Why do people hate musicals so much?

Tools    

This question is sincere and comes from a place of genuine curiosity and I hope to spearhead a serious discussion here...as a big fan of the genre, I have noticed that it is not a popular one on movie discussion boards. I've noticed that very few people who have read my review thread have made comments about the musicals I reviewed. I understand the popular answer this question is that people can't get into movies where characters suddenly burst into song on the street, but not all musicals are like that. I would love to know sincerely why so many people hate the genre and I would also like to know if any of you haters have at least one musical that you don't mind sitting through?

Lord High Filmquisitor
I would think that a lot of it comes down to how serious a person is, given that a lot of musicals are lighter in tone and content. This is why they're so often paired with comedies (a Blockbuster near me used to put ALL musicals in comedies, even feel-good laugh-fests like Fiddler on the Roof).

This is part of the reason why I believe that a lot of newer musicals are beginning to use the songs as a framework for the narrative, rather than inserting them directly into it. The best example I can think of is Chicago, where every music number is basically a cut-scene to a burlesque show, rather than having the characters themselves perform in the scene itself.

Because they are narrow-minded pieces of crap.

you talk about musicals ? I'm agree

A system of cells interlinked
I asked my girlfriend this yesterday and she said:

"**** musicals, man. I ****ing hate musicals with a ****ing passion!"

That was the only reason she gave me. *Shrugs*

Seriously though, I have never been a big fan of musicals myself, either. I can sit through one if I have to, but Lisa will shatter the TV with a rock if she has to watch one, so I tend to avoid them altogether. Also: NEVER mention Xanadu around my girlfriend. Ever.

...I've noticed that very few people who have read my review thread have made comments about the musicals I reviewed.
I hadn't seen your reviews of musicals but as I do love musicals, I will make it a point to read them.

I understand the popular answer this question is that people can't get into movies where characters suddenly burst into song on the street, but not all musicals are like that.
You're right most musicals aren't like that. Musicals usually have a good plot reason for the character to break out in song. If there isn't an appropriate reason, then that can be annoying.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Gideon, can you name your favorite musicals? I might give them a chance, but I have never seen a great one, and I don't consider "Nashville" a musical.

I went to the theaters for a modern-musical since me and my old lover love The Beatles... Even then, it was so horrible we quit watching the movie, and started watching each other..

Musical is probably the one genre I have the least interest (and knowledge) in. But after seeing The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, I am open to any and all musicals

I often struggle with suspension of disbelief and spontaneous song and dance numbers completely take me out of a film. That being said, when it's something like Hedwig and the Angry Inch, where the main character is a rock singer and they don't have conversations in song, I'm fine with it.

Animated musicals are really hit or miss for me. I adore Charlotte's Web and The Nightmare Before Christmas, but all those animated Disney musicals? Forget it.

In the 1972 musical Cabaret, all of the musical numbers, except one, take place within the confines of the Kit Kat Club, a legitimate setting for musical numbers.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, sometimes it feels awkward when a character starts singing out of blue. In a movie like Phantom of Paradise it didn't feel that weird, but I especially liked The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, in which every single line is sung. Therefore, it avoids illogical singing insertions and creates its own logic.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In the 1972 musical Cabaret, all of the musical numbers, except one, take place within the confines of the Kit Kat Club, a legitimate setting for musical numbers.
Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the singing in Cabaret, but I found the characters irritating so I still didn't like it. (Sorry TN)

Why do people hate musicals so much?

On this site they're are many young people and international posters. Musicals are primarily an American art form so those from other parts of the world won't have been exposed to them as much.

Back in the 60s-70s, Hollywood musicals would play on TV, so youngsters were exposed to them, like my generation. Today's younger generation hasn't had the same exposure. Which is in part why they don't like them.