Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

My Teacher’s Wife (Bruce Leddy, 1999)
+
Drive (Steve Wang, 1997)

The Battle of Shaker Heights (Efram Potelle & Kyle Rankin, 2003)

Living with Lincoln (Peter W. Kunhardt & Brian Oakes, 2015)

Five generations of the director’s ancestors have collected and preserved the greatest amount of photographs and personal information on the 16th president that survives.
Marriage Italian Style (Vittorio De Sica, 1964)

Another Me (Elizabeth Coixet, 2014)

Private Valentine: Blonde & Dangerous aka Major Movie Star (Steve Miner, 2008)
+
The Gold of Naples (Vittorio De Sica, 1954)

Boss Paolo Stoppa warns faithless pizza maker Sophia Loren to be careful with her wedding ring.
The Dust Factory (Eric Small, 2004)

Human Voice (Edoardo Ponti, 2014)
+
Danger Zone (Allan Eastman, 1996)
+
Hostel (Eli Roth, 2005)

A nice comforting image from the explicit sex and violence epic.
I Will Follow (Ava DuVernay, 2011)

Around June (James Savoca, 2008)

The Reluctant Fundamentalist (Mira Nair, 2013)
+
The Big Fix (Joshua Tickell & Rebecca Harrell Tickell, 2012)

In 2010, the collapse of a BP deep sea oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico causes an environmental and an economic disaster and a coverup of massive proportions.
Patrick (Mark Hartley, 2013)
+
Summer of Blood (Onar Tukel, 2014)

On the Road (Walter Salles, 2012)
+
Arachnophobia (Frank Marshall, 1990)

Just for gbg – the ultimate spider movie.

L'Age d'Or- I won't even sugarcoat it. This was effing painful. Probably the longest hour I have ever spent. I am by no means foreign to silent movies, as I really enjoy Keaton, Murnau, Chaplin,etc. More Bunuel in the future? Sure. More silent Bunuel? Nahhhhh homie.
You're so right, one of the most pointless films I've ever seen. And I'm a pretty big fan of Bunuel.

I've watched 5 movies over the past 5 weeks (4 from the last year). I've had the DVD for Z sitting at home for the same amount of time, still need to get to that. I think I'll be able to watch more movies come summer, hopefully better ones too.

The Baba dook dook dook
Recent Watches:
No Good Deed (Sam Miller, 2014)-

The War Room (Documentary, 1993)-

The Babadook (Kent, 2014)-
-
Big Eyes (Burton, 2014)-

Goodbye to Language (Godard, 2014)-

I honestly didn't watch much of Goodbye to Language but it's gibberish, and I don't have to listen to gibberish for 70 minutes to understand that I don't care for it. Listening- well reading- wasn't even the worst the part. the visual aspect of the film is equally gibberish. It's likely been two years since I've last given this rating, but I found a film that deserves it. I think I'm done with Godard, anything post Breathless has served no purpose to me. Pretentious bullsh*t.

No Good Deed is awful too, but it's just a never ending circle. Actually really reminds me of how I felt in Trespass but even more repetitive through out. There's nothing there worth watching for. By the time the twist comes, which if you haven't predicted yet, you couldn't care less about the film. Accomplishes nothing.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Public Enemies
-
It seems that Mann's films continuously get more esoteric and divisive as his career goes forward. Public Enemies is certainly a very interesting film and one that I might need to view at least one more time in order to provide a coherent opinion. Regardless, I feel that the film's digital aesthetic works really well and the action sequences are just as good as anything Mann has ever done. Overall a good film, but not one of his best.

Ginger and Fred

A pure delight from the start to finish, and a beautiful gem in Fellini's massive decades spanning filmography. This is a lovely film and it was much funnier than I expected. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time and I wouldn't mind viewing this one again sometime in the coming months. This is a must-see for any Fellini enthusiast, and I'd still recommend it towards those looking to get into his films. Loved it.

Sans Soleil

Hypnotic and unique, but don't think I got too much out of it. Desperately need to see it again.

The 39 Steps
-
Slow start aside, this is an excellent classic thriller from the master of suspense. Beautifully photographed, great performances, and sharp pacing makes this is a genuinely great thriller. It isn't Psycho or Vertigo, but this is definitely a remarkable early achievement from one of Cinema's greatest auteurs.

Interstellar
-
Flaws and Nolan spoonfeeding aside this is the best sci-fi film of the 21st century and my favorite film from Nolan. With Pfister finally gone, this is the first Nolan film that was able to actually impress with me with it's cinematography. The action setpieces are beyond impressive, the Hans Zimmer score is breathtaking, and the film is incredibly ambitious for being a huge 100$+ million blockbuster. The biggest problem of the film is the problem that plagues all of Nolan's movies: He overexplains sh*t. He just doesn't trust his audience apparantly.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Goodbye to Language (Godard, 2014)-
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

...a pozdravuji vlaątovky [And Give My Love to the Swallows] (1972) -

雪の断章 情熱 [Lost Chapter of Snow: Passion] (1985) -

沙羅双樹 [Shara] (2003) -

Blast from the Past (Hugh Wilson, 1999)

Zulu (Cy Endfield, 1964)

The Silver Chalice (Rewatch) (Victor Saville, 1954)

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Ed Radomski, Bruce Timm, et. al, 1993)

Cidade de Deus (City of God) (Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)
+

12 O’Clock Boys (Lotfy Nathan, 2014)
-
Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance (Mark Kidel, 2014)

No God, No Master (Terry Green, 2013)

From What Is Before (Lav Diaz, 2015)
338 min

The Phillippines, the early 1970s. In a rural village, strange happenings occur, and two sisters with healing powers attempt to combat the possible causes, although the younger (Karerina Haniel) has constant convulsions and needs to be cared for by the elder (Hazel Orencio).
Sushi Girl (Kern Sexton, 2012)

The Roost (Ti West, 2005)

Zombie Honeymoon (David Gebroe, 2003)
+
Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story (Alex Holmes, 2014)
+

Professional road-racing bicyclist Lance Armstrong overcame cancer and went on to win seven consecutive Tour de Frances, but the fairy tale exploded when his doping charges were finally proven and it became known to what degree he went to win, corrupt the system and destroy his friends’ lives.
BloodRayne: The Third Reich (Uwe Boll, 2011)

John Dies at the End (Don Coscarelli, 2012)

The Stoned Age (James Melkonian, 1994)

Fearless (Ronnie Yu, 2006)

Huo Yuangia (Jet Li) is a Chinese martial artist who fought many foreigners, instilling national pride and later “founded” the Jin Wu Sports Federation which trained fighters openly and in public.
Fletch Lives (Michael Ritchie, 1989)

A Dark Truth (Damian Lee, 2013)
+
Shortcut to Happiness aka The Devil and Daniel Webster (Harry Kirkpatrick [Alec Baldwin], 2003/7)

Genesis: Sum of the Parts aka Genesis: Together and Apart (John Edginton, 2014)

Rock group Genesis (Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett) get together and reminisce about their work together and as solo artists and how they’ve evolved over 45 years.
Angels of Darkness aka Styria (Mauricio Chernovetzky & Mark Devendorf, 2014)

Dreamcatcher (Kim Longinotto, 2015)

Lost River (Ryan Gosling, 2015)
-
My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)

Catbus reunites the two sisters.

Minio: You should add the directors' names to these films you post.

Mark/whoever: I've been wondering whether I will watch From What Is Before as I have Mubi, I probably will eventually. Is there any other (shorter) available films from the director you'd recommend first, or should it be okay to dive right in? You didn't seem to dislike it Mark, so it must have its merits, and every photo I see looks beautiful.

Mark/whoever? I think Lav Diaz has turned his back on "shorter" films, and this one is about average length now, but I haven't seen any others.
I didn't mean that you were 'whoever', more 'or whoever', as in 'whoever' could reply, as I'm sure bluedeed or one of the other arthouse crew ( ) might have something to say if they saw the post.

And fair enough, I've noticed most of his films seem hard to get, chances are I'll watch this one whilst it's on Mubi.

The visceral settings of the film are the most-impressive thing about it. The beach, the river, the wind constantly blowing. The political commentary kicks in the last couple of hours and adds some deeper meaning, but that's in the eye of the beholder and depends on the viewer's awareness of Philippine history.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I didn't mean that you were 'whoever', more 'or whoever', as in 'whoever' could reply, as I'm sure bluedeed or one of the other arthouse crew ( ) might have something to say if they saw the post.

And fair enough, I've noticed most of his films seem hard to get, chances are I'll watch this one whilst it's on Mubi.
Haven't gotten into Lav Diaz yet, I was planning on it for the summer. Last summer I tackled Jacques Rivette's mammoth films. I'm a bit wary to get into Diaz for a number of reasons, but I don't know enough about him yet to say. I end my semester on the 4th, and I was thinking about watching From What is Before after that. Also, let me know if you're concerned with finding movies that may be harder to get

Haven't gotten into Lav Diaz yet, I was planning on it for the summer. Last summer I tackled Jacques Rivette's mammoth films. I'm a bit wary to get into Diaz for a number of reasons, but I don't know enough about him yet to say. I end my semester on the 4th, and I was thinking about watching From What is Before after that. Also, let me know if you're concerned with finding movies that may be harder to get
I'm just looking at Rivette now and wow... I never realised all his films were so long. Out of all the French New Wave directors I have heard of or seen he is by far the most obscure when it comes to what I know about his work. I, like you, will have to find some time to actually get round to watching his film. So many directors I have yet to explore.

And yeah sure, I normally don't have that many problems, but as I go more obscure I might take up that offer

It Follows

The scariest movie in years. Those who have played the game Fez will instantly recognize the dreamlike synth heavy score by Disasterpiece. I feel like most slashers have an anti-sex agenda and this one just cranks that to a hundred. The first half is brilliant heart pounding stuff, pure smart entertainment. The second half is clunkier and makes the monster too literal. Still you should check this out, the best movie of 2015 so far.

Monkey Kingdom

Beautiful photography, one of the best looking films I've seen in the theater for awhile. Tina Fey's narration wobbly treads the line between informative and cheeseball jokes. I honestly wish there were more bad jokes, but then again there is a moment where a monkey jumps around trying to woo his mate, set to Salt N' Peppa's "What a Man".

The scene where the monkeys invade the birthday party is a masterpiece.

The Lost World : Jurassic Park

Julliane Moore : I'm here to observe the dinosaurs, nobody disrupt their ecosystem or I can't do my work. *literally 1 minute later she goes up a dinosaur and tries to pet it*

Julliane Moore : Stop touching the dinosaurs you idiots, I need to see them in their natural state. *carries a wounded baby t-rex into her trailer to perform surgery on it and gets everyone killed*

*Jeff Goldblum's biologically impossible black daughter tarzan swings on some rope to kick a raptor out of a window*

Goldblum : They kicked you off the gym team ?

I don't know if this is Spielberg's worst movie or if it's his masterpiece.

8 1/2

The first time I've actually watched this entire movie (although i stopped halfway and took a nap, then watched the rest later that night). I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand you have some incredible visual moments, like the opening dream sequence or the part where Guido's dream woman floats into the spa. Then on the other hand you have these infinite scenes with pretentious droning dialogue that feels like Fellini gave up on having these diverse characters and just wants to give a speech.

This movie obviously holds a huge influence over all the surreal cinema following it. I've seen so many segments and ideas completely lifted out of here in at least a dozen other films. I appreciate the creativity and ambition, but for every genius moment there are two half-baked ideas. Fellini criticizes his own film throughout and he's right to do so because there just isn't enough honest, real content here.

La Dolce Vita

I watched this one before 8 1/2 actually, they're both segmented and episodic, but this an almost opposite film. Here is Fellini exuding confidence, back to back enormous chaotic set pieces. I'd describe La Dolce Vita as the kinetic love child of Citizen Kane and Sunset Boulevard. Every other scene is some sort of haze soaked wild party. The first is a massive entourage desperately prying for the attention of a lively A-list american actress. Then we have a segment where Marcello's (Rubini) estranged father sort of breezily bumps into him and they go have a night on the town. He even finds the perfect venue (a gathering of established intellectuals) to spout off philosophical bla bla.

The entire film is about excess but the the only part where La Dolce Vita dwaddles is the virgin mary episode, while technically impressive could have been completely cut.

Marcello's journey is filled with ambiguity and confusion. Bizarre turns, loud music, contradictions, dancing, hypocrisy, sex, cynicism, but once you arrive at the final scene Fellini knocks this illusive world down with a wrecking ball and the final moment where Marcello can't understand the child (his inner child) over the sound of the waves is the knock out punch.

Both films would probably be better the second time around, it becomes tiresome to keep track because of the poor dubbing (prevalent in a lot of major italian flicks). There's probably a hundred things I didn't even notice.

Unfriended

Rarely does a movie come along that is so out of touch, so stupid, so annoying, that you can't help but laugh for the entire hour and a half.

a modern masterpiece of bad movies

Finished here. It's been fun.
The entire film is about excess but the the only part where La Dolce Vita dwaddles is the virgin mary episode, while technically impressive could have been completely cut.
I gotta disagree here. The virgin mary segment shows quite a few important themes in the film. It again reinforces how hungry the paparazzi are for news, it shows how religion is being exploited in the modern world, but more importantly it shows how spiritually empty the people of Rome were at this time. The idea of a child seeing a religious figure is enough to get all those people and paparazzi out there.

Cool, mark. Watch Melancholia and Tarr's Satantango now.