Unitarian Universalist
22.83%
29 votes
Other
40.94%
52 votes
None
127 votes. You may not vote on this poll

It is not contradictory to me because I don't have a firm belief on this topic.
The topic is not physics and free will right now, the topic is whether or not those three statements contradict one another. If you say you don't have a firm belief on this, that has to mean you don't have a firm belief about one of those statements. Which is it?

Where I am firm is man made religion does not explain why we are here, that none of them have devine answers, although they might have some good principals to live by, but not necessarily all of them. I am not anti religion for other people, which is the position some atheists take.
Understood. I'm not accusing you of being a militant atheist, intolerant, or anything like that. I'm just asking you to explain the dilemma posed by the things you say you believe.

Semper Fooey
I don't see the dilemma. I still think you are asking me questions more appropriate for an atheist.

I assure you I'm not. I'm asking questions based only on what you tell me you believe, which is the following:

1. You believe in free will.
2. You believe our minds are purely physical.
3. You believe that all physical matter behaves according to cause and effect.

The dilemma is clear: if our brains are just physical matter, and all physical matter moves in accordance with cause and effect, then the molecules in our brains move in accordance with cause and effect. They have no choice over which neural pathway to take, any more than any other molecule can choose its direction. So one of the three beliefs above has got to go.

I find it genuinely difficult to believe you don't grasp the contradiction.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Young man, until you come up with an answer for quantum indeterminacy (which I went on about at interminable length previously) you should really stop hawking this picture of materialism. It's a reduction too far.

No 'materialist' (as you have been wont to call non-believers) actually has to believe that 'cause and effect' as we know it has primacy over all levels of physical existence. The evidence suggests it doesn't. (I know in our previous discussion on this you said your gut made you suspect that these seemingly 'random' facets of existence merely appear that way. But gut calls aren't supposed to play a role in logical appraisals of the head )

Young man, until you come up with an answer for quantum indeterminacy (which I went on about at interminable length previously) you should really stop hawking this picture of materialism. It's a reduction too far.
Who're you callin' young? I've got gray hairs and a beard, and aren't you the clean-shaven one? Respect your elders, kid.

Anyway: I was waiting for this! I mentioned this in a profile comment just now, but yes, we have had this discussion before. It appears I just, I dunno, thought about my response last time, rather than posting it. Knowing me I still have it somewhere. Here goes:

No 'materialist' (as you have been wont to call non-believers)...
Sometimes I say atheists, but as it's been pointed out to me, atheists are just usually materialists; they are not necessarily so. I like it when people are precise, so it's only fair that I make the distinction. Why, do you think I should use a different name?

...actually has to believe that 'cause and effect' as we know it has primacy over all levels of physical existence. The evidence suggests it doesn't. (I know in our previous discussion on this you said your gut made you suspect that these seemingly 'random' facets of existence merely appear that way. But gut calls aren't supposed to play a role in logical appraisals of the head )
I'm shocked I never replied to this idea before, but I'll just do it now. I think there are two pretty clear counters to the idea that quantum indeterminacy can reconcile this problem:

1) Something being indeterminate may stop determinism, but it doesn't necessarily create the possibility of choice. These are almost two sides of the same coin, but not quite. It may be true that quantum indeterminacy shoots down the physical primacy of cause and effect, but it does so by replacing it with unpredictability, at least for the moment, which is no friendlier to the idea of free will. Free will requires both debunking determinism and asserting that we exert specific control over the matter in our minds. Being at the mercy of a probability distribution gets us no closer to genuine agency.

2) Even putting the first point aside, I think you'll agree that trying to argue for free will with quantum indeterminacy bears a striking similarity to people who like to say "God did it" about anything we don't understand. The fact that the issue's a big ol' mystery could technically be used to explain all sorts of contradictory ideas, but treating its black box nature as a get-out-of-contradiction-free-card strikes me as a technicality at best. So then the discussion merely goes from "free will isn't technically possible, given what you believe" to "you believe in free will despite having no evidence whatsoever." It's a leap of faith far beyond any religion. Even that one with the thetans.

Oh, quick edit: I should add that, if someone wanted to use this sort of argument, then they'd still be able to answer the question posed. They could say "why, I disagree with that third option, my good man. I am not at all convinced that matter responds in consistent ways."

By the by, should I copy this post into the other thread? I want to continue this but without crowding out the, like, four other simultaneous discussions I've got going on. But I also want to leave this copy here, since it has some relevance.

Semper Fooey
I assure you I'm not. I'm asking questions based only on what you tell me you believe, which is the following:

The dilemma is clear: if our brains are just physical matter, and all physical matter moves in accordance with cause and effect, then the molecules in our brains move in accordance with cause and effect. They have no choice over which neural pathway to take, any more than any other molecule can choose its direction. So one of the three beliefs above has got to go.

I find it genuinely difficult to believe you don't grasp the contradiction.
Animals of the same species don't act exactly the same.

Cats have similiar behavior, but not identicle personalities.

You seem to think without some kind of devine intervention all living beings of the same species should be programmed exactly the same and behave the same.

Animals of the same species don't act exactly the same.
That's because they're born at different times, in different places, with different genetics. Saying their behavior is determined in no way implies that it should be identical across species'.

You seem to think without some kind of devine intervention all living beings of the same species should be programmed exactly the same and behave the same.
No, that's not what I think and not what I'm saying. That's not what determinism means.

Semper Fooey
Kittens born at the same time to the same mother have different personalities. They have distinct and different personalities very early on.

You are going to have to find someone who accepts what you are saying as some kind of truth to argue with.

Kittens born at the same time to the same mother have different personalities. They have distinct and different personalities very early on.
I weep for this discussion if you actually think, after all that's been said, that disparate kitten behavior invalidates determinism. It'd be a good band name, but that's about the extent of its usefulness.

Kittens can behave differently right off the bat for all sorts of reasons; there are genetic mutations from conception, they develop differently while in the womb, and there are literally billions of differences between even identical twins at a molecular level. This tells us precisely nothing about whether or not our choices are predetermined.

You are going to have to find someone who accepts what you are saying as some kind of truth to argue with.
I really just need someone who can recognize when their views contradict each other, Captain Cognitive Dissonance.

It all comes down to this: in order to fully eradicate God, you must first eradicate objects.

By doing so you destroy all notions of enclosure -- there is no 'outside' from where God can stand. You also destroy all notions of cause and effect -- and thus the need for a first cause. Finally, you destroy 'order' as such -- and the need to account for it by 'design.'

The materialist claim is a positive claim (in contrast to the merely negative claim of a-theism): there is only difference as such. In rough terms, being qua being is 'chaos' proper. 'Order' emerges only as an effect of being in the world. Being as such is inherently 'f*cked.'

This is the only stance that can erase absolutely any possibility of a transcendent God. The question then becomes: does being qua being really take the shape of 'chaos'? The wager of the materialist is that it does and that absolutely every aspect of the world already informs this conclusion.

Furthermore, can anything like Truth, Beauty, Heroism, Freedom, Love, and the Good be rehabilitated in the materialist view? Again, the materialist says "yes." Not only can they all be accounted for and saved, they can be saved in precisely the way that they are commonly understood. We do not need to, for example, revert to some pragmatic theory of truth. No: we can save Truth as such.

Consider this a manifesto for the materialist. You saw it here first, MoFos. : p

I really don't get this at all! To believe or not! It's simple really. A lot of people want evidence, though if another coming of God...well! A few of us are fu****! myself intruded A lot people say the end is coming, the only way it will come....by our doing!

Planet news is on a higher intellectual level than all of us. I concede.
It's not about that at all! You believe or not.....a 10 year would realise that! I have no problem with people who don't believe...half of my mates don't!

@Tyler 1, say what you want to say...I sure I can handle it! To takes me awhile to reply after reading it...I'm strong!

If you believe in fairies, Tinkerbelle won't die.
lol! It had to be will to say that..lol! Years, years ago use to tell fairy tales with my family...

Planet news is my god.
He's overeducated...with big words!