Modern Masterpieces?

Tools    

I fall into that camp. I personally don't think that family friendly movies can be as profound since they have to censor out darker and more complex content and elements of the human psyche - that doesn't mean they can't be "good", it just means they can't (and aren't trying) to be as profound, since they're meant for kids to be able to enjoy them.

Comparing them to serious movies is really apples to oranges anyway, since they aren't trying to be "serious" to begin with. It'd be like comparing the Beatles to Mozart.
Dude I know what your saying, but the lego movie has social commentary and tells children they are special at the same time. It's genius because theres something for the adults and the kids to pick up on. A deeper satire and a nice message, it's just hidden in witty hilarious dialog, great fast paced action and funny characters. And I don't think you need to be dark to be profound, you can explore things that aren't too dark for kids or if you do you can be subtle about them. How to train your dragon deals with amputees, Up deals with death, Happy feet has anti-religious symbolism! In the incredibles Elastigirl sits with her children and tells them that this isn't a Saturday Morning Cartoon, these bad guys will try and kill you first chance they get.
You don't have to be the bad guy. You are the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary person in the universe. And you are capable of amazing things. Because you are the Special. And so am I. And so is everyone. -Emmet, The Lego Movie.

Go watch Kingsman, the movie is amazing
Yeah, Matthew Vaughn is becoming one of my favorite directors. I still have to see Layer Cake though.

The Dark Knight
Inception
The Artist
No Country For Old Men
The King's Speech
The Social Network

Just off the top of my head.

Lu Chuan's: The Last Supper.

This has become my go-to film on the board anytime this sort of topic comes up: Synecdoche, New York. If it doesn't qualify as a masterpiece, then there is no such thing as a masterpiece.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Based on your initial pick of Drive (haven't seen Nightcrawler) I'd recommend Bronson (2008)

From the past five years I really liked Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Cloud Atlas and Only Lovers Left Alive, although the latter might not be to everyone's taste. Wadjda is a genuine masterpiece and Birdman is really good. They'd probably be my top 5 for this decade so far.

Further back if you liked Drive you might like Oldboy. Head-On, Lost in Translation, Downfall and Brokeback Mountain are others I'd consider modern masterpieces from the 2000-2009 era.

If you wanted to stretch back to the late 90s, I'd include films like Festen and Fight Club.

Other contenders: Let the Right One In, Spirited Away, 28 Days Later, City of God, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days, The Pianist, Dancer in the Dark, In the Mood For Love, Dogville, Black Hawk Down, Werckmeister Harmonies, Lilting

I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
Great picks! I'm surprised you chose Wadjda as one of your masterpieces, it's not that I didn't like it, it's just that I didn't think that it was as popular around the world as it is in Saudi Arabia (Where I'm from), I also think you should definitely check out Nightcrawler.

We seem to have a similar taste as I have seen 95% of the movies you recommended and would consider some of them masterpieces as well, so I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy Nightcrawler.

The reason why I hadn't included all of my picks was I was I was more interested in what the rest of you guys had to say. Thanks for the recommendations.

Masterpieces made since 2010 in animation include the following:

The Wind Rises
PMMM
The Tale Princess Kaguyahime
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Shirobako

Hyouge Mono is also great though I found it rather difficult to watch.

In live action film I haven't watched anything that could be a masterpiece made after 2010, though The Master, Gravity, A Separation and Interestelar were pretty good, Uncle Boonmee is pretty dry and clumsy IMO and The Tree of Life is disgustingly pretentious and overreaching.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
In live action film I haven't watched anything that could be a masterpiece made after 2010, though The Master, Gravity, A Separation and Interestelar were pretty good, Uncle Bomme is pretty dry and clumsy IMO and The Tree of Life is disgustingly pretentious and overreaching.
Hmm

It's Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives directed by Apichatpon Weerasethakul

Thanks for the grammatical correction. It was interesting movie but I didn't resonate very strongly to me.

Anyway posts comments or PM me for grammatical correction instead of wasting posts on it.

*Thinks Black Swan is a Masterpiece but hates Drive
Oh yeah, Drive, now that's a ameircan live action that I found particularly compelling. Indeed my favorite live action film from the past 5 years.

A Separation (2011) - Asghar Farhadi
Still Walking (2008) - Hirokazu Koreeda
Before Midnight (2013) - Richard Linklater
The Turin Horse (2011) - Bela Tarr
Poetry (2010) - Lee Chang Dong
Blue is the Warmest Color (2013) - Abdel Kechiche
Amour (2012) - Michael Haneke
Nebraska (2013) - Alexander Payne

Just some of the great movies from the last 10 years.