Movie Tab II

Tools    

Death Sentence (2007)
Dir. James Wan

Cheesy score. Flawed logic. Decent ending though.

Southland Tales (2006)
Dir. Richard Kelly

A stunning achievement in egoism and cluelessness.

Man of Steel (2013)
Dir. Zack Snyder

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not as bad as Southland Tales. But close. Why is this man allowed to make movies?

I Hate Christian Laettner - ESPN Films: 30 for 30 (2015)
Dir. Rory Karpf

Pretty good documentary actually. Covers a lot of things, not just Laettner. Good socio-political topics fleshed out.

My Fair Lady (George Cukor, 1964) (Rewatch)

Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
+

Alfie (Lewis Gilbert, 1966)
+

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014) (Rewatch)

Millennium Actress (Satoshi Kon, 2001)
+

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

I'm gonna kill everyone and then pin the blame on Bill Clinton! I'm a genius!

全职杀手 [Fulltime Killer] (2001) -
(The premise is great, but the first hour is pretty decent. The cocky killer is pretty cool, but that's about it. The following 40 minutes are way better with an explosive finale and ambiguous ending. Best Johnnie To after The Mission.)

Apparently, Nymphomania is a nationality. Figures my nationality is Kinkiness, then.

The Saddest Music in the World (2003) -
(My first full-length Guy Maddin. I've seen about dozen of his shorts, but it's been until today I watched a feature film from this Canadian silent-era cinema lover. The movie is a piece of art. One can see Guy Madin is a silent cinema fanatic and loves it sincerely. The film feels like a silent with people talking! There's also a color scene from time to time and good music to boost. The dark humour was surprisingly good and well built-in into the mood of the movie, so it eventually did not become wacky.)

Setsuko Hara hates 'em pinkos.

わが青春に悔なし [No Regrets for Our Youth] (1946) -
(I haven't seen any earlier Kurosawa film. It starts out very politically-oriented - see the image - but then takes a turn from politics to a more human-oriented topic. The always electrifying Setsuko Hara gives a powerful performance. Even the characters in the movie feel like screaming 'great acting, damn, i suck compared to you!'. For example, a man comes to her really motivated to convince her, but she doesn't even have to say a word to make him say: 'I don't know whether it's zeal or devotion, but your sheer life force makes me feel ashamed.' and leave. The movie is very sad.)

The chemistry between the actors is great!

The Artist (2011) -
(Unlike Maddin's flashy take, Hazanavicius' approach is much simpler, but just as charming. The movie is just too likeable to give it any lower rating. The chamberlain is perhaps the greatest 'side-kick' of silent cinema I've seen since Les Vampires' Mazamette, while the doggie is the cutest dog since Port of Shadows.)

How old is she? She looks twelve, but her breasts tell me 30. When naked, her breasts are pretty big, but when she's wearing a blouse, she's flat. WTF. Guap, explain this!

A KITE (1998) -
(Naked little kids having sex with adults and then killing people, blood spewing everywhere as the bullets pierce bodies and then make them explode in glorious fountains or red paint. The plot is dark and interesting to follow, if you're not interested in sex and violence already.)

Figures she was a very fertile musician. Never heard of her before.

Fingered (1986) -
(It starts from a phone conversation. The man tells a woman he would love to have sexual intercourse with her, only that he uses bad words to do it. Then they meet and have sex, but the guy feels like poppin' off somebody from time to time, because why the hell not, he's in an avangt-garde film. The girl seems to dislike him for that, but she likes his member, so she decides not to leave him. F*cked up film, just like me, so I kinda liked it.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn (2014)
Dir. Liv Corfixen

Big disappointment for me. Love Refn and was so excited to see how he took the whole Only God Forgives fiasco. Then, just nothing. About ten minutes of him actually making the thing and expressing concerns about it not being that good. Other than that, it's nothing. He hangs out with Ryan Gosling and makes him wear a blanket over his stomach. That's the most memorable moment.

Terrible.

The Babadook (2014)
Dir. Jennifer Kent

I can't find many things to complain about with this one. Great performance, great directing and a solid original horror piece almost completely devoid of any tropes or cliches. Very surprised by this. It warrants all the praise its received IMO. I've yet to see It Follows, but for now this is my favorite horror movie over the past year or so. Easily.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Fatal Instinct (Luciano Saber, 2014)

The Pride of the Yankees (Sam Wood, 1942)

American Yakuza (Frank Cappello, 1993)

The Fountainhead (King Vidor, 1949)

Although the film is about the artist (in this case architect Gary Cooper) having complete control over his creation, it’s also about animal magnetism and sexual politics, with his relationship with newspaper critic Patricia Neal.
Mercury Rising (Harold Becker, 1998)
+
Captivity (Roland Joffé, 2007)

Bikini Spring Break (Jared Cohn, 2012)

Silent Night, Deadly Night (Charles E. Sellier Jr., 1984)
(includes camp rating)

This film has some great gifs, but most of them can’t be shown here. As you can see, this is about a disturbed Santa Claus who does variations of what he does here to a naked snowman to living people.
Yours, Mine & Ours (Raja Gosnell, 2005)
+
Skyjacked (John Guillermin, 1972)

Lovely Molly (Eduardo Sánchez, 2012)

About Last Night (Steve Pink, 2014)

Joy Bryant and Michael Ealy are one of the two Los Angeles couples whose relationship is examined in an adaptation of David Mamet’s Sexual Perversity in Chicago
Dead Souls (Colin Theys, 2012)
-
Rome Adventure (Delmer Daves, 1962)
+
A Promise (Patrice Leconte, 2014)

Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)

Police captain Hank Quinlan (Orson Welles) is full of and dispenses loads of bull wherever he goes in his border empire.
Beneath the Darkness (Martin Guigui, 2012)

Mr. Arkadin aka Confidential Report (Orson Welles, 1955)
+
The New Daughter (Luiso Barejo, 2009)
+
The Lady from Shanghai (Orson Welles, 1947)

The stylized hall of mirrors finale with Everett Sloane and Rita Hayworth.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The finale of The Lady from Shanghai is mindblowingly awesome!

So is Touch of Evil's first scene.

I prefer these two movies to Citizen Kane, actually.

Think I'm going to see Touch of Evil and Lady from Shanghai on the big screen over the next half-month.

And Lydia Lunch's music isn't that great. She was the weak link in The Immaculate Consumptives!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As a NY Mets fan, I'm obligated to hate the NY Yankees, but I have to admit that The Pride of the Yankees is a great movie.

I haven't watched Mr. Arkadin yet, but I DVRed it from TCM last night. I also DVRed Journey Into Fear. Did you watch Journey Into Fear too? What's your rating for it?

You didn't as me but I gave Journey Into Fear
(on the plus side). The opening scene is great, but otherwise it's mostly interesting as a footnote to Welles' much weirder later 'noirs', and for Welles's girlfriend Dolores del Rio's leopard suit.

You didn't as me but I gave Journey Into Fear
(on the plus side). The opening scene is great, but otherwise it's mostly interesting as a footnote to Welles' much weirder later 'noirs', and for Welles's girlfriend Dolores del Rio's leopard suit.
I didn't watch it last night, but from previous viewings, I give it

Well, I was hoping for a higher rating, but it's already on the DVR, so I'll give it a chance anyway.

Killer Legends (Joshua Zeman, 2014)

Half-assed documentary tracing 3 urban legends to true crime stories. Some observations and criticisms I had while watching this movie:

Why did the documentarians visit the Showman's Rest memorial at night? The mass grave of circus performers, many anonymous, who were killed in a train wreck is not scary. It's tragic. One of the most obvious places where they get their tired tropes mixed up.

I'd be surprised if a great many (most?) Chicagoans did not know who John Wayne Gacy was. The ten-minute build-up to the revelation of a "real" killer clown behind the various panics is silly. I was happy to learn of the menacing "Homey the Clown" sightings from the early 90s though.

What was with the clown these two clowns interviewed? Did they inadvertently discover that the real reason for the various clown scares is that there's some hipster who likes to drive around in clown make-up acting overtly creepy? I liked that they left that ride-along scene without comment. One of the only maybe-intentional comedy bits.

The earnest open-ended philosophical cliches. The reheated Joseph Campbell is probably the most ridiculous: "Everyone's personality is made up of multiple archetypes. Evil Clown, for example". My favorite is "Is it possible to tell where fact ends and fiction begins?" because of how it almost immediately follows several gratuitous clips from the corny (and fictitious, we are informed) trombone bludgeoning scene from The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

The idea of a (black) man being railroaded and rushed to execution in the Jim Crow 50s (not that it doesn't still happen, or was isolated to the south) seems completely over these peoples' heads, even when it's blatantly implied by one of their interviewees. This is probably obvious to most people, but there's not much of an excuse for crime dramas that have a weird portrayal of crime divorced from any context in the criminal justice system. Maybe it would be more okay if it wasn't most of them. And it kind of gives the lie to the whole "cautionary tale" bullsh!t. End message.

I'm sick to death of the pretense that - among other things - "***** just got real"; e.g., the "surprised discovery" of evidence that is clearly edited together from multiple takes, and most likely researched before filming ever began. That is to say, I was already sick of phony candid gimmickry from the first time I saw reality tv, but now I'm dead, it killed me. I got a little bit of reanimation from the guy who walks up to the filmmakers on the street to be interviewed and says "Hey, are you filming a documentary?" The way it's presented makes it seem like there's some old coot who just hangs around an abandoned industrial zone waiting for people to interview him.

The German profiler they interview via skype should probably lose the pedophile glasses if he wants to be taken seriously by law enforcement. Other than that he didn't seem that full of *****.

Some of the experts they interviewed seemed okay too. The guy from the Library of Congress was actually informative.

Well, I was hoping for a higher rating, but it's already on the DVR, so I'll give it a chance anyway.
Well, I can't speak for mark. But I have it in for fun, entertainment, old-timeyness, new-fangledness etc. etc., so feel free to consider my rating a recommendation.

Well, I can't speak for mark. But I for one have it in for fun, entertainment, old-timeyness, new-fangledness etc. etc. so feel free to consider my rating a recommendation.

Okay, but that sounds like a pretty low recommendation.

Brother John (James Goldstone, 1971)

Hail Caesar (Anthony Michael Hall, 1994)
+
Hateship Loveship (Liza Johnson, 2014)

Cinderella Liberty (Mark Rydell, 1973)

While on leave, navy bosun James Caan meets and falls in love with hooker Marsha Mason and takes a shine to her neglected son Kirk Calloway, but numerous complications ensue.
Real Genius (Martha Coolidge, 1985)
+
The Wild North (Andrew Marton, 1952)

A Screaming Man (Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2010)

Grosse Pointe Blank (George Armitage, 1997)

Paid assassin John Cusack has to so a job and has a run-in with other killers while attending his high school reunion.
Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz, 2012)

Thunderbird 6 (David Lane, 1968)

Decision at Sundown (Budd Boetticher, 1957)
-
Mission Impossible III (J.J. Abrams, 2006)
+

While transporting powerful black market kingpin Philip Seymour Hoffman, IMF agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his team are attacked on a bridge and lose their man.
Bigger Than Life (Nicholas Ray, 1956)

Space Warriors (Sean McNamara, 2013)

The Baby (Ted Post, 1973)

It’s Alive (Larry Cohen, 1974)

Mother Sharon Farrell is worried about her unborn child, and with good reason too, when she delivers a mutant who kills many of the hospital staff, escapes and kills often in the Los Angeles area. The “father” (John P. Ryan) actively hunts the thing, and it’s all set to a florid Bernard Herrmann musical score.
It Lives Again (Larry Cohen, 1978)

5 Fingers (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1952)

Nurse (Douglas Aarniokoski, 2013)

The Mudlark (Jean Negulesco, 1950)

Orphaned street child Andrew Ray finds a cameo of Queen Victoria (Irene Dunne) whom a friend tells him is the mother of all England, so he sneaks into Windsor Castle to try to see her.

I saw Real Genius the first time at a sneak preview in Chicago on a brief vacation with an air traffic controller friend who was from there. We each took familiarization ("fam") flights in the cockpit from the San Francisco Bay area to and from there. It was a fun trip - we also went to two games at Wrigley Field and a jazz club. Anyway, I guess I liked Real Genius better 30 years ago, but I've never given it more than
in the half dozen or so times I've seen it.

Grosse Pointe Blank (George Armitage, 1997)

Paid assassin John Cusack has to so a job and has a run-in with other killers while attending his high school reunion.

Glad you like it, but hate your rating system.