Movies that have been copied...

Tools    

I heard the rumor about Dredd/Raid rip-off was completely false. They were made at the exact same moment and no one knew about the other.

Anyways Raid>>>>>Dredd

I heard the rumor about Dredd/Raid rip-off was completely false. They were made at the exact same moment and no one knew about the other.

Anyways Raid>>>>>Dredd
amen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well. I'm not so quick to cry "Stolen", but Jaws was a rip-off of Moby Dick.
A place in the sun by george stevens was strikingly similar, and IMO far superior, to the critically acclaimed Sunrise
A Place in the Sun is based on Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, filmed in 1931 by Josef von Sternberg.

Well. I'm not so quick to cry "Stolen", but Jaws was a rip-off of Moby Dick.

A Place in the Sun is based on Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, filmed in 1931 by Josef von Sternberg.
Well sunrise came out in 1927. Maybe An American Tragedy was based on that?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well, every movie Tarantino has made comes from more than a few other movies... In soundtrack, plot and even characters!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
In my opinion, it's hard to come up with a really original story, almost everything was already made!

But the cinematography, the script, the acting, the soundtrack, etc, can make a difference, even if the story is already seen!

I think Tarantino said he used Kubrick's "The Killing" as the inspiration for Reservoir Dogs.
Inspiration is different than copied

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Are you guys saying Dredd is the copy or agreeing with me?

Dredd's script was written in 2007 when Garland was working on Sunshine. It then sat in hiatus for a while before they put Dredd into full production in 2010, eventually finished filming in 2011, then releasing it in 2012.

Dredd's script was leaked online in 2009. The Raid filmmakers got hold of Dredd's script, adjusted it slightly, and then went from preproduction to completely made over 2010-2011... technically, preproduction to finished product took them less than 4 months... and then released it in 2011. They basically churned it out quick as they knew they had to get it released before Dredd.

Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Departed yet. While it is a brilliantly made film, it's an American translation of the first in a Hong Kong trilogy called Infernal Affairs.
I think the reason The Departed might not have been mentioned is because it is a remake of Infernal Affairs and the subject of the thread is not remakes, but movies where the idea was stolen from another film,,,yeah, it's a fine line, but there is a slight difference.

IMO
disturbia is a remake and update of rear window. good movies should be remade very 30+ years or so. even if it's inferior, at least someone tried.

Avatar is a shamelessly safe copy of a trope. Cameron wasn't trying to create a great movie, he was trying to maximize revenue. Him and Lucas have a bit of a pissing match on who could make more. They used statisticians to make their movie based on the greatest number of viewers who like it. e.g., dances with wolves a tried a true storyline, replace with faces that were scientifically created to resemble cats. see red letter media's star war extensive analysis for more info.

Compared to how ground breaking and original his previous movies were, I hate that we lost a great sci fi movie maker (we dont' have many) to selling out. If you're too averted to risk, you'll never contribute anything original

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this so I will...

In 1986, in the country of Argentina, a film was made called "Hombre mirando al sudeste" aka "Man Facing Southeast"...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091214/

In 2001, in the United States, Hollywood decided to make a similar film called "K-Pax", which was a rip off of "Hombre mirando al sudeste".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272152/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Wikipedia - Plagiarism lawsuit[edit]
Complaints of plagiarism of the 1986 Argentinian film Man Facing Southeast were made by its makers, and Gene Brewer and others connected with the K-PAX film were subsequently sued in November 2001. The complaint was later withdrawn, and Gene Brewer went on to release a memoir exploring his inspiration for the books called Creating K-PAX or Are You Sure You Want to Be a Writer?
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Screen......-a080456525

On Avatar, what about it using Atlantis, Star Wars, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Lawrence of Arabia, Castle in The Sky,A Man Called Horse, Last of the Mohicians etc.?

And for Matrix, what about using Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Hard Boiled, T2, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Dragonball Z, Fist of the north star etc.?

I actually quite enjoyed Disturbia despite the plot being taken from Rear Window

Also Olympus Has Fallen & White House Down are literally the same plot and it's kind of funny because they both came out not even 5 months apart. Although I'm sure both have stolen the plot from some other movie i've never seen. I've watched both and I gotta say despite both having the same plot I actually enjoyed Olympus has Fallen and didn't really like WHD.

I'm not talking remakes, I'm talking "kinda stolen" whether it's the writing, plot, etc... I don't want to name anything quite yet, as I don't want to influence this thread, but I see way too many movies that seem like they are disguised as something else, by changing a few meaningless things, and making it as their own.
Not a film but there was a Doctor Who audio called Nekromanteia that was far too reliant on what made the TV story The Caves of Androzani such a success. It was a terrible mess and really p***** me off at the time .