The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmmm, nope I didn't. Thanks for the heads up though, I'm off to check iPlayer in case it's there.

EDIT - No joy.
Tatty, this seems to be it...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Top man! (other high street gents clothing retailers are available) Thanks buddy!

It's always so weird to me that people will buy the new CoD game and immediately go to multiplayer. The campaigns are awesome! They interest me as much as the MP, easy.

Anyway, I'm a little over an hour into Black Ops' campaign, and it's not bad so far. It doesn't have the same "inside an action movie" feel of the first two, but that might be because it's darker. I like the frame story conceit, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Here's one to look out for from the people behind the life-affirming, heartwarming little bit of genius that was Flower.

Journey

An online adventure game apparently.

Oh, and Gran Turismo Forever is released on Nov 25th. Hopefully.

I've kind of dug myself into a hole of money spending (a lot which I don't have yet). I bought a 32 inch Dynex for 300, which I'm upgrading to a Samsung for 150 more. Black Ops on 360 and PC (it sucks on PC).

This thing for 200 dollars.

... and I've still got a lot to pay off on this computer I'm using right now.

Also I bought an HDMI cord for PS3, and some cheap speakers and a little amp.

..... that's all.

PS3 Has No Games

I've kind of dug myself into a hole of money spending (a lot which I don't have yet). I bought a 32 inch Dynex for 300, which I'm upgrading to a Samsung for 150 more. Black Ops on 360 and PC (it sucks on PC).

This thing for 200 dollars.

... and I've still got a lot to pay off on this computer I'm using right now.

Also I bought an HDMI cord for PS3, and some cheap speakers and a little amp.

..... that's all.
Is that some sort of media centre/hard drive combo? I've never seen the need for those because of already owning a PS3. Sure it'll play a few more file formats but PS3 Media Server converts on the fly.

Game of the year anyone?

Red Dead Redemption for me, by a stretch, but Gran Turismo Forever ain't out til next week.

It's for capturing HD footage from your TV. Hook 360 component cables into the box, hook the box into the tv, hook the usb from the box into the comp. Captures at really high fps and compresses it in real time.

Gran Turismo 5

I've said before that if this isn't a perfect driving sim then I'll be gravely disappointed, due to all the false dawns resulting in the thing being years late.

It ain't perfect, nowhere near it in fact, but I'm only a little disappointed.

The front end is mega clunky when compared to the only game you can compare it to, Forza 3. It's worse than any GT this side of the first two, in fact.

Loading times are excruciatingly long, even with the 8GB (!) optional data install. I thought the game had crashed a few times (it did crash a few times when I tried to get online but I suspect it's 1st day server overload).

Some of the car models are embarrassingly bad. We're talking last gen here and look like they've been lifted straight from GT4 or 3 - The dimensions are fine but they look flat and pixelated. That the 200 or so 'premier' cars are so exquisitely rendered only shows to highlight the shoddiness of the less exotic machinery, especially as when you start the game you'll only be able to afford the cheap cars.

But...

The driving experience itself IS approaching perfection. I loved the way the cars in general handled in Forza but there wasn't an awful lot of differentiation in the feel of specific models and everything felt glued to the track, arcade-style. Not so here - everything feels realistic and individual. The floatiness that the GT series was sometimes known for has gone but not at the expense of slot-car handling.

The other thing which the game has over Forza is differing conditions - Rain, night racing, rally stages, karts, Nascar, F1 (Ferraris only) and the Holy Grail, the Top Gear test track.

Sadly, unless it's unlockable, you can only race around the Top Gear track in three special races (and one of them is in a flippin' '60s VW Camper van ) so my dreams of trying to beat The Stig's time on individual laps isn't gonna be realised.

I've only scratched the surface.

Nice review, Tact. Not sure why the car models aren't looking as good as they should considering the lengthy wait, but I am still convinced enough to try and download the demo. I like the Turismo series, but haven't been fully engaged since the 2nd one for the PSone.

Here, There and Everywhere
Nice addition to this lovely thread. GTFO with fanboy comments.

I've been playing a lot of Black Ops lately. Online is keeping me entertained, I finished the campaign however and found it a little lacklustre. Sam Worthington's voice acting was horrible and the story itself lacked the over the top moments that Modern Warfare 1 & specifically 2 had.

Nice review, Tact. Not sure why the car models aren't looking as good as they should considering the lengthy wait, but I am still convinced enough to try and download the demo. I like the Turismo series, but haven't been fully engaged since the 2nd one for the PSone.
The game just seems unfinished. Apparently the Sony execs had to intervene with the developers to get them to release the damn thing as the devs were forever tinkering with the sim aspects and putting back the release date - this could explain why so much looks rushed. Heck, there was even a 130mb patch on release day!

But the racing is supreme.

I was up til 2am (had to force myself to get to bed) just fiddling around in the Special Events.

My chavved-up Focus, currently sweeping all before her in the beginner's Rally competitions.

I'm falling for GT5, like the gawky girl in the office when you tell her to take off her specs and let her hair down.

Then get hit with a sexual harassment suit.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Beat Black Ops, but there is a glitch in the trophy system. I beat it on Vet and no Vet trophies popped up. I guess I'll have to play it again.

There was no wow moment for me, there were some cool moments, but no wow factor. The story was engaging enough to keep me interested and I had no problem with any voice acting here.

Online, the servers are garbage, I keep getting disconnected from games. Yet, they did do something good, gotten rid of the ridiculous kill streaks and narrowed it down to 11. no nuke this time.

Suspect's Reviews

Here, There and Everywhere
Beat Black Ops, but there is a glitch in the trophy system. I beat it on Vet and no Vet trophies popped up. I guess I'll have to play it again.

There was no wow moment for me, there were some cool moments, but no wow factor. The story was engaging enough to keep me interested and I had no problem with any voice acting here.

Online, the servers are garbage, I keep getting disconnected from games. Yet, they did do something good, gotten rid of the ridiculous kill streaks and narrowed it down to 11. no nuke this time.
I'll agree with you on the lack of wow factors.
But didn't Sam Worthington's horrid faux American accent make you gag?

My chavved-up Focus, currently sweeping all before her in the beginner's Rally competitions.

I'm falling for GT5, like the gawky girl in the office when you tell her to take off her specs and let her hair down.

Then get hit with a sexual harassment suit.
Lmao, sharing a significant moment in your week, Tact eh? . I u dat mon! I like this car mainly because it's blue, which is my favourite colour and it looks Fast Furiousy. Do you know if it's possible to make anything that could resemble the tumbler from Batman Begins in the game?

Heh, that one's fresh in my mind 'cos I bought the Batman Begins/Dark Knight double Blu Ray pack the other day but there's nothing like that in the game.

There are, however, a couple of VW military(ish) vehicles from the early 1940s complete with army paint jobs but missing the Nazi badges. Very odd - There are no Jeeps, military Land Rovers or Japanese war vehicles.