Akira (1988)

→ in
Tools    

Watched this for the first time in years and forgot how good it is. I remember first catching this way back in 1995 when it premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel when they used to air anime every weekend (I sure feel old remembering that). An absolutely classic anime film in my opinion that still stands the test of time and holds up. It's got a great story accompanied by some truly remarkable visuals and plenty of action. It also has a very haunting quality to it that stays with you long after you've seen it. I've never read the original manga but am definitely seeking it out.

No idea about the live-action adaptation which seems to be struck in development Hell. Akira is a film that in the hands of the right director could be incredible done in live-action.

Also here's something of a blast from the past, remember this commercial back in the late 90s advertising the VHS (again, I feel old remembering there was a time VHS was the dominant home-viewing format):

Have you seen Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise? Apparently it has none of the same people working on it in the art department, however the drawing style is identical to Akira and it is older than Akira. Anyway, check it out, but don't expect any action.

Also, the Akira manga is outstanding. I have a couple volumes and it's composition and storytelling are phenomenal. I enjoy the differences between the manga and film though. They really did justice to the source material while also making it their own.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
KANADAAAAA!!!!!!

Welcome to the human race...
Here is my review from 2015. It is one of the few films I would honestly consider an all-time favourite.

Very good review. This movie is one that the more I watch it the more I pick up on little things that enhance it that much more.

probably the best anime film ever made

I grew up in the late 80's and 90's. Akira was kinda a big deal and clearly the most important movie for bringing anime to the western shores. It was by no means the first piece of Japanese animation to come to the US, but it did a lot to help make it popular.

I really should revisit it, but I will try watching it with the subtitles and Japanese audio.