The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm very happy that Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and The Holy Mountain made the countdown. I thought the latter had a decent chance, but I'd given up on the former, since I seemed to enjoy it more than everyone else. Alfredo Garcia was one of the first movies I watched in preparation for the countdown, and it made a huge impact on me. The Holy Mountain is the weirdest movie I've ever seen, and as a fan of weird/surreal films, that's a major compliment.

From my list:
8.) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
10.) The Holy Mountain

This is shaping up to be a very interesting, eclectic list. I'm sure the countdown will become much more predictable later on, but so far I've been surprised by several of the entries. (And I haven't seen as many as I'd like, although all have been on my radar, and a few, like Logan's Run and Jeanne Dielman, are waiting to be watched on my DVR.)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072355/
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This list is dead to me now. Looks like Wintertriangles scored a victory.

This thing nobody's heard of and yet no Coffy will appear. Outrageous. Shameful.
I've heard of Jeanne Dielman... but I haven't heard of Coffy...

Was it on your list, Honeykid?
Holden has already answered this, but as I forgot to include it in my post, yes. I had it at #9.
What the hell is Coffy ?
The next film you should see. Seriously. Go see it. Now.

II doubt Dyanne Thorne will show up.
Not. A. Chance.
I've heard of Jeanne Dielman... but I haven't heard of Coffy...
Another one who needs to look over my list again.

This is certainly a very strange pairing of films. I think The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 is a wonderful, gritty thriller from the 70s (while the remake is a hack job), but it didn't even come close to making my list. But I'm glad to see it show up here. I've never seen Jeanne Dielman, and to be honest I'm not sure I have it in me to sit through it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Jeanne Dielman was #6 on my list, it's a shame to see next to no interest in seeing it from the forum, considering that the lists it was on all had it placed very high for no strategic reasoning as well (speaking for myself).

Mark is certainly right about Akerman pushing aesthetic to the forefront of the film's content, though I'm not sure about the Dreyer and Bresson comparison. Being radical filmmakers of their time, I think that the exact same things could be, said about Bresson and Dreyer. Likewise, as TokeZa indicated, we now have stylists that have surpassed the stylistic extremes of Akerman, like Tsai Ming-Liang.

Minimalism can often get caught up in its own execution, favoring the execution far more than the discourse, which many filmmakers (with varying degrees of legitimacy) like Tsai Ming-Liang, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Hong Sang-soo, and others are accused of. For me, the minimalism present in Jeanne Dielman is entirely necessary for the film's thematic and social goals. The astonishing thing about the film is how it makes the audience acutely aware of Jeanne's internal state. By spending so much routine, mechanical, and quiet time with Jeanne, we not only soon recognize, but deeply empathize with and understand the slow decay of Jeanne's mental state. Without the film's form, the audience would be observers, but the film's style brings viewers directly inside the mind of Jeanne Dielman. The act of watching the film almost becomes like being Jeanne, which then makes the audience complicit in the last act's shocking (and shockingly intuitive), brief moments of liberation (and at the same time, the opposite of liberation). The length of the film could surely also be taken as the film's reminder of the centuries (and probably more) long offense that we've knowingly and unknowingly done. Jeanne Dielman is one of two great feminist masterpieces to crack my top 10, I doubt the other will show up though

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't care what shows tomorrow, just be something I've actually seen. Yes even Harold and Maude or Cries and Whispers(yes, I know they will be higher)

I would however say that you should have some interest in structural film, to have a blast as i did. Its a rather radical film, albeit not as radical as for instance Michael Snow. Something actually happens
Like 3 things happen in Wavelength, what are you talking about?

Interesting pairing indeed. Haven't seen Jeanne Dielman eitherbut am more than happy to watch anything from the French. I literally have never seen a bad French film. I don't care what anybody says. They are just that good. Thought Pelham was pretty good. Not as big a fan of the gritty/kinda dirty police dramas of the 70's. I know there's going to be a few more of them, hell, I even voted for one of them and expect to see it probably pretty soon here I reckon. But who knows? It may not even make it. Pretty damn eclectic list so far so it may not have made the cut. I'm a little concerned now that my #1 may not have even made the list. Kinda thought that if it made it... it would probably only get a few votes. And a few votes isn't going to get you into this bad boy. How exciting! More please!

Interesting pairing indeed. Haven't seen Jeanne Dielman eitherbut am more than happy to watch anything from the French. I literally have never seen a bad French film. I don't care what anybody says. They are just that good.
Chantal Akerman is Belgian...

Close enough.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."