Going to see West Side Story tonight

Tools    

Local theater is showing West Side Story tonight, taking the kids to see how the hardened gangs of New York used to settle their differences through dance!

Should have seen their faces when I told them that instead of The Incredibles 2 we were going to a 60's musical

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Local theater is showing West Side Story tonight, taking the kids to see how the hardened gangs of New York used to settle their differences through dance!

Should have seen their faces when I told them that instead of The Incredibles 2 we were going to a 60's musical
Yeah I'm a big believer in using dance and song in that way. Have a good time! Lucky kids.

Just a quick update on our family outing to see West Side Story. Our kids aged 11, 12 and 15 were all riveted by it. Two of them were even choked up over the tragedy near the end. Afterward they all discussed it with the same enthusiasm they do video games.

Just a testament to the power of the classics.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Got to see West Side Story at Seattle Cinerama in the 70MM format. Really special experience.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I went to see the original 1961 film version of West Side Story back in June of 2018, when it was playing in selected theatres nationwide, at a cinema here in Boston, with my sister-in-law and a longtime good friend of mine. We had lots of fun. I went to see it the following Wednesday, solo, and had an equally good time.

Last May, the original 70mm 1961 film version of West Side Story played at the Somerville Theatre, as part of that movie theatre's annual 70mm film festival with some good friends of mine, and it was equally fabulous. This great, golden oldie-but-keeper of a classic movie musical cries to be viewed on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low.

Got to see West Side Story at Seattle Cinerama in the 70MM format. Really special experience.
I got to see the original 1961 film version of West Side Story in 70mm, as part of the Somerville Theatre's annual 70mm film festival in both 2016 and 2019, both solo and with friends/family. There were good crowds, and we all had a wonderful time!

West Side Story is definitely a film that, if possible, should be experienced on a big screen.
Absolutely, Gideon58! The original 1961 film version of West Side Story absolutely cries to be viewed, on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, as it's really and truly meant to be viewed, and sharing the whole experience with a bunch of other people, whether one knows them or not.

It is a great experience--very special for me, too, since the original 1961 film version of West Side Story is my all time favorite movie, hands down!

It is a great experience--very special for me, too, since the original 1961 film version of West Side Story is my all time favorite movie, hands down!
Welcome back, WSSlover!
We were just missing you recently!
Seen any good movies lately? (That is... besides... you know.)

Unfortunately, I hadn't seen any movies in the movie theatre until 2.5 weeks ago, when 2 days of the 60th Anniversary of the original 1961 film version of West Side Story played in selected movie theatres here in the United States, including Boston, MA, which is a stone's throw from where I live, on Sunday, November 28th and Wednesday, December 1st. It was such a beautiful, ;pristine print of this film, and the soundtrack was perfect. Like always, I noticed things that I hadn't noticed in the last viewings of it 2 years ago--the smallest, subtlest gestures and expressions of various emotions of everybody, and other people in the background that I'd not seen before. I went with friends, and I went solo, and had a wonderful time in both screenings.

Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago were both on TV not that long ago, and I saw both of them, too, but neither of them hold the same special place in my heart regarding movies as the old, original 1961 film version of West Side Story.