the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

→ in
Tools    

I have only seen this one of the entire Dollars Trilogy, and I must say it's the best western I have ever seen! The music alone is worth watching the movie for, let alone Clint Eastwood in-IMO-his best performance. I was just wondering what you guys thought of it, and if either one of the first two are better, or GB&U is the best.
And found he was eating his shoe.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of my favorites… and, IMO, the best of the Dollars Trilogy … followed by A Few Dollars More and then, of course, A Fist Full of Dollars… but I highly recommend watching all of them…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
I have only seen this one of the entire Dollars Trilogy, and I must say it's the best western I have ever seen! The music alone is worth watching the movie for, let alone Clint Eastwood in-IMO-his best performance. I was just wondering what you guys thought of it, and if either one of the first two are better, or GB&U is the best.

There are some days I just need to take in a old western, and there are two I go for...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Oh crap, I like High Plains Drifter as well, so it's three not two. Anyway these films are the bomb. Josey Wales is such an awesome story, while the characters in the Dollars trilogy and TMWNN films are unmatched in the genre.

Originally Posted by Sedai
There are some days I just need to take in a old western, and there are two I go for...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Oh crap, I like High Plains Drifter as well, so it's three not two. Anyway these films are the bomb. Josey Wales is such an awesome story, while the characters in the Dollars trilogy and TMWNN films are unmatched in the genre.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is my very favorite Clint Eastwood movie… and I totally agree, the story is just awesome…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my very favorite Clint Eastwood movie… and I totally agree, the story is just awesome…

"I would not surrender!! My horse? He surrendered."
"Now all I have is this piece of rock candy, but it's not for eating, only for looking through"
"How is it on stains?"

Love it

Question, is Tuco and Angel Eyes in all the Dollars Trilogy?

No, Eastwood's "Man with No Name" (though informally called "Joe" by the bartender in Fistful, referred to a couple times as "Manco" in Few Dollars More and of course "Blondy" by Tuco in GB&U) is the only character who is in all three films.

And to be clear, they aren't a true "trilogy". Eastwood plays a similar basic character with the same attire, but there is no clear storyarc, there are no references between the films to what happened in the others, and if you did try to construct a timeline (based on Civil War and post-Civil War settings) GB&U would be a prequel (he doesn't even discover the trademark poncho he wears in the first two films until near the end of GB&U).

Eli Wallach (Tuco) is not in either of the other two films, but Lee Van Cleef ("Angel Eyes" in GB&U) is in For A Few Dollars More - though as a completely different character: Colonel Mortermer. The actor who plays the main villian in A Fistful of Dollars, Gian Maria Volonte, also plays the chief baddie in For A Few Dollars More (though again, a completely different character).

And you should know A Fistful of Dollars is a very straight re-make of Akira Kurosawa's excellent Samurai adventure Yojimbo. Watch 'em together, they make a great double feature.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Sedai
"I would not surrender!! My horse? He surrendered."

I love that line… Chief Dan George was a great actor… did you know he was over 60 years old when he became an actor and was 77 when he filmed Josey Wales?

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger...we got something in this territory, called the Missouri boat ride.”

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And to be clear, they aren't a true "trilogy".
Yeah, I was a little confused the first time I saw them all called a trilogy… thanks for the info Holden...

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
No, Eastwood's "Man with No Name" (though informally called "Joe" by the bartender in Fistful, referred to a couple times as "Manco" in Few Dollars More and of course "Blondy" by Tuco in GB&U) is the only character who is in all three films.

And to be clear, they aren't a true "trilogy". Eastwood plays a similar basic character with the same attire, but there is no clear storyarc, there are no references between the films to what happened in the others, and if you did try to construct a timeline (based on Civil War and post-Civil War settings) GB&U would be a prequel (he doesn't even discover the trademark poncho he wears in the first two films until near the end of GB&U).

Eli Wallach (Tuco) is not in either of the other two films, but Lee Van Cleef ("Angel Eyes" in GB&U) is in For A Few Dollars More - though as a completely different character: Colonel Mortermer. The actor who plays the main villian in A Fistful of Dollars, Gian Maria Volonte, also plays the chief baddie in For A Few Dollars More (though again, a completely different character).

And you should know A Fistful of Dollars is a very straight re-make of Akira Kurosawa's excellent Samurai adventure Yojimbo. Watch 'em together, they make a great double feature.

Then, watch Kurosawa'a The Seven Samurai and try to guess how many films were based on that one...

I heard from Garrett at school, (yes the same Garrett on here) that most spaghetti-westerns are based on that Akira guy's films.

I heard from Garrett at school, (yes the same Garrett on here) that most spaghetti-westerns are based on that Akira guy's films.
Star Wars, The Magnificent Seven, hell I think Star Trek the Next Generation had a command crew of seven people templated off his stuff...These are many more as well....

"Most". Uh, no. There were about SIX-HUNDRED Spaghetti Westerns made between the mid 1960s and up through the 1970s. Only a couple have real links to Kurosawa. A Fistful of Dollars was the first truly successful Spaghetti Western, so it rather defined the genre. But that hardly means "most" Spaghetti Westerns are based somehow on the work of Akira Kurosawa.

Not only is Garrett's statement completely wrong, it's also horsesh!t. Don't know where in the heck he got that bit of info from, but it is just plain incorrect.

I must become Caligari..!
GBA is a fantastic film, The Trilogys best and Leones best,
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Originally Posted by Hondo333
GBU is a fantastic film, Leones best,
No kidding, I just love the main score Serggio did.
"AYAAAAAA, Wah WAH waaaaaaa"

And the score on the last showdown at the gravesight is really great. This guy is one good composer.

My favorite Western of all time, and probably ever. I first saw this movie when i was about 8 years old. And i loved it then, but up until about 3-4 years ago i couldnt remember the name. But back when AMC was good(when they didnt show commericals :P) they showed it and i was really stoked about it. All in all its a very good movie

im sorry the best western ever is once upon a time in the west