Open Range

Tools    

The trailer has been showing before T3 and I've also seen a commrcial on cable somehwere that is pretty action focused.

Its been a long time since we've had a new, quality Western. I'm definitley all for reviving the genre. Especially after a summer full of CGI action. Judging from the trailer this one looks pretty good. Robert Duvall is starring and Kevin Costner is directing. Not bad. Annette Bening and Diego Luna are rounding off the cast.

thoughts?

My life isn't written very well.
Ok you guys. I'm not sure why Mr. Costner's movies get panned. I actually liked Waterworld and The Postman. I however despised Robin Hood, but that's just me. I'm looking forward to this. If anything Costner knows how to tell a good story. That said, I also liked Heaven's Gate, an epic, which Costner had nothing to do with, but is usually panned by critics. !

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I loved Robin Hood. Alan Rickman was a great villain.

Open Range looks cool.

See Alan run:

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong isn't a Kevin Costner fan (hated Dragonfly, and The Postman passionately), but for some reason Open Range has slightly piqued his interest so Kong'll be checking it out (maybe it's because it's a western). Kong figures the script must have been strong to attract Duvall and Bening, and although it's not a short film it doesn't appear to have the bloated, overly self-important running length that his last trip behind the camera did.

I’m not a huge Costner fan but I did like Dances with Wolves and Robin Hood wasn’t bad... except for his accent… ... and I like Duvall and Bening so I’m looking forward to Open Range

Beale… I love Rickman… he is a great actor… have you seen him in Quigley Down Under?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

BANNED
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Beale… I love Rickman… he is a great actor… have you see him in Quigley Down Under?
I thought that was Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under!

Originally Posted by Django
I thought that was Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under!
Quigley Down Under, like most films, has more than one actor. They're both in it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
As long as Costner doesn't try to do an accent, he should do all right. The man just cannot do a decent accent of any type to save his life. (Note both Robin Hood and [gaaaahhh] Thirteen Days.) ...shudder...

::adds Quigly Down Under to Netflix queue::

nice to hear some other people interested in this one. I'm definitely all about the western genre having a revival and Costner and Duvall can easily be the team to do it.

Caught a new ad for it on cable this morning. Looks good. They had that Glory music going which always gets my attention. Has a bit of an epic feel to it.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Beale… I love Rickman… he is a great actor… have you seen him in Quigley Down Under?
YES I HAVE! He is wonderful in that as well! I love Rickman.

A very underrated movie IMO.

(His performance in Robin Hood made that movie. Without it, I probably wouldn't have liked it. I didn't think Costner even tried to do an accent in Robin Hood...)

that Rickman photo is hilarious. Nice hat.

Dark Horizons posted a positive (if lengthy) review of the movie. Definitely makes me more interested in the movie.

This bit especially caught my eye:

No larger-than-life heroes. Here we have Costner and Robert Duvall playing characters (Charley Waite and “Boss” respectively) who while are the lead characters and virtually in every scene (either together or separate), the texture of the two does not overwhelm any other character. While “Open Range” is far from having the style of filmmaking that Italian Neorealism uses, it still takes consideration in showing mainly how characters fit in society, instead of them trying to show off cool tricks solely for entertainment purposes. Charley and Boss are basically two guys who have lots of morals and if they screw up, they know that they should try to improve on their mistakes. In fact, both Charley and Boss much different characters that you would expect.

As long as Costner doesn't try to do an accent, he should do all right.
Amen to that, and the other various comments that have been made about his accents... or the lack of same. Costner's voice kinda bugs me just in general, though: how can a man who makes his living as an actor be so... bland?

Ah, well. Judging from the trailer, it suits this role. And there are some fabulously cool lines in that trailer:

"Men are gonna die today, name-of-Bening's-character, and I'm gonna kill 'em."

God, I about wet my pants. Seriously. I love it. And Duvall in a Western is damn near always a good thing. I wasn't expecting to be so interested in this movie, but I'm there when it opens.

Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
God, I about wet my pants. Seriously. I love it. And Duvall in a Western is damn near always a good thing. I wasn't expecting to be so interested in this movie, but I'm there when it opens.
word. My friends are already talking about going over on Saturday afternoon to check it out. I think its going to be a very good movie. And Duvall is already getting Oscar buzz out of it. Not surprising. The man was born to play a cowboy.

I love a grand western as much as I love noir, and thats a lot. I definately plan on seeing this.

BANNED
I agree, this looks like Kevin Costner at his best again! Definitely plan on watching this when it is released!

wow, this opened at $14 mill. Thats really very impressive. Especially considering this is appealing to older audiences that don't always rush to theaters on opening weekend. I think OR has some definite legs. I"m already curious about what it'll do next weekend.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
(His performance in Robin Hood made that movie. Without it, I probably wouldn't have liked it.
I didn't like Robin Hood and only watched it for Rickman's performance.

I've only just heard of Open Range and am interested in seeing this for Duvall and Rickman. There definitely needs to be more westerns out there, my favourite so far being the Magnificent Seven and Tombstone.

Phenominal Western. Watch it if you have never seen it. I've watched this film about a dozen times over the years and it keeps getting better every time I see it. It's a very realistic Western just like Unforgiven.

I love Westerns but most are unrealistic in the portrayal of the violence and killings. It's a common myth people have about the Old West. People think it was this lawless and violent era when in fact it was quite the opposite. The average number of deaths due to murder in Western towns back then was just over 1 a year. In fact the most deaths due to murder in any Western town was only 5. Hell, the most infamous incident, the shootout at the OK Corral only had 3 deaths.

Watch Open Range. It's one of the 10 best Westerns of all-time. Costner and Duvall give excellent performances.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Gunny, I agree with you. This is an excellent western in so many ways. The gunfight was crafted so well, and the relationship between Costner and Duvall was unusual and original. Their dialogue was less "Hollywood" than most westerns.

People love to rag on Costner because of some of his films, but this is an excellent film and well directed.