The Conformist

→ in
Tools    

The Conformist (1970) Bernardo Bertolucci

Bertolluci has often compared making movies to writing poetry. In terms of editing (and I'm paraphrasing), Bertolluci says that every shot is like a word, and you can truly write a beautiful poem, create a beautiful film, by correctly placing the right shots side by side.

Never have I yet been let down by a Bertolluci film, even the mediocre "The Dreamers". There is something about them - maybe his choice of cinematographers: Vittorio Storaro ("The Last Emperor"", "Apocalypse Now",) or musicians: George Delerue ("Les Mempris", "Platoon"), or maybe just being a complete genius himself... whatever it is, Bertolluci can sure make a film.

The Conformist details a fascist man, who travels with his new wife to assassinate his old teacher, who is an anti fascist. Pretty simple.

The thing which captivates me about this film though, is the "mise en scene" of it. His Compositions, along with the extremely beautiful lighting, leave us with so many images worthy of worship in an art museum. Any budding cinematographers out there MUST see this film.

Why a film like "Blow Up" would get the Criterion DVD treatment, while a film like "The Conformist" would fail to even get a DVD treatment OR a VHS re release, is a bit silly.

I can go on forever about this film, and Bertolucci himself, but who would listen? Any of you who has dared to read this far will have to settle for the watered down version.

An interesting thing to do for hopeful filmmakers... watch first Melville's "le Samourai", then "The Conformist", and then cap it off with a nice viewing of 'Millers Crossing". It's interesting to see the evolution of cinematic influence. Hey, while you're at it, why not add in Fassbinder's "The American Soldier". Report to me your findings. Go forth, and film the world!

That's all from me for now.

The only thing about Il Conformista that doesn't sit right with me is it's coda. The film works so perfectly, up until that damned coda, which just seems much too...pushy [it's the same with the coda in 1900, which isn't nearly as strong a movie anyway].

But it's definitely beautiful, definitely powerful and very, very well-made.

I also LOVE Bertolucci's Last Tango in Paris (1973).

I am having a nervous breakdance
Il Conformista is one of those films that I read and heard so much about and then when I finally saw it I was a bit disappointed. It's often like that when you see films that are supposed to be one of the best films ever made. I think I need to see it again and view it in a more objective way. But, as Travis said, it's not the easiest of films to get a hold of.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
But, as Travis said, it's not the easiest of films to get a hold of.
Did he say that?

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Did he say that?

Originally Posted by Travis
Why a film like "Blow Up" would get the Criterion DVD treatment, while a film like "The Conformist" would fail to even get a DVD treatment OR a VHS re release, is a bit silly.

Oh, I thought you said "get a hold on".
Like, to "come to grips with" or something.

Oh, I thought you said "get a hold on".
Like, to "come to grips with" or something.
Now I'm confused... What I meant was that it is not easy to find.

The only thing about Il Conformista that doesn't sit right with me is it's coda.
Yes, I agree about that. At first, I was a bit confused. The closing scene seemed to come and go, leaving me unsatisfied. I actually had to rewind the last few minutes, because it seemed to end as I blinked.

And yes, this film is very hard to find.

Now I'm confused... What I meant was that it is not easy to find.
Sigh.

And what I thought you meant was that it's not easy to take/stomach/like/enjoy.

I misread your post. Can we please just stop confusing each other now?

Sigh.

And what I thought you meant was that it's not easy to take/stomach/like/enjoy.

I misread your post. Can we please just stop confusing each other now?
What do you mean?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Travis_Bickle
Any of you who has dared to read this far
Am i "daring" now i've read this far into the thread?

There certainly seems to be a lot of grappling with certainty, market forces, and coda going on

Very daring indeed Golgot. You're name alone shows how daring you are.

I once had a horse, she was hit by a car.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Travis_Bickle
Very daring indeed Golgot. You're name alone shows how daring you are.

I once had a horse, she was hit by a car.
Wait! Do you know what my name means? I haven't got a clue. (it's true). Just made it up when i was a young unix-surfing student of gloom. I've decided since then it's a French hacker's tool. Do tell all. I want to know why i'm full of gall

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
?
hahaha, I had to reply to this because it is very funny, I see the point that silver tried to make... perhaps if you read every post starting from the confusing one at the beginning to well.......here, it would be clear, and maybe even find it as funny as I found it.

"Get a hold on the funny-ness"

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
hahaha, I had to reply to this because it is very funny, I see the point that silver tried to make... perhaps if you read every post starting from the confusing one at the beginning to well.......here, it would be clear, and maybe even find it as funny as I found it.

"Get a hold on the funny-ness"
What exactly do you mean?