Dead Poet's Society

→ in
Tools    

Love this Movie!
I love this movie for the storyline, the great dramatic characters, and
for the love of poetry.
Robin Williams portrays a wonderful teacher! 10/10!
I love the way he teaches his students to really live life and to express your feelings. He taught them to be free and to stand up for what you believe in.

I so love this movie.......it just makes my heart sing.

As an idealistic youth this was one of my favorite movies... As I've grown older and watched it again I find it to be not as enjoyable, though still a decent movie. I guess I'm just a jaded SOB

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Mose
As an idealistic youth this was one of my favorite movies... As I've grown older and watched it again I find it to be not as enjoyable, though still a decent movie. I guess I'm just a jaded SOB
I've had a similar experience, though I was very bugged the first time I saw it by the suicide. I really don't like things that glorify that sort of thing. Enough teens kill themselves as it is.

That said, there is a lot that I love about the film. It has great atmosphere and Williams was fantastic. I think this was the first serious role I'd seen him in, and he really suprised me.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I've had a similar experience, though I was very bugged the first time I saw it by the suicide. I really don't like things that glorify that sort of thing. Enough teens kill themselves as it is.
Enough to make a movie about it? I've never thought about it as glorifying...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I'm typically a huge American poetry geek, but my geekery didn't entirely make up for the acting, the melodrama, and the overall mediocre formulaic nature of the film.

It was okay, I suppose.

Randomly visiting for now
I loved this movie too, it had such emotion in it and really showed us a believable world with complex characters. I'd never seen Robin Williams in such a serious role, with little or no comedy but he was great. I wouldn't call myself a poetry fan but the way it's used in this movie is really cool. I'd give it an 9/10 .

I kind of like it. Williams did a good job, but it just kind of went too soap-operish for me. I'd rather watch The World According to Garp any day.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I kind of like it. Williams did a good job, but it just kind of went too soap-operish for me. I'd rather watch The World According to Garp any day.
Can you give a brief description of The World According To Garp?

"In this splendid film adaption of John Irving's bestseller, Robin Williams plays the role of T.S. Garp, a complex and unpredictable writer at odds with a violent and cruel world. "The World According to Garp" earned two Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actor, John Lithgow, and Best Supporting Actress, Glenn Close. " - Amazon.com

Took about 30 seconds to look up, but maybe you're short on time.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
Can you give a brief description of The World According To Garp?
Here's a link to the trailer, though it's not the original theatrical trailer and doesn't really tell you ****. Oh well.

Basically, it tells the life story of T. S. Garp (Robin Williams) and the people in his life. It begins with his childhood with his nearly lunatic mother (Glenn Close), who isn't as crazy as she sometimes appears. Then it moves on to his life with his wife and children, paying a lot of attention to when he met his wife. It tells of his foibles, accomplishments, and suffering. It's kind of a dramedy...not too serious, kind of quirky, and a lot of fun. Plus, John Lithgow plays a transvestite football player! Good stuff.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and all that.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Took about 30 seconds to look up, but maybe you're short on time.
But that doesn't promote discussion...meanie.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Here's a link to the trailer, though it's not the original theatrical trailer and doesn't really tell you ****. Oh well.

Basically, it tells the life story of T. S. Garp (Robin Williams) and the people in his life. It begins with his childhood with his nearly lunatic mother (Glenn Close), who isn't as crazy as she sometimes appears. Then it moves on to his life with his wife and children, paying a lot of attention to when he met his wife. It tells of his foibles, accomplishments, and suffering. It's kind of a dramedy...not too serious, kind of quirky, and a lot of fun. Plus, John Lithgow plays a transvestite football player! Good stuff.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and all that.

But that doesn't promote discussion...meanie.
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out soon. It's true I could have looked it up Garrett but I wanted LordSlaytan's opinion of the movie.

I wanted LordSlaytan's opinion of the movie.
I see.

BTW Garrett, what movie is your avatar from it looks familiar.
A Better Tomorrow II or maybe the first one... Not sure. It's been a while since I watched them.

Originally Posted by Garrett
I see.
You're just mad because he likes me better.

So im posting on a fairly old movie purely because i watched it only recently and found it to be a new favourite. I especially like the scene where robin williams character (Mr keating) for lack of a better word drags the confidence and creativity from his student and really gets him to flurish, to recite without thought or fear which in my mind is the key to any creative institute, dont think think just do. LOved loved loved it!!!!!!!

I know that it's too sentimental but I still love this movie,it's very inspiring.

This film is in my top 10 all time favorite films.
Very moving and one of Robin Williams best. IMO

Very good movie, though I haven't watched it for awhile.