Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 2023 MoFo Film Awards (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=70015)

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 09:42 AM

The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=96858

The nominations are in, and it's time to vote for the winners!
The deadline to submit your ballots is April 26th.

Isn't there already a thread for this?
That was just a preliminary thread to gather the nominations. You'll find the finalists here, and once everyone's votes are in, the reveal will happen in this thread as well.

I didn't nominate any films, can I still vote?
Yes, of course! The more the merrier!

How do I submit a ballot?
You need to select one option from each category and PM those choices to me. Please do not post them in the thread - though you are welcome to discuss your opinions on the nominations. There will be a text-only version of all the finalists in Post 7 for reference. Feel free to copy it over, and just delete the things you don't want to vote for.

Do I need to have seen every film in a category to vote in it?
No, but we recommend making an effort to see as many of the nominations as possible before voting -- with the exception of the Worst Film category, of course. This isn't a Hall of Fame, so you don't need to sit through any film you don't like.

Do I need to vote in every category?
Please do, even if you don't like any of the available choices. If you literally haven't seen a single film in that category, then feel free to skip it.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I've already sent it in?
Yes, as long as it is received before the deadline.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

Table of Contents:
Click to View  

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 09:43 AM

Re: The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

6 Attachment(s)
  • The Creator
  • Godzilla Minus One
  • Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3
  • Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
  • Oppenheimer
  • Enys Men
  • The Creator
  • Oppenheimer
  • Zone of Interest
Best Score
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98109
  • Barbie
  • The Boy and the Heron
  • The Creator
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things
  • Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse

Best Breakout Performance

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98113
  • Abby Ryder Fortson, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
  • Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers
  • Dominic Sessa, The Holdovers
  • Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Milo Machado-Graner, Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things
  • Zone of Interest
Best Ensemble Cast
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98112
  • Asteroid City
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • The Iron Claw
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things

5 Attachment(s)
"Mixed Bag" Award
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98114
  • Barbie
  • Maestro
  • Napoleon
  • Scream VI
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Funniest Scene
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98115
  • Barbie – commercial for Depression Barbie
  • Barbie – Kens play guitar
  • Bottoms – the football field scene
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - questioning the undead
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves – bard spell distraction

Most Memorable Scene
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98116
  • Barbie – "I'm just Ken" performance
  • Mission Impossible - train sequence
  • Oppenheimer – Trinity test
  • Saltburn – dance to "Murder on the Dancefloor"
  • Saltburn – tub scene
  • Asteroid City
  • Blackberry
  • The Creator
  • Dream Scenario
  • Knock at the Cabin
  • Polite Society
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things

5 Attachment(s)
Biggest Disappointment
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98119
  • The Exorcist: Believer
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  • The Killer
  • Maestro
  • Napoleon
  • Next Goal Wins
  • Oppenheimer
  • Poor Things

• Barbie
  • Blackberry
  • Dream Scenario
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
  • Talk to Me
  • They Cloned Tyronne

Best Foreign Film
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98121
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Godzilla Minus One
  • Perfect Days
  • Society of the Snow
  • Zone of Interest
Best Documentary
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98122
  • 20 Days in Mariupol
  • The League
  • Mr. Dressup: The Magic of Make Believe
  • Sly
  • Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie
  • Thriller 40
  • Wham!

• The Boy and the Heron
  • Elemental
  • Nimona
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

6 Attachment(s)
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • The Holdovers
  • Past Lives
  • Saltburn
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers
  • Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
  • Julianne Moore, May December
  • Penélope Cruz, Ferrari
  • Sandra Hüller - The Zone of Interest

Best Supporting Actor
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98126
  • Glenn Howerton, Blackberry
  • Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things
  • Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
  • Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Ryan Gosling, Barbie

• Carey Mulligan, Maestro
  • Emma Stone, Poor Things
  • Lily Gladstone, Killer of the Flower Moon
  • Margot Robbie, Barbie
  • Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall

• Barry Keoghan, Saltburn
  • Bradley Cooper, Maestro
  • Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
  • Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers

• Alexander Payne, The Holdovers
  • Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
  • Emerald Fennell, Saltburn
  • Jonathan Glazer, Zone of Interest
  • Martin Scorsese for Killers of the Flower Moon

2 Attachment(s)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  • Elemental
  • Expend4bles
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  • Quasi

• All of Us Strangers
  • Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
  • Dream Scenario
  • The Holdovers
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • Saltburn
  • Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 09:44 AM

All Nominations:
Text Only  

Received Ballots:
Allaby
ApexPredator
beelzebubble
CosmicRunaway
Harry Lime
Holden Pike
John-Connor
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
stillmellow
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo

Winners Reveal
To see the start of the reveal, click here.
To see the list of winners, click here.
To see the post-awards survey, click here.

Previous Awards Threads:
2023 Film Awards - Nominations
2022 Film Awards - Nominations
2022 Film Awards
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 10:34 AM

Alright, all the posts have been updated! Any surprises or disappointments?

For interesting voting facts, the only ones I know off-hand is that late support for Spider-man gave it just enough points to kick Zone of Interest out of the "Best Film" category, and Asteroid City was 1-point away from making both the "Most Overrated" and "Most Underrated" categories. It narrowed missed out on being overrated.

Oh, and "Most Memorable Scene" had a 6 or 7-way tie for 6th place, and the 5th place scene was only 1-point ahead of them. I probably would've had that category be only 4 options if the maths had worked out any different haha.

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 10:53 AM

I just realized I accidentally cut Cillian Murphy out of the "Best Actor" category. I'm fixing the image now. None of the others were included by mistake though, since DiCaprio and Cooper had the same number of votes to tie for 5th.

Edit: done!

seanc 03-22-24 11:11 AM

Good job Cosmic. I am going to try and watch s few before I vote.

Nothing earth shattering shocking, but didn’t expect to see Saltburn so much and didn’t expect to see Dream Scenario at all.

stillmellow 03-22-24 11:16 AM

I'm really surprised Barbie didn't make the best film list. I'm also surprised Elemental is on the list for worst Film. It's a bit weak for Disney, but there are a lot of way worse films out there.

I'm also surprised Cocaine Bear, Five Nights at Freddy's, and M3gan didn't appear anywhere. I'm not sure exactly where each would appear, but I thought I'd see them in more categories.

Iroquois 03-22-24 11:22 AM

knew i should've made more of an effort to submit nominations, maybe then i could've knocked saltbore out of some of these categories.

ScarletLion 03-22-24 11:29 AM

Great job hosting this.

Personally it's extremely disappointing to see barely any surprises. I expect it will just go the way of the academy awards. Hardly any international films in any of the nominations.

Are you there God it's me Margaret up for one of the best films but Zone of Interest isn't there? Seriously? Really disappointing.

Nota single mention for Love According to Dalva, the Eight Mountains or Godland? Feel like I wasted time putting effort into this (which is not to diminish the hard work organising it)

s
i
g
h

seanc 03-22-24 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2448264)
Eight Mountains or Godland? Feel like I wasted time putting effort into this (which is not to diminish the hard work organising it)
Both of these got some votes for me as well.

John-Connor 03-22-24 11:57 AM

Nice presentation Cosmic, you're truly a winner by default. Besides the lack of love for legendary composer John Williams, no big surprises. A couple films I haven't seen yet so, let's hope they release Gojira digitally before this deadline.

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 12:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words, guys! <3

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2448259)
Nothing earth shattering shocking, but didn’t expect to see Saltburn so much and didn’t expect to see Dream Scenario at all.
Dream Scenario actually got the same number of points as All of Us Strangers, Are You There God?, Past Lives, and Spider-man. I already mentioned that Zone of Interest was bumped off due to a late ballot that really boosted Spider-man, but The Iron Claw would've made it if one of the later participants hadn't given Dream Scenario the extra points it needed to push ahead that little bit. It's proof that every vote counts!

I really liked Dream Scenario and had it on my ballot in a number of places, so I'm perfectly happy with that outcome haha.

Originally Posted by stillmellow (Post 2448260)
I'm also surprised Cocaine Bear, Five Nights at Freddy's, and M3gan didn't appear anywhere. I'm not sure exactly where each would appear, but I thought I'd see them in more categories.
M3GAN was nominated in a number of categories by a couple people, but didn't quite have enough points to break into them. Five Nights at Freddy's didn't get much attention, but it was nominated in both Overrated and Underrated, which I thought was amusing.

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 12:13 PM

Another little fact: While Sandra Hüller made both the "Best Actress" and "Best Supporting Actress" categories for two different roles, Lily Gladstone nearly made both categories for the same role.

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2448263)
knew i should've made more of an effort to submit nominations, maybe then i could've knocked saltbore out of some of these categories.
It's possible. Many of these categories were close calls, or the votes were spread so thin that a single point or two could've shaken things up quite a bit.

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2448264)
Are you there God it's me Margaret up for one of the best films but Zone of Interest isn't there? Seriously? Really disappointing.
Zone of Interest nearly made "Best Film", but was knocked off in the 11th hour. That was probably the biggest surprise for me. Like I said, it's just proof that every single vote counts. Sorry the nominations are ultimately disappointing, but maybe the close calls this year will get more people voting next time around.

ScarletLion 03-22-24 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2448283)
It's possible. Many of these categories were close calls, or the votes were spread so thin that a single point or two could've shaken things up quite a bit.

Zone of Interest nearly made "Best Film", but was knocked off in the 11th hour. That was probably the biggest surprise for me. Like I said, it's just proof that every single vote counts. Sorry the nominations are ultimately disappointing, but maybe the close calls this year will get more people voting next time around.
I'm the only one disappointed, I'm sure it'll be a great MoFo awards and thanks for all your hard work.

Thursday Next 03-22-24 03:42 PM

Thanks for organizing this, Cosmic.

I'm going to try to catch up with some of the ones I haven't seen yet like The Creator and Are you there God it's me Margaret?

CosmicRunaway 03-22-24 04:27 PM

So who do we need to beg to get The Boy and the Heron and Godzilla Minus One onto streaming before the end of April? They're probably the two biggest films I haven't seen - Maestro too, though its prominence in more negative categories doesn't really make me want to watch it haha.

Oh, I almost forgot about Spider-man. Haven't seen that either, and it's all over the nominations list. It and Are You There God? are the only "Best Film" nominees I haven't already watched, though I'm not particularly inclined to check out the latter (since I'm not a fan of coming-of-age films).

Even though Society of the Snow only made it into one category, it was nominated for a couple others, and nearly made it into Best Cinematography, so I might add that one to my watch list as well.

ApexPredator 03-22-24 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by stillmellow (Post 2448260)
I'm really surprised Barbie didn't make the best film list. I'm also surprised Elemental is on the list for worst Film. It's a bit weak for Disney, but there are a lot of way worse films out there.

I tried with M3gan with Special Effects and Memorable Scene (where she did that dance).

rauldc14 03-22-24 08:48 PM

I forgot to vote. I don't think it would have changed anything, but my ballot would have given Past Lives more votes.

I also would have nominated Jennifer Lawrence for No Hard Feelings but I'm pretty sure nobody else did.

TheUsualSuspect 03-22-24 09:11 PM

All of Us Strangers came out in early 2024 in Canada, otherwise, I would have nominated it in a lot of categories. That's on me.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-24 05:35 AM

If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask about them and I can tell you things like how close it got, how many people voted for it (just not who - that would be up to them to reveal), or if it showed up in categories you might not expect.

One of the films I voted for that didn't get much love was Monster. It caught a few stray votes in some categories, but that was it.

I only voted for two animated films, Suzume and Nimona, but I liked Suzume way more, and was sad that it only got like, 1 more point other than the 5 I gave it.

My two biggest disappointments were Afire (I think I expected too much given how much I loved some of Petzold's other films), and Infinity Pool (which was definitely a mixed bag though I didn't vote for it there). They were both nominated in a few positive categories by other people, and I'm glad those voters liked the films more than I did.

I'm the only one who voted for Dave Bautista for his performance in Knock at the Cabin, and I think the guy needs to get more credit for his acting because out of all the "wrestlers turned actors" I think he's easily the best, and has a lot of potential to grow as well.

Dungeons & Dragons got two "Funniest Scene"s in, but not the one I had at #1, which was the "But we approved your pardon!" bit. At #3 I had John Wick falling down all those stairs, because that was probably the most unintentionally ridiculous things I saw all year haha. I didn't expect anyone else to vote for the latter, but I genuinely thought the former would get a few mentions.

Thursday Next 03-23-24 07:03 AM

I don't think Monster has come out here yet. Different release dates do make this tricky.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-24 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2448569)
I don't think Monster has come out here yet. Different release dates do make this tricky.
Since it didn't make it into any of the categories, it'll be eligible again next year at least.

ScarletLion 03-23-24 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2448560)

One of the films I voted for that didn't get much love was Monster. It caught a few stray votes in some categories, but that was it.

That's only just been released here. it will be high up on my voting for the 2024 list. Lovely film.

How did you get yo see it in 2023? A festival?

mrblond 03-23-24 08:43 AM

If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask about them and I can tell you things like how close it got, how many people voted for it (just not who - that would be up to them to reveal), or if it showed up in categories you might not expect.
Asking via PM or posting here?

CosmicRunaway 03-23-24 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ScarletLion (Post 2448573)
How did you get yo see it in 2023? A festival?
I didn't see it until a month ago when it was released on streaming. Since it's a 2023/2024 film, I voted for it just in case other people had seen it early, or watched it as soon as it was available online as well.

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2448576)
Asking via PM or posting here?
It's up to you. If you post about it in the thread, others who voted for it might chime in too. But if you'd rather not ask publicly, you can send me a PM.

stillmellow 03-23-24 10:54 AM

I only voted for two animated films, Suzume and Nimona, but I liked Suzume way more, and was sad that it only got like, 1 more point other than the 5 I gave it.

My two biggest disappointments were Afire (I think I expected too much given how much I loved some of Petzold's other films), and Infinity Pool (which was definitely a mixed bag though I didn't vote for it there). They were both nominated in a few positive categories by other people, and I'm glad those voters liked the films more than I did.

I'm the only one who voted for Dave Bautista for his performance in Knock at the Cabin, and I think the guy needs to get more credit for his acting because out of all the "wrestlers turned actors" I think he's easily the best, and has a lot of potential to grow as well.

Dungeons & Dragons got two "Funniest Scene"s in, but not the one I had at #1, which was the "But we approved your pardon!" bit. At #3 I had John Wick falling down all those stairs, because that was probably the most unintentionally ridiculous things I saw all year haha. I didn't expect anyone else to vote for the latter, but I genuinely thought the former would get a few mentions.

I didn't think of voting Infinity Pool for mixed bag. It certainly fits. That was a WEIRD one.

stillmellow 03-23-24 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2448277)
Thanks for the kind words, guys! <3

Dream Scenario actually got the same number of points as All of Us Strangers, Are You There God?, Past Lives, and Spider-man. I already mentioned that Zone of Interest was bumped off due to a late ballot that really boosted Spider-man, but The Iron Claw would've made it if one of the later participants hadn't given Dream Scenario the extra points it needed to push ahead that little bit. It's proof that every vote counts!

I really liked Dream Scenario and had it on my ballot in a number of places, so I'm perfectly happy with that outcome haha.

M3GAN was nominated in a number of categories by a couple people, but didn't quite have enough points to break into them. Five Nights at Freddy's didn't get much attention, but it was nominated in both Overrated and Underrated, which I thought was amusing.

Indeed, thank you for running the contest!

I voted M3gan and Five Nights at Freddy's for several categories, but I'm a weirdo. 🤓

Harry Lime 03-23-24 11:47 AM

Thanks again for running this, Cosmic.

mrblond 03-23-24 11:48 AM

1. Were there some other mentions than mine in the nominations of these four movies: Inside, Coup de chance, The Teachers' Lounge, Io capitano [The Captain]?
2. Aside of its two categories inclusion, how was Asteroid City in the other segments?
3. Were there some other mentions than mine for Adam Driver?
4. What are next two or three films in the queue for Worst Film.

ScarletLion 03-23-24 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2448629)
Io capitano [The Captain]?
That's another that will be in next year's list. Was only released in January. Absolutely terrific film though with one of the best lead performances in years.

CosmicRunaway 03-23-24 04:23 PM

1. Were there some other mentions than mine in the nominations of these four movies: Inside, Coup de chance, The Teachers' Lounge, Io capitano [The Captain]?
Unfortunately not for the first two, but The Teacher's Lounge and Io capitano both had support in the foreign language category.

2. Aside of its two categories inclusion, how was Asteroid City in the other segments?
Asteroid City was all over the place. It was also nominated by multiple people for Best Film, Worst Film, Best Screenplay, Biggest Disappointment, Most Overrated, Mixed Bag, Best Cinematography, Best Visuals.

A few people nominated Wes Anderson for Best Director as well. I think you were the only one who voted for any of the actors though (other than as an ensemble).

3. Were there some other mentions than mine for Adam Driver?
Not specifically. His other film 65 had a few votes for Worst Film and Biggest Disappointment though.

4. What are next two or three films in the queue for Worst Film.
Meg 2: The Trench was next, and after that both 65 and No Hard Feelings were tied.

Thursday Next 03-23-24 08:53 PM

I can't believe 65 missed out for worst film. The final five must be really bad.

PHOENIX74 03-24-24 01:55 AM

Here I go! - I managed to see every single film involved with the previous awards and I've seen a fair few of these. I might struggle when it comes to documentaries and their availability. The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi? Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.

CosmicRunaway 03-24-24 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2448789)
The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi?
I also had never heard of Quasi, until a couple people voted for it.

All the Expendables movies are pretty bad, but the others were at least a little fun at times. I really do not recommend watching the new one just to be more confident in how you're voting for Worst Film, especially if you have no history with the previous entries. Though if you do decide to check it out despite that warning, remember that this isn't a Hall of Fame and you can turn it off at any point.

Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.
Yeah, that's one of the things I like about the Film Awards. There have been a number of good movies I wouldn't have bothered to watch if it wasn't for this, and it really helps me get to films in a timely manner instead of putting off watching them until I forget they exist haha.

Siddon 03-24-24 05:27 AM

Ant0man really shouldn't be a "worst" film of the year when Flash and Marvels came out.

Happy to see Godzilla Minus One, Dream Scenario, and Saltburn show up...little sad that Infinity Pool and The Iron Claw only registered a single nom.

CosmicRunaway 03-24-24 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2448793)
...little sad that Infinity Pool and The Iron Claw only registered a single nom.
Other than your votes, The Iron Claw actually had a couple nominations for Best Film, and Zac Efron had a handful of votes for Best Actor as well. So it had some support, just not enough to break through.

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2448793)
Ant0man really shouldn't be a "worst" film of the year when Flash and Marvels came out.
They both received a few votes as well. After the 3 "runner's up" I already mentioned, The Flash and The Marvels were just 1 point behind those.

I think that once films get a reputation for being bad, people tend to avoid them, so they don't get as many votes as they probably deserve.

CosmicRunaway 03-24-24 05:48 AM

Now that I'm thinking about it, the only Marvel/Sony or DC film I watched this past year was Guardians of the Galaxy, and I keep forgetting it exists even though it was fine. Heard nothing but negative things about all the others, and I was already suffering pretty badly from superhero fatigue and had no interest in seeing them anyway.

Well, I heard a fair amount of positive things about Spider-man, and I probably should watch it since it's in a number of categories, but I'm just really not feeling it. Maybe that'll change over the next couple of weeks.... we'll see.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-24 12:57 PM

If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask

Did anyone besides me vote Hunger Games for... anything?

Thursday Next 03-24-24 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2448848)

Yes, I voted it for biggest surprise as it was much better than I was expecting.

CosmicRunaway 03-24-24 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2448848)
Other than what Thursday already said, it also got a point in the Mixed Bag category, and a nomination for Best Visuals.

LAMb EELYAK 03-24-24 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2448866)
Other than what Thursday already said, it also got a point in the Mixed Bag category, and a nomination for Best Visuals.

Thanks, I was a bit disappointed not to see Tom Blyth in the breakout category at least.

Also kind of funny that none of the embarrassingly large number of votes I threw its way were in any of the three categories anyone else put it in.

CosmicRunaway 03-24-24 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by LAMb EELYAK (Post 2448871)
Thanks, I was a bit disappointed not to see Tom Blyth in the breakout category at least.
Best Breakout Performance was probably the biggest it's ever been this year. Even I had the full 5 nominations in that category, when I normally have just 1, maybe 2 there.

TheUsualSuspect 03-25-24 10:47 PM

Here I go! - I managed to see every single film involved with the previous awards and I've seen a fair few of these. I might struggle when it comes to documentaries and their availability. The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi? Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.
Quasi was a vote from me. It's the Broken Lizard guys (whom I find actually pretty funny) but this film about a Quasimodo-type character was a complete misfire.

PHOENIX74 03-30-24 02:29 AM

Knocked Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, Elemental, Polite Society, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, All of Us Strangers, Knock at the Cabin, Bottoms, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. and American Fiction off the list over the past week or so.

stillmellow 03-30-24 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2448884)
Best Breakout Performance was probably the biggest it's ever been this year. Even I had the full 5 nominations in that category, when I normally have just 1, maybe 2 there.

Very much so!

I've sent in my ballot, although I admit my pick for Best Movie of the year is somewhat of a protest vote. I can't believe Barbie wasn't even eligible. I didn't expect it to win, but not even a nomination? Shenanigans!

CosmicRunaway 03-30-24 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2450453)
Knocked Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, Elemental, Polite Society, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, All of Us Strangers, Knock at the Cabin, Bottoms, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. and American Fiction off the list over the past week or so.
Wow, you've been busy!

I only saw Society of the Snow haha. I do plan to watch a few more before voting though.

CosmicRunaway 04-02-24 06:01 PM

I've also watched The Killer and Perfect Days now. They didn't land many nominations, but I was interested in checking them out anyway. Definitely not going to get to see either The Boy and the Heron or Godzilla Minus One before the deadline on the 26th, which I think I will be forever salty about.

CosmicRunaway 04-05-24 03:04 AM

The deadline to get those votes in is just 3 weeks away!
You don't need to vote in every category, but it would be nice if you did!

PHOENIX74 04-05-24 04:00 AM

In the time since I last checked in I watched They Cloned Tyrone, Nimona, The Exorcist: Believer, Godzilla Minus One, Enys Men, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Sly, Perfect Days, Wham!, 20 Days in Mariupol and The League, knocking them off my list. I might actually get to see all those docs after all. So, striving for 100% completion again this year.

CosmicRunaway 04-06-24 10:59 AM

I tried to watch Spider-man since it's in so many categories, but I barely made it past the opening credits because I was already tired of constantly having to adjust the volume. Dialogue would be so quiet I have to turn it up, but then the music was so loud it felt like it was going to blow my speakers and I'd have to rush to turn it down again.

I'm really, really tired of films having such inconsistent audio levels. People complained about Tenet, but I thought the sound in that was perfectly fine. Spider-man, on the other hand, is unwatchable because of it. I won't be giving it another go.

CosmicRunaway 04-10-24 03:43 PM

I wasn't going to watch Asteroid City since I don't particularly like Wes Anderson, but I decided to give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Too bad it didn't make it into the "Biggest Surprise" category, because kind of digging a film I expected to hate would've definitely gotten it my vote there.

CosmicRunaway 04-12-24 11:23 AM

There are just 2 weeks left to submit your picks for this year's winners!
Remember: you don't need to have participated in the nominations round in order to vote in this one! The more people who vote, the merrier!

I'm going to tag those who did participate in round 1, but haven't voted for the winners yet. If I tag you, but you have already sent me your final ballot, I may have just forgotten to add your name to the list in the 7th post, but please remind me just in case!

@Allaby @ApexPredator @Harry Lime @John-Connor @LAMb EELYAK @PHOENIX74
@sawduck @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @Torgo @Tugg

Allaby 04-12-24 11:38 AM

Just sent in my ballot.

Harry Lime 04-12-24 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2453994)
There are just 2 weeks left to submit your picks for this year's winners!
Can you send out another similar reminder in about a week? I have most of my ballot done. Thanks

CosmicRunaway 04-12-24 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2454011)
Can you send out another similar reminder in about a week? I have most of my ballot done. Thanks
Will do! :up:

PHOENIX74 04-12-24 10:52 PM

I've only got three films and a couple of categories to go.

CosmicRunaway 04-13-24 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2454201)
I've only got three films and a couple of categories to go.
I really admire and appreciate the dedication you have! Not sure how many people can say they've watched all the films, especially not if they have to go out of their way to watch the worst and most disappointing nominations.

Harry Lime 04-13-24 09:55 AM

Okay I sent in my votes. I don't get how The Zone of Interest is up for Best Director but not Best Film but oh well.

CosmicRunaway 04-13-24 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 2454248)
I don't get how The Zone of Interest is up for Best Director but not Best Film but oh well.
It got pushed out of the Best Film category in the 11th hour, and only lost its place by 1 point. Proof that every vote counts.

sawduck 04-14-24 04:54 PM

I've sent my votes in, i'm hoping we get some different winners than we've had from the majority of awards shows this year

CosmicRunaway 04-16-24 05:52 PM

So Godzilla Minus One finally has a streaming date... one week after the deadline for voting. :mad:

CosmicRunaway 04-19-24 10:41 AM

There is only 1 week left until the deadline!
It is not being extended for Godzilla Minus One, as much as I'd like to see that film before finalizing my ballot haha.

Once again I'm going to tag the people who participated in nominating films, but who haven't voted for the winners yet. I know some of you don't need the reminder, but I figured I'd tag everyone anyway, just in case!

@ApexPredator @LAMb EELYAK @PHOENIX74 @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @Tugg

PHOENIX74 04-19-24 11:12 PM

Seen the lot (even Godzilla Minus One) and I feel like an exhausted marathon runner. There were 30 films all-up I hadn't seen - if you ever want to try and complete them, I advise people start immediately when the nominations are revealed. There were a few categories where seeing the film I hadn't seen made all of the difference. Anyway, it sure makes me feel like I've covered 2023. Things like Bottoms, The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers and Mission Impossible had been high on my list anyway, and the documentaries were mostly pleasant surprises.

Finals votes submitted!

CosmicRunaway 04-20-24 05:40 AM

As I've said before, I really appreciate and admire your commitment to seeing all the nominations! <3

I'm glad there were some pleasant surprises in there, and that it seems to have been time well spent after all. If, in future years, more people are interested in seeing all nominations (or as many of them as possible) before voting for a winner, we can always adjust the amount of time given between the finalists reveal and the voting deadline.

I was planning on making a little questionnaire/feedback survey when this is over, mainly asking about the categories and opinions on changes I'm planning on making for the 2024 awards. I'll definitely add a question about the timeline of the awards as well, to gauge interest in making them longer, or maybe starting later in the year.

I think we always had them early to kind of coincide with the Oscars, but I don't think that's a limitation we need to follow, especially with so many films releasing late in the year, and more of us relying on worldwide streaming dates than we did previously.

CosmicRunaway 04-23-24 11:24 AM

The Deadline is in 3 days!
Remember: everyone is welcome to vote! You do not need to have participated in the nominations round in order to have a say in the winners!

mrblond 04-25-24 04:31 PM

Will the ceremony start tomorrow?

That waiting was forever. I think we are almost about to start the next awards. :sleep:

CosmicRunaway 04-26-24 10:02 AM

Today is the deadline!
Submit your votes today, or forfeit your right to complain about the winners!

Originally Posted by mrblond (Post 2457178)
Will the ceremony start tomorrow?
Since this post is 17 hours old now, I'm not sure if you technically meant today or tomorrow. I am still accepting votes today (Friday), and the reveal will be tomorrow (Saturday) evening.

Planning to start around 3:30pm Eastern US/9:30pm Central European time zones.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2457346)
I forgot to say so yesterday, but if this is a terrible time for everyone, I could start a couple hours early. I wouldn't be able to start much later though.

Tugg 04-27-24 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2457346)
Is this still the time for MoFo Awards Ceremony?

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2457741)
Is this still the time for MoFo Awards Ceremony?
Yes... as long as I did my time zone conversion properly lol. Should start in just less than an hour. I've got everything ready to go.

Tugg 04-27-24 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2457746)
Yes... as long as I did my time zone conversion properly lol. Should start in just less than an hour. I've got everything ready to go.
I checked, the time conversion is correct. For me it means 10:30 PM Lithuanian time.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:32 PM

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=96858

It's time to reveal the winners of the 2023 MoFo Film Awards!

It's finally time to see how the tastes of us MoFos stack up against the big film awards! Will the results be predicable, or have we deviated from what is expected? Before we begin, I'd like to thank everyone who nominated these films, and those who voted for the winners:

@Allaby @ApexPredator @beelzebubble @Harry Lime @Holden Pike @John-Connor
@LAMb EELYAK @mrblond @PHOENIX74 @sawduck @ScarletLion @seanc @Siddon @stillmellow @TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @Torgo @Tugg

And thanks to everyone watching from the sidelines! Now, let's get this show on the road!

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:36 PM

Best Visual Effects

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98107

These were the nominees for the first award of the year, and it was a tight race!
We couldn't decide on one winner, so we already have our first tie!

And the winners are...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98782
The Creator

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98783
Oppenheimer

Coming in a close third was Godzilla Minus One.
Is this the last we'll be seeing of Oppenheimer, or will it be this year's Banshees of Inisherin?

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:41 PM

Best Sound

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98108

Unlike our previous award, this category had one clear favourite.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98785
The Zone of Interest

This one won by a fair margin, with Oppenheimer coming in second.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:45 PM

Best Score

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98109

During nominations, there had been a number of ties in this category.
However when it came time to vote for a winner, we had a clear favourite.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98786
Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer already has a second award under it's belt! How many more will it take home?
Poor Things was happy to have second place.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:48 PM

Best Breakout Performance

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98113

This was a very tight race, and only one point separates first and second place.

And the winner is...

Tugg 04-27-24 04:49 PM

Score was the best thing about Oppenheimer.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98787
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

Da’Vine Joy Randolph's performance in The Holdovers earned her second place.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tugg (Post 2457777)
Score was the best thing about Oppenheimer.
I actually didn't really remember much about the score, and had to skip through the film again while listening closely to figure out what scene I wanted to accompany its win in that category.

I think more subtle soundtracks don't really make an impact on me. It's definitely good when the music doesn't stick out or detract from a film though.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:56 PM

Best Cinematography

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98111

Another category with a clear, definite favourite.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98788
Poor Things

Both Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer tied for second.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:00 PM

Another category that our opinions were pretty spread out when we nominated our favourites.
And when it came time to vote for a winner... we were still divided. It's another tie.

And the winners are...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98789
Asteroid City

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98790
Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer takes home another award, while Asteroid City wins one of only two it was eligible for.
Will this be the last we see of each film, or will one or both of them win again tonight?

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:07 PM

"Mixed Bag" Award

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98114

Despite this award being about split opinions, we actually had a clear favourite.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98791
Maestro

Barbie was a distant second place.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:10 PM

Funniest Scene

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98115

Comedy is very subjective, but our opinions on these nominations were in alignment.
We had another clear favourite for the funniest scene of the year.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98792
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
questioning the undead

Barbie once again came in second place, with its commercial for Depression Barbie®.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:14 PM

Most Memorable Scene

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98116

There were a lot of memorable scenes nominated in this category, and it was a close race to find a winner.
There is only 1 point difference in the first place scene and the two that tied for second.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98793
Barbie
"I'm just Ken" performance

Finally finding its way out of the second place slot, the Kens won Barbie its first award.
In second place was the Trinity test from Oppenheimer, and Saltburn's
"Murder on the Dancefloor" scene.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:18 PM

Most Underrated Movie

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98117

It was a tight race between two of these films to find which one we thought
was the most criminally underrated.
Only one point separates first and second place.

And the winner is...

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98794
Dream Scenario

Asteroid City fought hard, but will have to settle for taking home just one award and second place.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-24 05:23 PM

Most Overrated Movie

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=98118

This was another close race between three films.
Just one point separated the winner from the two that tied for second.

And the winner is...