Back to the Future Trilogy..

Tools    

So I've been wondering for a while now. What do most people rank the Back to the Future trilogy at?

Rate them how you like them. For me its this.

What say you?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
same

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Yea same. 2 feels like an unfinished movie. Has it’s moments but somethings missing. I used to love 3, maybe more that 1 but haven’t seen it in years...need a rewatch.

I think with 2 is that 1 and 3 are romantic sci-fi comedies, where as two feels like it's trying to be more of a faster paced action thriller almost. So it feels too different than the other two possibly.

Honestly I always felt two was vastly superior to three, a genuinely interesting sequel that justifes its existence were as the third film was more just the first transplanted into the old west is IMHO rather uninspired(though Thomas F Wilson is excellent as ever) fashion.

A lot of fans seem to not like the old west setting, but is there any reason why that is?

I think people go for part 3 over 2 because there's no definite ending to part 2.
Part 1 could have been a standalone movie, even with that ending they had... but part 2 had a full on cliffhanger which tends to put people off.

For me:

There's just something super cool about the 2nd one that just tops the original.
I never really loved part 3. It's cool and fun, but I just don't have the same connection to it as I have with parts 2 and 1.

But other sequels have cliffhanger endings that people love as sequels, such as The Empire Strikes Back, or The Dark Knight, so does it really put people off for Part II?

But other sequels have cliffhanger endings that people love as sequels, such as The Empire Strikes Back, or The Dark Knight, so does it really put people off for Part II?

I think the cliffhanger on Empire made people want to watch the next one.
The cliffhanger on BTTF made people go "Fwoooar!!" and made them yearn for more, simply because the original film was so much fun overall.
The cliffhanger itself was well done, because it was: Talking about the future, the car flies, the car then flies at the camera, a flash of light, cool music... there was promise of adventure in the cliffhanger.

But the BTTF2 cliffhanger was almost a bum note in the way it played out, especially at the end of such a fun movie.
Huge fun during the film... then Doc simply passing out when Marty reappears and the camera panning out? It's kinda boring.
Then they had that end-credit sequence showing what was coming up in part 3.
I think it kinda spoils the anticipation, and leaves part 2 as a loose end.

I still prefer part 2 over 3 any day though.

A lot of fans seem to not like the old west setting, but is there any reason why that is?
I wouldn't take it as far as actively dislikeing it, the film is still watchable just well below the first two for me.

The setting itself though I think is definitely realised in a much less effective fashion than the 50's of the original and honestly often feels a bit cheap, indeed I think the start of the film set in the 50's is the best part of it. That does I think also highlight the other problem, compared to the original the old west 1985 Doc is I think rather too friendly and intune with Marty to make things as interesting. The whole story really lacks much bite to it for me after the two of them meet up again.

I love all 3. I really like 2 due to the futuristic concept but out of 2 and 3, 3 seemed to have a better story then 2. 2 got a little dark.

Yeah I can see people's points when comes to the second and third one. I feel that 1 and 3 are both good, cause they stick to the same genre of romantic comedy, where as 2 feels more like a thriller, and out of place with 1 and 3.

To me though one and two actually feel more similar in tone. Maybe two plays up the darkness more but the first film wasn't lacking in this, Marty see's Doc being gunned down, an unaware incest subplot, Biff's attempted rape of Loraine and George KOing him are played very intensively and you have Marty literally fading away onstage at one point before seeing Doc killed again(so he thinks). I think it works partly giving us what looks like an idealised conservative 50's setting but showing that modern undercurrents of sex and violence still exist.

The third film never really feels like it has that element to me, Maddog is well played and I spose nominally more evil than 50's Biff but he just feels more cartoonish and less threatening plus again its future Doc and Marty this time who are already close friends. Likewise the romance in the third film I think feels far more clichéd than the first film, its basically an old western romance where as the original is much more modern/realistic in showing the characters sexual curiosity.