Movie Poster a Day with JayDee

Tools    

I absolutely love those Dracula posters! Bela Lugosi was truly one of a kind!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
October 14th

Well the list dictates that once again it's the turn of Jaws, the film that is fast becoming the official mascot of this thread. Fortunately there seems no end to the number of options available. Of all the films out there I'm not sure any have more great 'fan' posters than Jaws. Like the previous two posters this is yet another one which does not actually feature the iconic shark in the flesh, instead suggesting his presence through another clever concept. And as with Dracula I've also included a variant which alludes to its stars' bloodlust

Jaws
(1975, d. Steven Spielberg / Artist - Phantom City Creative)

October 6th

The Top 100 Horror list dictates that today belongs to Ridley Scott's Alien. There are loads and loads of designs out there but as someone who is not overly familiar with the film I was struggling to choose which to go with. Then I saw this one and there was just something about it that caught my attention. It's a clean, simple, minimal design that I think just works terrifically well. I love the texturing of it. And the blood streaks are very cool, alluding to the three 'blood' types that feature in the film - human, alien and android.

Alien
(1979, d. Ridley Scott / Artist - Adam Rabalais)

Oh! Android blood, thats what that was! Ok then
That's a really brilliant idea, and a very intelligent sidestep away from what you would expect. Maybe the only downside is that it's one for fans of the film rather than doing the job that the original poster did – and perhaps also giving too much away into the bargain.

When I saw it it reminded me of Alister Pearson's cover painting for the novelisation of Survival, the last broadcast TV story of Doctor Who's classic era:

Pearson was always an extremely clever designer as well as a first-class artist and his idea of painting tears in the artwork was really inspired.

October 15th

Today's poster comes from Tyler Stout, someone I've considered including a couple of times before but had decided against it. He is undoubtedly one of the most popular artists around but he also splits opinion somewhat. He has a large group of fans who love him and some of his work goes for ridiculous prices. There are also those who are not a fan of his style however, finding it too crowded, too busy and lacking in personality. And I often find myself to be of that opinion, though I do believe this is certainly one of his best. Let's see what the board's opinion is

And again if you want to examine it in greater detail go here

Shaun of the Dead

(2004, d. Edgar Wright / Artist - Tyler Stout)

Just to embellish I love the detail and how to take in the entire picture completely, it takes some time because you have to look at each character. Almost like a comic strip. Anyway these are my fav style of movie posters.

October 16th

I've decided to make today another Double Poster Day, even if I have no real reason for doing so. First up is this Spanish poster from the film's original release by the great Macario Gomez Quibus (aka Mac)

The Howling
(1981, d. Joe Dante / Poster Origin - Spain / Artist - Macario Gomez Quibus (aka Mac))

And then the second is this modern offering from 'Ghoulish' Gary Pullin

The Howling
(1981, d. Joe Dante / Artist - Ghoulish Gary Pullin)

October 17th

Brains! Brains! Must eat brains!

The Return of the Living Dead
(1985, d. Dan O'Bannon / Artist - Eric Tan)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
lovin these posters!!!!
Seen some of Stout's work and yeah it does get VERY busy and unless you care to, you miss a lot if you don't take the time to really delve into them.

October 18th

Two posters again, this time for Poltergeist. The first is this fairly subtle, but very moody and atmospheric effort

Poltergeist
(1982, d. Tobe Hooper / Artist - Ken Taylor)

And then from Pakistan we have this freaky poster which bins any sense of subtlety. While it doesn't particularly come from the actual film I love the evil eyes and how the face and water blend together

Poltergeist
(1982, d. Tobe Hooper / Poster Origin - Pakistan)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The top one has a tree with a face and arms (at the lit window level), and the bottom one looks like a mushroom cloud.

October 20th

Well I missed yet another day. Though for any MoFos who are concerned about my health and wellbeing this thread is a pretty good way to gauge it. If I've missed a day then you know it's most likely been a day day for me.

So to keep on track I need to do two movies again. However I've done Double Poster Day so often that I don't think that alone will stand out. So I'm doing Triple Poster Day right? That would be the logical thing to do after all. Wrong! It's the unprecedented Quadruple Poster Day!!!

First up it's Wes Craven's meta horror classic, Scream. Now the large majority of posters for Scream will undoubtedly feature the Ghostface mask; it's a truly iconic symbol after all. This poster features the Ghostface image but manages to do it in a completely original way. As well as being a cool design I think it also goes a long way to capturing the spirit of the film. The poster lets you know that you're in for something that is both darkly funny but at the same time pretty gory.

Scream
(1996, d. Wes Craven / Artist - Alex Pardee)

And then this one is simply just pretty awesome. It's like the spectre of the killer is just hanging over this community.

Scream
(1996, d. Wes Craven / Artist - Florey)

October 20th (Part Two)

And the second film today is one of the few great remakes out there, David Cronenberg's The Fly. First there's this poster which has a fairly straight-forward design but the level of detail in Goldblum's face is great and I think it captures a real sense of intensity and danger

The Fly
(1986, d. David Cronenberg / Artist - Gil Tokio)

And then this poster features the pretty simple but very cool and creepy concept of a fly made up from the bones of a human skeleton.

The Fly
(1986, d. David Cronenberg / Artist - Tom Whalen)

First up it's Wes Craven's meta horror classic, Scream. Now the large majority of posters for Scream will undoubtedly feature the Ghostface mask; it's a truly iconic symbol after all. This poster features the Ghostface image but manages to do it in a completely original way. As well as being a cool design I think it also goes a long way to capturing the spirit of the film. The poster lets you know that you're in for something that is both darkly funny but at the same time pretty gory.

Scream
(1996, d. Wes Craven / Artist - Alex Pardee)

I don't think of Scream as a "pretty gory" movie.

Originally Posted by JayDee
And then this one is simply just pretty awesome. It's like the spectre of the killer is just hanging over this community.
Originally Posted by JayDee

Scream
(1996, d. Wes Craven / Artist - Florey)

THAT captures the spirit of Scream far more than the other one. I prefer it.

Why did I forget this thread!

Amazing posters, JD! I feel stimulated and moisturised... Seriously, some really original, thought provoking and visually stunning ones in here. Funny, there are actually a few I have seen before, which was not the case earlier on... I have seen the Shaun of the Dead one and the Wicker Man one before.