Game of Thrones Season 2

Tools    

Oof. Well, I caught up last night, and I'm starting to read through this thread...and I see tons of random discussion about the books and what happens next in them. So I guess I can't read it after all.

Might be worthwhile to have a thread for people who are just watching the TV show, and want to talk about it without having likely show developments spoiled by talk of what happens later in the books. Either that or, like, a third of what's been written needs spoiler tags.
This!

I just caught up as well, I was excited to join in on the conversation. Just browsing two pages I hit a bunch of book spoilers and future happenings.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Were people really surprised to see Bran and Rickon alive though? I always thought it was common knowledge that if you don't see a death onscreen, then there's a 90% chance they are still alive. Them burnt bodies didn't feel me brotha.

The episode, Blackwater, was intense. Blood, guts, and Stannis!!!! The fact that he was first into the boat, first on the beach, first up the ladder makes me like him even more. A badass character indeed. I loved his line.

Soldier: Your grace, hundreds of men will die.
Stannis: Thousands.

Michelle is reading the book at the same time, so she just finished the chapter when the episode played. She knew what was going to happen and expected Renly to show up. She also HATES all the nudity and has to point out all the differences in the book and the show.

......women.

Suspect's Reviews

So guys, I made this picture and was pretty proud of it. Can I show it off?

I've tried to talk in vague terms but can try and refrain from book spoilers if I have drifted. Though a lot of changes are being made so they're all potential spoilers anyway.

That said, looking at a lot of new to show viewers reactions, just wanted gauge what people think happened to Stannis, Sansa and Tyrion at the end?

Justin, yeah, that one got me too. Was more sad than shocking, as it was kind of coming but the character naivety and earnest had me almost believing it'd work. Definitely more emotional for POV characters to snuff it.

I'm probably just gonna bail on the thread; it's mostly made up of people who've read the books and I'm sure it's very tempting to just hold forth on it all. I don't have a problem with that, I just need to not participate for the time being.

I'll answer the last post, though: as someone who hasn't read the books and only knows a handful of vague things about what happens going forward, but has seen all the episodes...it looks like Stannis was caught (and is gonna get himself pretty thoroughly tortured and killed), Sansa didn't explicitly make up her mind to go with the Hound (but will probably decide to, whether she gets a chance to or not), and Tyrion sustained an injury that, bare minimum, is gonna leave him with a nasty scar. But he'll survive. Whether he'll be substantially disfigured, I'm not sure.

Interesting. A lot seem to think Tyrion dead and Sansa definitely fled. It's weird that having read the books, I think one thing but non-readers make different readings of situations. Wonder if it's ambiguous on purpose or has been altered to mess with readers.

I definitely thought the injury to Tyrion was going to be much worse. As soon as the cut formed and a little blood squirted out, I though his face was going to slide off. After a bit more screen time showing him on the ground with his face in tact, I realized it was a wound that wasn't going to be deadly.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I hope people don't bail out of the thread, and that goes for you, Yoda. I'd still be interested to know what you and others think about the show. I also find your predictions interesting.

I think us readers of the books can write in spoiler tags, correct?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
OMG!!!! was that amazing or what?? I got chills. Sam!!!!

Tyrion and Shae -- I wanted to cry. Very heartbreaking.

I wasn't sure they could live up to last week's episode, but I think they did.

For book readers -- the House of the Undying was so great in the book, not sure what purpose it served here.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

I feel really scared for a few of the charactors (Sansa, my favorite) and I am really sad the season is over, does anyone else feel like it ended too soon?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
is it just me or does the white walker not bear a striking resemblance to the frost giants of Thor?

The ending almost recovered the episode, even if it did seem like a scene from TWD lol. Would have been good to close on a perspective actually from Fist of the First Men though. Jon Snow and Qhorin was pretty butchered, very unclear motivation for the two, especially compared how epic it was in the book.

Robb's wedding was massively off and rushed, gets his winky wet and he's marrying her. NOTHING to do with taking the 'V' plates of a high born lady and marrying to keep her honour intact. Just stupid decision to piss his mother off. Poor. And little things like praying to The Seven, imagine most non-readers won't pick it up but neither character should follow that religion.

Theon is one of the best characters but they've did his storyline a massive disservice. Razing Winterfell was left ambiguous when it was one of the best scenes in the book. Dagmer, not sure why he spurred Theon on so much just to end like that. Just massively underwhelmed at how lack of budget or time forced this to be cut short.

Not sure why they bothered introducing Ser Dontos (the drunk knight in ep 1) when Littlefinger seems to have taken his role over directly, in another move to give Gillen more screen time chew up no doubt. Would have liked Loras inducted into the King's Guard to tie up The Hound's story at KL.

House of the Undying, was ok but massively disappointing compared to books and the creepy prophecies/visions she sees.

I loved the episode, especially Tyrion's scene with Shae, brought tears to my eyes. But I can't help but "meh" at the ending. I haven't read the books, so I don't have that perspective nor know where this is is going to go, but my initial reaction was, "Zombies? Really? That's the best he could come up with?" Almost managed to take the wind out of my sails. They don't seem to fit for me and the rest of the world is so incredibly well realised that it just seems a little half-hearted.

Like I said though, just a watcher, so I don't know if they've butchered Martin's words or I just have the wrong idea or whatever.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Zombies were always in the show. The open the first season and Jon Snow kills one at the Wall. This element is not new, we just got to see how many there are. We as an audience know that Whitewalkers exist, a lot of characters don't believe it.

and yes, everyone in the room commented on how it was almost like an episode of The Walking Dead, hahaha.

The prophecies being excluded was a shame, it was interesting to see it depicted on the screen, but could have gone further.

I like the zombie concept, I think it's weird and exciting because of the era of time.