Modern Masterpieces?

Tools    

I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
Best contemporary-classic movies that came out in the past 5-10 years? Some of my personal favourites include Nightcrawler and Drive, both of these films had a similar feel, maybe it was because they both had the same producers.

In my opinion, Nightcrawler is the closest thing we can get to Taxi Driver set in today's modern society. People will look back at Nightcrawler and say,"That's what the world was like in 2014.", much like how we look back at Taxi Driver as our window into 1976.

Zodiac, Children of Men, District 9 and Eastern Promises. Four off the top.

Ew Drive ... I'd rather watch paint dry

Some of the more recent ones...I'd say Wolf of Wall Street, There Will Be Blood, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, 12 Years a Slave, Lincoln, A Most Violent Year, Rush, Gone Girl, American Sniper, Black Swan

A system of cells interlinked
It's 15 years ago, but Mulholland Drive, for sure.

Zodiac, Children of Men, District 9 and Eastern Promises. Four off the top.
Heard so much about it but I couldn't really get into Children of Men. The whole plot and setting just seemed a little dumb to me.

is my rating.

Edit: I agree that Nightcrawler is a modern masterpiece.

Edit edit: And No Country for Old Men.

Yeah Nightcrawler was fantastic, although idk if i'd put it along side Drive though, I didn't like Drive at all to be perfectly honest. The Departed is another one that will stand the test of time.

American Sniper is very overrated though, it wasn't terrible but not worthy of being Nominated for an Oscar, imo Nightcrawler should of been nominated instead of AS.

I have to agree Zodiac was great as well. Gyllenhaal just keeps proving more and more that he is a great actor.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There's a lot for me. Just for 2011:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I have to return some videotapes.
The Social Network
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac
Gone Girl
Nightcrawler
No Country for Old Men
Wolf of Wall Street

A Fincher fan, I take it? I am a big fan of his, as well.
Assuming you're talking to me, bigtime.

Se7en, The Social Network, Gone Girl, Fight Club, Zodiac are all some of the best from the past 20 years if not all time.

Meh, I have no desire to see Kingsman. Selma is a good film, but I don't think i'd really ever want to watch it again. Haven't seen Frank.

Meh, I have no desire to see Kingsman. Selma is a good film, but I don't think i'd really ever want to watch it again. Haven't seen Frank.
If your ever looking for a fun time Kingsman is perfect, I think i'm biased towards the quality because i won tickets to the premiere. Frank is a great little indie movie and I thought Selma deserved Best Picture most out of the nominated films this year at the oscars.

Ew Drive ... I'd rather watch paint dry

Some of the more recent ones...I'd say Wolf of Wall Street, There Will Be Blood, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, 12 Years a Slave, Lincoln, A Most Violent Year, Rush, Gone Girl, American Sniper, Black Swan
*Thinks Black Swan is a Masterpiece but hates Drive

The Lego Movie is an amazing movie that people won't watch just because EWW ITS NOT AN OSCAR WINNING SERIOUS DRAMATIC INDIE MOVIE!
You don't have to be the bad guy. You are the most talented, most interesting, and most extraordinary person in the universe. And you are capable of amazing things. Because you are the Special. And so am I. And so is everyone. -Emmet, The Lego Movie.

The Lego Movie is an amazing movie that people won't watch just because EWW ITS NOT AN OSCAR WINNING SERIOUS DRAMATIC INDIE MOVIE!
I fall into that camp. I personally don't think that family friendly movies can be as profound since they have to censor out darker and more complex content and elements of the human psyche - that doesn't mean they can't be "good", it just means they can't (and aren't trying) to be as profound, since they're meant for kids to be able to enjoy them.

Comparing them to serious movies is really apples to oranges anyway, since they aren't trying to be "serious" to begin with. It'd be like comparing the Beatles to Mozart.