Spoilers: Opinions on Hugh Jackman's character in "Prisoners"

Tools    

S P O I L E R S
If you havent seen this movie, and want to, please dont read this post.

I say he was absolutely justified.

This man was taunted by the abductor who told him "They didnt cry until I left", was singing the exact limerick the girls were the same day they were taken, and the guy tried to get away from the police!

Any Dad with a pulse and a spine would/should do the same. Was "Alex Jones" a victim? He was, but when he delivered children to his predator aunt HAPPILY, well all bets on sympathy for him are off.

Thankfully the girls were found, but I hated the ending. I did find out they deleted the scene where Jackmans found, so at least thats resolved. I also think with Dover (Jackmans character) telling the cops what the aunt told him (Alex bringing the kids) that theyd arrest Alex Jones. I wanted even more of a resolution to this movie as it had me on the edge of my seat.

Yes, he was justified, and he was too lenient with him - he should have castrated him.
I don't agree with this. I don't think what he did was justified at all.

Understandable, though? I can certainly understand why he snapped and kidnapped Alex. He knew Alex was involved somehow. What nobody saw was that it was his "aunt" that was really to blame. What Prisoners shows is that you can't always expect men to be the bad guys and women are always sweet and innocent and harmless. Nobody suspected the aunt and that was the problem. They simply bought her story, even Hugh Jackman's character. By being a woman, she fooled them all. If she had been an uncle, though -- a man -- I bet he would have been more of a suspect.

This was the subject I touched on in the review I made... the film makes the audience question themselves.

Keller was completely understandable and relatable, but was he justified?

It's tough being that Alex is basically a child, yet knows what he's done and won't talk... which builds more frustration in Keller.
I felt myself getting right pissed at Alex for it as well and actually cheered on Keeler when he sticks Alex in the shower-box and tortures him.
But with that not getting answers out of Alex made it even more of an emotional journey to go along with.

The frustration that builds over the running time is what throws the viewer into a state of confusion about what is morally wrong and right.

Tbh though, I'd do exactly what Keller did if either of my Daughters were kidnapped. Probably worse that what he did.

Excellent film though and Jackman absolutely rocked. His reactions in the scene with the photos of childrens' clothes tore me up.

Yeah, part of what made it a great film is that it made you think and question your own feelings.

For me it simply comes down to what kind of society you want to live in. One where individuals can torture someone if they thinks it's justified? Nope, that's not for me. Not saying his reaction wasn't understandable though ...

For me it simply comes down to what kind of society you want to live in. One where individuals can torture someone if they thinks it's justified? Nope, that's not for me. Not saying his reaction wasn't understandable though ...
Sounds good but the whole "what society we want to live in" argument falls apart when there are sociopaths that are accomplished child predators. They think of it as a game and play it well.

The laws of society would never back the actions of Jackmans character. The laws of society would have failed these girls. If Jackman hadnt kidnapped Jones, then Detective Loki would never have found Jones which then resulted in him finding Jackmans daughter because he was coming to give "good news" to the supposed aunt.

There is a time for violence. If someone doesnt believe that then I'd tend to believe they 1. arent a parent, or/and 2. cant truly comprehend the atrocity of child predators.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I fit both your criteria, and I wouldn't do what he did in real life, but this is movieland, so I can go along with it. Just wish the movie was better.

I fit both your criteria, and I wouldn't do what he did in real life, but this is movieland, so I can go along with it. Just wish the movie was better.
That was a pretty broad statment I made. Of course I must acknowledge that the capacity for violence just doesnt exist like that in some people. Im pretty sure if thrust into that situation then someone would want to do somthing about it, but not everyone is alike.

To be frank, I think most people would say he was wrong in the film but in reality if their child was kidnapped and had an inkling of what happened like Jackman did in the film, I am willing to bet most parents would go against the 'rules'/'morals' some way or another if the police failed in their eyes.

As for me, I wouldn't torture someone because I don't believe torture gets anything out that's of any use when you are using 'torture' to gain information.

This movie was great! I think he was totally justified in what he did. The guy came up to him and said something that directly had something to do with the kidnappings. It sucks for the law enforcement, i think legally they could not do anything about it because you would have to take the word of a dad who is going insane looking for his kid. But i do think that Hugh Jackmen should be pardoned since they found out that it was just, that is not the case though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Really liked the film and thought the Howard's character was a whimp, just to be the film's moral compass. Jackman, right or not, did what any father would do.

I just couldn't get over the constant blinking from Gyllenhall's character.

Suspect's Reviews

Saw it the other night and my reaction was "meh". It definitely kept me guessing and held my curiosity but i'll probably never go out of my way to watch it again. All the acting was fine but just a forgettable flick for me. Almost had too many twists and turns for me felt like it tried to outsmart itself. I don't know just my take away.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

When Jackman was beating Jones head to the size of a basketball, he wouldnt talk. No matter the punishment, or fear inflicted, the dumb lump wouldnt talk. So Ive learned since watching that retarded people and others like such will freeze up when scared. Even if its a simple answer, if theyre overwhelmed, they just freeze up. So theres a very realistic possibility Jackman could never get anything out of him, and so he kept beating him more and more and more. Poor bastard, but even that doesnt hold up completely since he was able to communicate with the other mom in the bathroom. So I still think he had it coming.