What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

*TIME is nothing. LIFE is somthing*
the last movie I saw at the theaters is The Hills Have Eyes.
its really scary, but I like it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Proposition. I'd been looking forward to this one but it was nasty and not much fun and the story seemed to lose its way completely by the end. Entertaining appearance from John Hurt as a drunk bounty hunter.

Three people left the screening during an 'invasion' scene...not quite 'The Hills Have Eyes', OG, but not family viewing, that's for sure...

The Hills Have Eyes

Excellent, by far the best remake and probably the best horror i've seen in a long time. I, too, had a fair few chicks leave the cinema, which made me laugh. Hills wasn't perfect, i did have a few gripes but the aspects it improved on the original more than made up for it.

The last Movie I saw The Pink Pather- terrible movie.

V for Vendetta

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oooooooh Child Praise The Lord!!!
Big Mommas House 2 - Boy you are two Kinds of Crazy!!!

Success is the only Earthly judge..
I know it's been said but the hills have eyes takes the prize!!!!

I saw Taegukgi at my college. I may rent it from TigerCinema.com this weekend. Pretty cool film.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Manderlay.

Very excited to see that my local cinema decided to show this! Not as good as Dogville, and too much narration, but still good; the staging still worked, it was thought provoking (of course), with plenty of ironic, sometimes humorous twists of fate (or rather story). Definitely worth going to see.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
V for Vendetta

Did I watch the same movie everyone else did? How, for the love of god, is this movie garnering such genuine praise from more than a handful of people? Surely we are not a nation of 6 year olds.

Yes, the political implications are superficially interesting, but James McTeigue is a joke of a director. He handles the mildly provocative story of an extremist madman with the same regard in which a fat kid handles a piece of cake. He gobbles at every corner of the plate without ever once stopping to savor the emotions the movie was always, in every single scene, lacking. Satire is only good when you laugh at the subject matter and the reality it implies, not when you're laughing at the ineptitude to make such implications.

But I guess all of this was preempted by the Wachowski's screenplay and their incessant need to try to pound it into the viewers brain that the physicalities don't matter as much as what they symbolize. A noble statement, but V for Vendetta is only a symbol for incompetent filmmaking. We feel absolutely nothing for these characters. Not one iota of emotion or relatability. McTeigue works a scene with the same seamless finesse as my first kiss - he just doesn't know how to do it, closes his eyes and plunges in. And he gets the cheek.

Was there not a dime left in the budget after it got pillaged by an over-charging effects department for some solid music? The classical was perfect, why wouldn't it be, but the rest of the musical choices were simply bad music. The blocking was clearly evident of McTeigue's second-unit roots as there was little to no continuity of style between any two shots in the movie. I burst out into a fit of laughter when there was a rain drop POV shot of Portman getting drenched - for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Oh, and of course it had to be intercut with V doing his impersonation of Darth Vader's Episode III scream of pain.

The flashback sequence of the film, which lasts eons longer than it should, is about as functional as Stephen Hawking's legs. It was the rock bottom of the film and it occured with close to half the movie left to go. Pathetic.

Universally contrieved, V for Vendetta banks solely on the hope that the viewer will be a person who is already convinced that the politics of the film are accurate and reflective of Western society and that this staunch belief will allow them to forgive the rest of the film's omnipotent shortcommings. A complete and utter failure of a film.

the last movie I saw at the theater was Syriana, though complicated to discern various storylines, it was a very good movie

V for Vendetta

I can see why a lot of people might not like it, but I loved it because of its political views.

stranger then a drunken mime
The Hills Have Eyes

A system of cells interlinked
V for Vendetta - Great stuff. Four of us went, and we all loved it. My girlfriend was especially taken with the V character, so they nailed his tragic/romantic self pretty well for the screen. I agree with Peter in that the flashback sequence was handled incorrectly, but, for the people I was with who weren;t familiar with the source material, the reveal worked and was genuinely surprising. Peter mentiones it seemed too long, but it was actually truncated a bit for the film, and plays a bit of a larger part in the comics (I presume you are talking about the messages on the tp, Peter).

Yeah, we did feel for the characters, and I know many people who would agree on that. If I liked it, and no one else I knew did, I would just chalk it up to my somewhat poor taste in film, but I think this time around, that isn't the case.

As for the direction, it didn't seem that bad to me. There were a couple of mis-steps, but for a freshman outing, it was stellar. Of course, the Wachowski's prabably set up some training wheels and had their hands in things quite a bit, but I expected that.

I am wondering if you saw the same film, to, OG. You mention that the film never took a break to let us think about things or get into the characters, but the film wasn't a face paced action picture, at all. There was plenty of time to take things in. If anything it was paced too slowly, not the other way around.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

V for Vendetta

Also, politics accurate? Accurate to what? It was a fictional totalitarian state... Anyone who is attempting to apply current US politics to this film, shouldn't, as it isn't, and never was, about the US, at all. This material was an extrapolation of Thatcher's government in the early 80s. Any similarities found with the current US political landscape is purely in the mind of the viewer.

In the Beginning...
Excellent post, Sedai. Completely agree.

Although, I should like to add that I really didn't like the televised segment with V on air speaking to the people of London. They butchered what I consider some of the best writing of the book. If anything, that needed to be verbatim. Plus, they played this musical track, and cut over it with scenes of people sitting in their houses or at the pub...

It's a potent scene in the book, and it needed to be closer to the book's representation. He sits at the desk, speaks to England as if it's a person, and talks about the history of the world in front of real-world images. For that moment, he has taken over the airwaves, and nothing can or will interrupt him. In the film, they've got all this stuff going on during his speech, so it undercut the whole point.