Sequels better then the first film

Tools    

It's not suspenseful to YOU. Therefore it doesn't work for YOU. But it works for ME and other fans of the film. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the build up being 'obvious', either. The way I see it the build up is either effective or it isn't, and I think most would agree that it at least is. It establishes the characters, the mood and the undercurrent of distrust amongst certain characters.
These things don't add to the build up of anything but personal scuffles. The reason it's not suspenseful to me and why I'm confused as to how it could be to anyone else is because it isn't effective, to put it like you want me to, in, like, building, ya know, tension for the upcoming action, of which I already addressed why. Majority agreements mean nothing since history shows humans are prone to be sheep within opinions, so w/e

I'm not sure why you even felt the need to ask this question, tbh.
Oh really! Other than tying a minuscule sequence of a sci-fi action film to being somehow Vietnam war commentary, what about your useless question "You don't really believe that, don't you?"

Lol, you talk about how the build up in Aliens is 'by the numbers' yet you won't even acknowledge how by the numbers it was for the screenwriters to attempt to make the alien more of a threat than it needed to be at that point in the film.
You're helping me out at this point.

Hey i'm only going by what Jim Cameron said of the film. It's the metaphor he came up with so throwing a hissy fit in this thread is pointless. I was just highlighting to Tyler that one of the reasons he finds Predator a better film than Aliens are silly since they both have more or less the same thematic elements, except Aliens was made before that film and has better execution, imo.

Anyways, I know you're still butthurt about me calling your 2nd favourite film sucky, but it's not really my fault that it sucks, it just does. I wish it didn't suck, I really do. But it does. So, it's not really my fault it sucks, is it?

If it sucks, it sucks.

It's true, Cameron on the Aliens dvd actually says that his film is inspired by the Vietnam War.
High Tech 'Heroes' getting their asses kicked by Low Tech 'Bad Guys'.

I still think Alien Resurrection beats them all hands down, though. Including Predator (stir stir stir)

Even in the 80's this was called "Vietnam in Space". There's never been any denial that this is what it is.

I'm with WT with the kid though. She's the most annoying thing in the film and this film has Hicks. She's that bloody cat from the first film, played through the whole film and turned up to 11.

Once again Prestige shows he doesn't really address an argument, but "hissy fits" about the extremely minor bit, your inadequacy is showing. You seem more pissed about that other thread than I ever was (since I...wasn't?).

Your 2nd favourite still sucks. No change there.

Anyways, it's a shame that other MoFo's had to point out the obvious to you, despite the fact that I said it already. That screams your inadequacy. Heh, i'm not angry about the other thread at all, in fact, I more or less wanted this reaction from you I feel so sorry about your inadequacy that I have still not bothered and won't even neg rep you.

It'll all be alright once you come to terms with your 2nd favourite film's suckage, though. Chin up, mate.

Oh, and winters babes..

So...the reaction you wanted...you wanted me to win an argument about Alien vs. Aliens?

Trolls are so untenable these days. What happened to discussion? On the...forum?

I'd recommend looking up "projection"

Aliens is more awesome to me because of the scene where that woman is stuck in the wall and the alien pops out of her. Also, Gameover man, gameover! Also automated turrets scene. Also robot thing scene at the end.

Meanwhile, Predator has bicep shots, greased up torsos, a REALLY stupid Native American character, and the Rambo trap ending.

But Predator's music is awesome.

Just been reading up on the replies to this. Funny how it causes arguments.
Not sure how we got onto comparing franchises to one another though, it wasn't the original question.

My thoughts on the original question though:

Trying to compare movies to one another, especially when the movies being compared are sequels and prequels to one another.

The thing with the Alien Franchise, is that each and every one of the films are completely different to each other.

I recently posted in my reviews about the three Predator films. Ignoring the third (Predators), if I try to compare the first two, it's the same problem. The two are so different from one another.
I like them both equally, I even gave them the same % rating, but on a personal level, I prefer the first.

Certain franchises need to have different films throughout them, for instance Predator and Predator 2. Otherwise you'd end up with just Predator and Predators.
IE: Two films that are pretty much the same.

If Aliens had been simply a rerun of Ridley Scott's original, fans would have slammed it for copying, like Predators was.

It's always hard to compare and find which is 'better' with franchises that change their genre as they progress.

If Aliens had been simply a rerun of Ridley Scott's original, fans would have slammed it for copying, like Predators was.

It's always hard to compare and find which is 'better' with franchises that change their genre as they progress.
You're right it would have been slammed but there wasn't an issue with it being a different type of film, although I'm sure there are people who hate it because of that alone, but the devil is in the details, which I've personally addressed. Apropos "better" I think Aliens would have been equally as good as the first had it not been clamoring for a larger audience, because that's essentially from where its poor qualities can be traced. You see genre changes in music all the time (well depending where you look) where the the band can have numerous albums that are stylistically divorced but the overall atmosphere is still that band alone. Ya know?

Your 2nd favourite still sucks. No change there.

Anyways, it's a shame that other MoFo's had to point out the obvious to you, despite the fact that I said it already. That screams your inadequacy. Heh, i'm not angry about the other thread at all, in fact, I more or less wanted this reaction from you I feel so sorry about your inadequacy that I have still not bothered and won't even neg rep you.

It'll all be alright once you come to terms with your 2nd favourite film's suckage, though. Chin up, mate.
I actually was gonna defend you but you just had to take those shots. Dissing Alien will not make Aliens the better film.

Oh, and The Fountain does not suck. What sucks is that you can't put forth an articulate and thoughtful defense of Aliens. I could... but after witnessing your lame tantrum in this thread, why bother? I'd rather re-watch Alien, Aliens and Predator than waste any more time on a hysterical dick.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'd rather re-watch Alien, Aliens and Predator than waste any more time on a hysterical dick.
Hysterical Dick was one of the great punk bands of the 70's. It's also a terrible ailment that even Pele won't take cash to highlight.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Anyways, I know you're still butthurt about me calling your 2nd favourite film sucky, but it's not really my fault that it sucks, it just does. I wish it didn't suck, I really do. But it does. So, it's not really my fault it sucks, is it?

If it sucks, it sucks.
uh. what

EARLIER IN THE THREAD, your initial comments on this were:

I'm of the same thinking. Both are brilliant films, but the stakes are higher and it's just more epic on almost every level.
so... are you now claiming to change your opinion hoping to get a rise, or what?

also, chill out about 100 degrees.

When it comes to movies that provide sequels, triologys etc... I adore them and can name a few that i think were better than the first:

The Dark Knight
Blade 2
Die Hard 3
Mighty Ducks 2
Final Destination 2

uh. what

EARLIER IN THE THREAD, your initial comments on this were:

so... are you now claiming to change your opinion hoping to get a rise, or what?

also, chill out about 100 degrees.
I never changed my opinion. Again, if you can point out a post in which I said that Alien was a weak film then that would be great.

Also, I wouldn't try the whole gang up team on the slightly rude guy right now because it really doesn't work with me, Ashley. Nobody asked you to get involved so you might want to keep your crap to yourself. Your always trying to join in when it comes to arguments on here, and it really rubs me up the wrong way, so do us a favour and don't acknowledge me, yeah?

I never changed my opinion.
That's precisely what you did.

Also, I wouldn't try the whole gang up team on the slightly rude guy right now because it really doesn't work with me, Ashley. Nobody asked you to get involved so you might want to keep your crap to yourself. Your always trying to join in when it comes to arguments on here, and it really rubs me up the wrong way, so do us a favour and don't acknowledge me, yeah?
Banning you would be kind