Your Favourite Australian Movie

Tools    

Walkabout
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Road Warrior
Babe
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Existing threads HERE and HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Alot of praise for Picnic at Hanging Rock good to see

Banned from Hollywood.
Look no further than the first Mad Max...what followed was alright (Road Warrior (really good) and Beyond Thunderdome (good)) ..but nothing beats the originality and surprise of that movie in the series.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Romper Stomper -- ah, what an intense experience!

The Sum of Us -- such a sweet, special film about a gay son and his dad. My mother had a stroke and the ending of this film is extremely personal for me. Seeing Crowe and another guy in an embrace was such a turn on for me, too.

Proof -- a quirky little film with a young Russell Crowe and Hugo Weaving as a blind man who needs a friend. Please check this one out!

Rabbit Proof Fence - fascinating and heartbreaking story

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert -- come now, isn't this the most fun you've had watching a movie?

Gallipoli - omg, that ending is superb -- Gibson running; the freeze frame; wow!

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Peter Weir rocks

Mad Max -- a young Mel Gibson in tight pants; ah, those were the days

Strictly Ballroom - another fun time at the movies.

I'm suddenly interested in The Dish and Walkabout. Have to check them out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Romper Stomper is a borderline flick to me, but there's an awesome series of chase scenes in the middle of the film which are as intense as almost anything in almost any movie, so yes, I recommend it for that part alone.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
In addition, it is because of Romper Stomper that Russell Crowe became a "star." This was the film that led to his making his American debut and you can see Maximus (Gladiator) all over that role in Romper Stomper. It's fun to watch just to see this actor's early promise.

I did finally give it away, though, as I don't have any desire to really see it again.

MightyCelestial: Yea, Dead Calm is a great suspense movie!

Well...I saw a cute live-action/animated movie when I was a girl called "Dot and Keeto" and the follow-up was "Dot and the Whale."

I believe both were Austrailian and they're about nature. No one I have ever met seems to remember these films though...

I'm suddenly interested in The Dish and Walkabout. Have to check them out.
I highly recommend both films. The Dish is such a sweet and funny little film, while Walkabout is pure cinema.

Lots of good ones already mentioned - but I have to add Bad Boy Bubby. The strangest, most haunting - yet very black comedy - movie ever. Everyone that has not seen this film - needs to see it.

The Castle sums up certain Australians pretty spot on and is very funny.

Picnic at Hanging Rock is haunting and beautiful.

Dead Calm is a nice thriller.

Mad Max is just cult brilliant.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert is FABULOUS!

Can't go past The Castle or Strictly Ballroom

I highly recommend both films. The Dish is such a sweet and funny little film, while Walkabout is pure cinema.
The dish is a frightfully boring and forgettable little film. Miles away from The Castle...

Happy New Year from Philly!
My Brilliant Career
The Dish
Strictly Ballroom
Cosi
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Gallipoli
Rabbit Proof Fence
Proof

The dish is a frightfully boring and forgettable little film. Miles away from The Castle...
Well that's your opinion and you're welcome to it... However wrong it is.

BTW, you think Simon Amstell has great hair and you love his jumpers, so I wouldn't get too carried away with yourself.

Has anyone seen the recent Aussie film called Men's Group, personally I thought it was one of the better flicks from Australia over the last couple of years.
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5. Spirited Away

Bad Boy Bubby & Kenny