Movie Tab II

Tools    

As a Marx Brothers fan what don't you like about A Night at the opera, Mark?

Breakfast at Tiffany's (Blake Edwards, 1961): Good movie, but definitely a bit of a letdown considering how much I was looking forward to seeing it. Chemistry between two leads is an essential component in films of this type, and Hepburn and Peppard share very little. For example, the early scene when he's shirtless in bed and she lays beside him should be rife with sexual tension, but instead it's a limp d!ck of a scene. Peppard is incredibly bland and keeps the film from reaching its potential, so I never bought into the love story. However, the stunningly gorgeous Hepburn is fantastic. She's the reason this film is so iconic. I also loved the "Moon River" song that's used throughout the film and I thought the ending with the cat and the rain was a powerful scene. The dialogue is great. I can definitely see why Rooney's Asian character offends so many viewers, but misguided or not, I thought he was funny and there's no denying that he fully commits to the role. His character still stands out like a sore thumb, however. A good movie, albeit very flawed; maybe it will grow on me with subsequent viewings.

Bad Words (Jason Bateman, 2014): I like humor that isn't afraid to offend, and that's the forte of Bad Words. Bateman's direction is pedestrian at best, and I'm not sure if he was the best choice for the lead role. I enjoy his dry delivery, but he's much better at playing the affable everyman than a borderline sociopath. The best scenes feature him and the little kid he nicknames Slumdog as they indulge in various vices. The ending is overwrought and the forced sentimentality involving Bateman's backstory is completely unnecessary, but there are enough laughs to make this a decent comedy.

A Touch of Sin (Jia Zhangke, 2013): Films that string together several loosely connected stories tend to either hit you over the head with THEME (Crash into me) or the narrative pulls away just as your interest peaks. The former isn't a problem with A Touch of Sin, but certainly the latter, which kept me from loving this film as much as it probably deserves. The four segments are apparently based on true events in China. I imagine there's also quite a bit of political subtext that wouldn't go over so well in China, making this a rather bold film in that regard. A Touch of Sin is expertly directed, features some great performances, beautiful cinematography, and some of the most effective uses of violence I've seen in a while. The first segment is by far the best and the most compelling. If the other three segments had been as strong, my rating would be much higher.

Devil's Knot (Atom Egoyan, 2014): I was a bit familiar with the real-life case of the West Memphis Three, mainly because of Johnny Depp's involvement. Some of the courtroom scenes in this film are compelling, but overall it feels too much like a made-for-TV movie. Lackluster direction, southern caricatures, unfocused narrative and I'm-just-here-to-collect-a-paycheck performances. The film also relies too much on text to relay information to the viewer.

Upstream Color (Shane Carruth, 2013): I like weird films that unfold like a puzzle and demand your attention. Upstream Color is that type of film, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. I had the same problem with Carruth's previous film Primer. The latter has developed a cult following and is infamous for its complicated time-traveling plot, but I was too disinterested in its delivery to bother paying close attention. Upstream Color is nowhere near as confusing and the premise is very original, plus it features some stunning imagery, but the flat characterization and fragmented narrative failed to engage me as a viewer.

Rage (Paco Cabezas, 2014): One of the worst Nicholas Cage movies I've seen, and that's saying something, given how many bad films he's been in over the years. Dour, depressing, dull, and devoid of thrills or excitement. Even in bad films, I enjoy watching The Cage do his thing, but this poorly directed, by-the-numbers thriller doesn't even give him the opportunity to overact; instead he just scowls for the majority of the film. Rage might also contain the most incompetent police force I've ever seen. An early contender for worst film of 2014.

Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach, 2013): Full Review Here

I enjoy watching The Cage do his thing, but this poorly directed, by-the-numbers thriller doesn't even give him the opportunity to overact; instead he just scowls for the majority of the film/
Don't knock it, it won Crowe an Oscar.

Sorry, MV.

Also, watch the documentaries for the West Memphis Three. It's really well known now, and there's been a result, but Paradise Lost is still the most WTF moment I've ever had watching a documentary. I was, literally, agog.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As a Marx Brothers fan what don't you like about A Night at the opera, Mark?
Way too much opera-type singing plus it's about 20-25 minutes longer than their Paramount classics (this is their first with MGM). The stateroom scene and the finale are fun, but I decided to drop it from 2.5.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - Otto Preminger

The Serpent's Egg (1977) - Ingmar Bergman
-
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) - Guillermo Del Toro
+
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) - Renny Harlin
+
Sullivan's Travels (1941) - Preston Sturges
+
Zatoichi's Pilgrimage (1966) - Kazuo Ikehiro

A Silent Child (2010) - Jesper Klevenas (Short)

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) - Stanley Kramer

Meek's Cutoff (2010) - Kelly Reichardt

Bigger Than Life (1956) - Nicholas Ray

After Life (1998) - Hirokazu Koreeda
+

The Double Life of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991) –
-
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (Werner Herzog, 1974) –

Shivers* (David Cronenberg, 1975) –

The Dance of Reality (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 2013) –
+
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master* (Renny Harlin, 1988) –
+
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors* (Chuck Russell, 1987) –
+
Demons 6: De Profundis (Luigi Cozzi, 1989) –

Baraka* (Ron Fricke, 1992) –
+
Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960) –

Midnight in Paris* (Woody Allen, 2011) –

*Rewatch

The Double Life of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991) –
-
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (Werner Herzog, 1974) –

Shivers* (David Cronenberg, 1975) –

The Dance of Reality (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 2013) –
+
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master* (Renny Harlin, 1988) –
+
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors* (Chuck Russell, 1987) –
+
Demons 6: De Profundis (Luigi Cozzi, 1989) –

Baraka* (Ron Fricke, 1992) –
+
Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960) –

Midnight in Paris* (Woody Allen, 2011) –

*Rewatch
I've been steadily going through the Elm Street series, too.

La Luna (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1979) -

My viewing habits over the past month and a half:

Neighbouring Sounds (Filho, 2012)

The Five Obstructions (Leth & von Trier, 2003)

In Time (Niccol, 2011)

3 Women (Altman, 1977)
Sexy Beast (Glazer, 2000)
The Guest (Wingard, 2014) 1st watch:
, 2nd watch:

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014)

A Most Wanted Man (Corbijn, 2014)

Betty Blue (Beineix, 1986)

Rounders (Dahl, 1998)
Knowing (Proyas, 2009)
La Dolce Vita (Fellini, 1960)
Locke (Knight, 2013)

No (Larrain, 2012)

Calvary (McDonagh, 2014)

Coherence (Byrkit, 2013)

The Raid 2 (Evans, 2014)

The Ides of March (Clooney, 2011)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Wright, 2010)
Lucy (Besson, 2014)

The Wild Bunch (Peckinpah, 1969)
The Haunting in Connecticut (Cornwell, 2009)

Stop Making Sense (Demme, 1984)

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014)
Amer (Cattet & Forzani, 2009)
Antichrist (von Trier, 2009)
Silent House (Kentis & Lau, 2012)

Lessons of Darkness (Herzog, 1992)

Berberian Sound Studio (Strickland, 2012)
Red State (Smith, 2011)
Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet, 1975)
Green Zone (Greengrass, 2010)
Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)
Punch-Drunk Love (Anderson,2002)
OId School (Phillips, 2003)

* = rewatch

Lord Jeff (Sam Wood, 1938)
+
The Devil’s Rejects (Rob Zombie, 2005)

The Hardys Ride High (George B. Seitz, 1939)

Rebirth (James Whitaker, 2011)

Documentary about five survivors of 9/11. Here is an eerie scene of initial rebuilding at Ground Zero with what appear to be crosses.
Focus (Neil Slavin, 2003)

Perfect Stranger (Gaylene Preston, 2003)

Brave Warrior (Spencer G. Bennet, 1952)
+
Children of Winter (Max Purvy, 2008)

Powder skiing shown all over the world, including the Austrian backcountry.
Where the Red Fern Grows (Lyman Dayton, 2003)
+
We Were Dancing (Robert Z. Leonard, 1942)

Advance to the Rear (George Marshall, 1964)

Top Gun (Tony Scott, 1986)

The best part of the saga of Tom Cruise's hotshot navy pilot are the well-staged and photographed aerial scenes.
L’Immortale (Alain Robbe-Grillet, 1963)

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Ken Wiederhorn, 1988)

You Can’t Win (David Barclay, 1948)

I Never Sang for My Father (Gilbert Cates, 1970)
-

Melvyn Douglas is the strong-willed father who measures everything by money and never listens to his family, including 40-year-old successful writer Gene Hackman.
Broadway Limited (Gordon Douglas, 1941)

Cover Up (Alfred E. Green, 1949)
-
Lady of Vengeance (Burt Balaban, 1957)

The Beaches of Agnès (Agnès Varda, 2008)

French New Wave icon Agnès Varda makes a playful autobiograhical documentary about her growing up in Belgium, her films, her husband Jacques Demy, her children and the many others she's shared her life with.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The Beaches of Agnès (Agnès Varda, 2008)

French New Wave icon Agnès Varda makes a playful autobiograhical documentary about her growing up in Belgium, her films, her husband Jacques Demy, her children and the many others she's shared her life with.

I initially read that as "her children and the many otters she's shared her life with."

Once I re-read it and realised my mistake I became significantly less interested.

Otters are pretty interesting creatures, though.
True. My most shocking childhood movie memory involves an Otter. Think it was an English movie about a kid with a pet Otter. At the end it gets killed by a council worker in a ditch with his shovel. Don't think I've ever cried so much. I should try and find that movie ...

Rio Bravo (1959) -

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (1989) -

Broadway Danny Rose (1984) -

Before Midnight* (2013) -

Ghost World (2001) -

Waltz with Bashir (2008) -

Chef (2014) -

Millennium Actress (2001) -

Zelig (1983) -

A Man Escaped (1956) -

Good Will Hunting (1997) -

Akira (1988) -

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) -

The Aviator (2004) -

The Fault in Our Stars (2014) -

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) -

Coherence (2013) -

Frank (2014) -

The Rover (2014) -

Hausu (1977) -

Ghost in the Shell (1995) -

Pretty much all I've seen this month so far. A strange mix of films because sometimes I choose them myself, and sometimes they're chosen by other people. Feel free to ask if you'd like me to elaborate, I'm not scared.

True. My most shocking childhood movie memory involves an Otter. Think it was an English movie about a kid with a pet Otter. At the end it gets killed by a council worker in a ditch with his shovel. Don't think I've ever cried so much. I should try and find that movie ...
Ring of Bright Water; it's a good'un.

For BlueLion, I realize that Rio Bravo is just hokey enough and overlong enough to provide some modest, old-fashioned entertainment, but what could possibly make it the highest-rated of all those movies?

Ring of Bright Water; it's a good'un.

For BlueLion, I realize that Rio Bravo is just hokey enough and overlong enough to provide some modest, old-fashioned entertainment, but what could possibly make it the highest-rated of all those movies?
Thanks. Looked at the release date and it seemed about 5 years too early because I saw it at the movies. However, looking at the plot summary it looks right - I guess New Zealand was just five years behind the rest of the world ... again