The Pawnbroker

→ in
Tools    

Murderous Whirlwind of Wit
The Pawnbroker (1964) - Sindy Lumet

My introduction to Lumet was his 1973 triumph "Serpico", followed by the unique "Dog Day Afternoon". I thoroughly enjoyed both of these contrasting films, both containing some very powerful acting on completely opposite poles provided by the ever talented Al Pacino. Thus proving that Lumet can deal with directing talent

Then my desire to follow up on the acclaimed director led me to "The Pawnbroker". I had mixed feelings at first. Thinking, another shot at telling an all familiar yet interesting story of intense dramatic value, comparing it to the two previous films noted above, would be difficult to beat. Yet "The Pawnbroker" brought my ignorance to a hault immediately. It truly was a magnificent piece of cinema. Although it isn't a perfectly executed film, it has some great moments within all the aspects of production.

The reason why I felt that it was a success, was the powerful and detailed storytelling Lumet provided. His diversity with the camera helped propel the plot and enhanced the film's theme.

Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night), made an incredible presence on screen portraying a survivor from a Nazi concentration camp who now lives a lonely life running a Pawnshop in the Harlem ghetto. He certainly made the film, also giving credit to Lumet for preparing Steiger for one of the most memorable performances in his career. He never once broke character and had a number of powerful scenes that hindered the believability of the story, but he did an outstanding job.

Again back to my ranting on editing, "The Pawnbroker" was very well cut together. It's constant flashback cutting help set the mood of the film establishing the Steiger's character's past and helped continue the flow of his emotional journey. The flashbacks were well assembled and created a unique style of storytelling.

The lighting was again a large portion of the film, where it continued to develop character flaws and underlying themes. Lumet's camera placement was very crucial in telling this unfortunate story. He needed to ensure that it coincided with the film's theme and capture the raw emotion on screen provided by Steiger. I wouldn't suggest that the cinematograhy was totally outstanding, simply that it was well thought out thematically and technically lighting wise. The interesting component of filmmaking technique that Lumet used throughout the film was short spurts of hand-held, slow-motion and lighting for mood. I am an advocate of the technique but unsure of its need in "The Pawnbroker". Lumet also enjoys the subtle dolly moves, but doesn't always execute them at the best times. His use of shadows were very powerful and were an essential aesthetical choice with the film's content and story.

The major disappointments with "The Pawnbroker" were the music and the ending. Quincy Jones provided the score, but only succeeded with a couple scenes. Perhaps it is the Sound Editor's choice, but I am sure that Lumet had a say in the final approval. It was most obvious that it wasn't working at the end of the film. I am not sure if Quincy was the right man for the job, although he is incredibly talented himself, but Lumet should have considered revising it due to its contrasting value. In regards to the ending that was intensely built up in the second act, it was poorly chosen. I never felt closure for Steiger's character and the resolution was foggy. I also do not approve of the Hollywood cliche of ending with a crane rasing from low to high, and layered with the poorly composed music from Mr. Jones didn't mesh. It should have been shot more appropriately and without music.

Besides the score and the ending, I would say that Lumet did an impressive job on "The Pawnbroker". His attention to working with the actors is obvious. He understands the importance of prep and collaboration. Lumet also does a fantastic job with visual storytelling and uncomfortable framing.

For those who have seen it please drop me your thoughts, and for those who have not seen "The Pawnbroker", take a chance on Lumet for he is indeed a talented director and it is proven in this film.

peace!

Radio Raheem

A system of cells interlinked
Another great review Raheem. I enjoy reviews that cover a film globally, as this one does, touching on many elements of the filmmaking process.

Hope to see more of your stuff around, and I would consolidate all your reviews into a thread of their own to keep them from getting lost in the shuffle. Taking care of this now means a tighter site and greater ease of use for you

Again, excellent work!

Cheers

_S

Great review "Radio..." , nice to see a fan of the masterful Lumet and his enthralling film THE PAWNBROKER (8/10) Im a big fan of Rod Steiger, the film and its director.

Make sure you dont overlook Lumet's collaborations with Sean Connery, (THE HILL, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, THE ANDERSON TAPES & THE OFFENCE) they're arguably his finest work. Like all of Lumets work they have definite social relevance and realism.

Just to round out the other must see Lumet titles
12 ANGRY MEN
FAIL SAFE
THE APPOINTMENT
EQUUS
DEATH TRAP
NETWORK