Most Intellectually Insulting Films

Tools    

Thank you for saying that about Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I thought it was ridiculous and everyone else never saw it that way.

fbi
a lot of the foreign films that have confusing and unresolved storylines which hollywood haters then justify as being an intelligent, unique masterpiece.

Whereas if hollywood made such a film, it woud be deemed as a classic example of bad storytelling and bad amercian film making.
And that this is typical hollywood.

But for intellectually insulting american films the usual suspects is one of them.

WARNING. SPOILERS.

The twist at the end was a twist that came out of nowhere. There was abosolutley nothing during the movie that indicated spacey was lying apart from a brief shot of him looking at the posters and leaflets.

clues to the real twist should be constant so when the viewer looks back, it was clearly there. In this case, it wasnt.

will post more when i remember.

Originally Posted by fbi
Clues to the real twist should be constant so when the viewer looks back, it was clearly there. In [The Usual Suspects], it wasn't.
It's called an "unreliable narrator", and Suspects didn't go out of bounds in that respect. That you didn't groove to it is fine, but to say it is cheating is incorrect. It's no more intellectually insulting than Kurosawa's Rashômon or Fincher's Fight Club (which is to say, not at all).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock
Hell, I'm British and I'm still smarting over U-571.

Don't worry, Michael (edit) Bay has made everything right again. He seems to have claimed US ownership of Beagle 2 <--- click

ROFL

I recently saw parts of Norbit (only because I work in a cinema...no money changed hands) and I can't believe people weren't walking out after seeing this sexiest, racist drivel.

I have to say hackers (1995) was the classic definition of high tech junk. As someone in the field of IT; watching the random purple stuff on the screen as folders of a bank system and watching high school kids accidentally hack the firewall was an absolute joke.

Uh, if there are clues everywhere, it ain't exactly a 'twist', ya dig?
Oh, balderdash. It depends entirely on the nature of the clues. A good twist is one that, in retrospect, you could have reasonably seen coming, but didn't. The Sixth Sense is, of course, a good example of this for most moviegoers.

If you could have seen it coming, it is in retrospect, not a twist. A twist is the unexpected (and presumably unexpectable) turn of events.

And it certainly didn't demand a neg rep.

If you could have seen it coming, it is in retrospect, not a twist. A twist is the unexpected (and presumably unexpectable) turn of events.
I don't know where you get "presumably unexpectable," nor do I know what rigid definition of the word "twist" you're using, but I can think of several prominent examples to the contrary.

The most obvious, which I've already mentioned, is The Sixth Sense. It contains a revelation that is almost invariably described as a "twist," yet clues about the eventual revelation are littered throughout the film.

There are, of course, examples to the contrary. The Usual Suspects, which contains much less in the way of foreshadowing, but is still regarded as having a "twist."

The word "twist," then, is obviously used to describe many dramatic revelations, whether they were hinted at a great deal or not. You can use it however you like, of course, but given it's breadth of meaning and usage I'm not sure what basis you have for correcting other people with the one you fancy.

And it certainly didn't demand a neg rep.
Then we have divering opinions as to what should receive negative rep. I thought your post was a bit condescending, and didn't really make any sense. That's usually enough for me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll agree with the OP's statements on IZO.

Suspect's Reviews

What the Bleep Do We Know? I've never been more insulted in my life. 2 hours I'll never get back.

I don't know where you get "presumably unexpectable," nor do I know what rigid definition of the word "twist" you're using, but I can think of several prominent examples to the contrary.

The most obvious, which I've already mentioned, is The Sixth Sense. It contains a revelation that is almost invariably described as a "twist," yet clues about the eventual revelation are littered throughout the film.

There are, of course, examples to the contrary. The Usual Suspects, which contains much less in the way of foreshadowing, but is still regarded as having a "twist."

The word "twist," then, is obviously used to describe many dramatic revelations, whether they were hinted at a great deal or not. You can use it however you like, of course, but given it's breadth of meaning and usage I'm not sure what basis you have for correcting other people with the one you fancy.

Then we have divering opinions as to what should receive negative rep. I thought your post was a bit condescending, and didn't really make any sense. That's usually enough for me.
Agreed. The Usual Suspects is a textbook example of the twist thing. Even if you saw one aspect coming a mile away, the bulletin board revelation scene had so many reveals that no one could see em all coming. I mean, Kobyashi......c'mon!