one of my favorite horror movies and arguably the best video game to movie adaptation.

As for Silent Hill 2...Crap.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Silent Hill is one of my favorite horror movies and arguably the best video game to movie adaptation.
To be fair, the bar for that's set pretty low. Discounting the Dead Space movies (whose release precedes the games themselves) there's Silent Hill and Resident Evil, and neither of those were necesarilly good, just passable.

As for Silent Hill: Revelation, I agree that it was poorly made and leaned to far too heavily on CG and fight scenes. However, I did like the surprisingly well-handled transition between the mundane world and the world of Silent Hill.

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!
The first Silent Hill is a pretty decent horror flick.

I would say that the second suffered from some stylistic flaws that are pretty consistent with an under-conceived sequel. The CGI put me off just as it did some of you, too. Not only does the second one instill much less of a creepy vibe, but it almost feels more like an action movie and not a horror.

Perhaps. I don't know any very good video game movie. The best video game adaptation I ever experienced, however is a 50 episode long animated series Clannad. It's one of the best TV series ever made.

As for Silent Hill 2...Crap.
Didn't watch it, don't plan to watch it.

Yeah, Silent Hill is all about mood and mindf*ck imagery. I thought the movie did a great job of capturing the bizarre and nightmarish unreality of the Silent Hill mythos. Those who complained about plot missed the point. It's like being thrust into a twilight zone dimension that doesn't have to hold to any logic or reality we know. I always interpreted the Silent Hill reality of the games as more like a mental place where everything inside the characters could be made physically manifest and free to roam, as if the boundaries between mind and matter in that "other place" were blurred and worked differently.
Silent Hill is the only videogame that actually scared me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Honestly, I preferred Silent Hill: Revelations to the first Silent Hill movie by a long-shot. I thought that the first movie was absolutely horrible, forcing itself on the the screen for about thirty or so minutes too long. To its credit, it did in-fact capture the look and feel of Silent Hill to near perfection, and the storytelling itself felt familiar. The only problem is the slow-paced cavalier way of tale unraveling in the games didn't translate well on film for me. Unfortunately, those complaining about the story aren't missing the point, because scenery isn't everything if the story sucks. Something that has been proven time and time again is that storytelling can be just as terrifying as scenery when done well. The games did it, but the movies did not. Revelations isn't going to be mistaken for a classic any time soon, but at least if it wasn't going to make something amazing, it followed a familiar "slasher" trend. That is, an hour and a half of halfway decent acting, sub par script, and nicely designed imagery. I thought everything from a design stand point looked great. If I were to categorize it anywhere, I'd put it about in line with the later Saw movies. In that, it's mindless entertainment for the demented.