Rate that Movie: Blade Runner

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sorry Slob, but I'm not in love with it.

Maybe it warrants a second watch, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any means.

Suspect's Reviews

Maybe it warrants a second watch, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any means.
That's borderline blasphemy.

Edit: Oh looks like I haven't rated it yet in here... thought I already did.

I found myself bored by a lot of it, mainly Ford's performance. It looks great though...as do most of Scott's films.
See, that's it right there. You were bored by it. If you appreciated more qualitative aspects of film, you'd understand why it's a great movie. The thing you have to realise is quality isn't based off how much enjoyment you personally get out of the film. Quality is objective, and if you understand it then you can appreciate it even if a film doesn't particularly appeal to your taste.

Why is Blade Runner such a great movie? Because it's a very realistic portrayal of sci-fi, and that is quite rare. The acting is good, the story is good, there is a lot of attention paid to the small details, and there are so many crazy interesting things going on, like the girl remaining motionless among the dolls and then bursting out with crazy acrobatics. Your job isn't to be entertained. Your job is to study the art.

Of course you don't have to like it. There's nothing wrong with that. But you just can't go around saying it's not a masterpiece just because it was boring for you.

Nope, you have to be 100% objective. In fact, I don't think you're even allowed to enjoy films at all. They aren't there for your amusement ya know, they're art!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Blade Runner looks stunningly great and it is a well directed film, no doubt. My question to you is...what is realistic science fiction?

The film has flat characterization.
Poor action sequences.
And a boring lead in Ford.

I like the film...don't get me wrong...I gave it a positive rating.

But masterpiece? I think not.