Total Recall

Tools    

Dream or reality? So hard to figure out, although I tend to lean towards dream.

Reality because he kept having dreams of his former life before, tho its mighty coincidental that right before he did the spy agent recall he became a spy agent.

Ahhh... the genius of Verhoeven

The movie, I'm assuming we're on about the original with Arnie and Verhoeven, rather than the shockingly awful version with Colin and some no-talent hack director who I can't remember his name... the movie, can be taken both ways...

Look at when he goes to Recall... and he immediately goes nuts... the woman says it's impossible for him to be acting out the secret agent part of his ego trip, because it hasn't been implanted yet.
Now, makes you think, yeah, he really is a secret agent who had his mind wiped and Recall has incidentally unlocked something.
You could say though, that her saying it hasn't been implanted yet, is part of the Dream.

Also, Milena appears on the screen just as he's dozing off. Milena, at least her appearance, is a fabrication of Recall. She's the brunette, sleazy athletic woman he requested.

However, Milena appears, in his dream at the start of the movie. So did he just imagine Milena on the screen? Did the image on that screen actually look different, but what we saw on the screen was through his eyes?
Is Milena actually real though and he really is a secret agent with a locked mind? I mean, part of his subconscious might be making him dream of Milena, and then we see through his eyes a delusion on that screen of a real Milena.

Look at Lori when she appears on Mars. She's acting like the good wife as if she's been plugged into the dream as a way of bringing him back, but Doug blows her cover when Dr. Edgemar shows he is nervous.
Lori immediately becomes the femme fatale again. This femme fatale version of Lori, is part of the Dream. The real Lori has no idea he went to Recall.
Or, is Lori actually there at Recall, plugged into the dream trying to bring him back? Then, as Dr. Edgemar says, "kill me, and your only way out is gone".
The moment he kills Dr. Edgemar, Lori becomes that femme fatale... does that mean the actual Lori was ejected from the dream, and what stood in front of Doug then became the femme fatale version so as to keep the delusion going?

There's actually 3 ways to view the movie.
1. It's a Dream
2. He really is an Agent, and it was all real

3... He went to Recall, the whole thing was a Dream... and he is now actually lobotomised, living in a fabricated fantasy dream world based on the memory implant created by Recall, as Dr. Edgemar said would happen.

Yes, I mean the original. I could not stomach the reboot.

The movie, I'm assuming we're on about the original with Arnie and Verhoeven, rather than the shockingly awful version with Colin and some no-talent hack director who I can't remember his name... the movie, can be taken both ways...

Look at when he goes to Recall... and he immediately goes nuts... the woman says it's impossible for him to be acting out the secret agent part of his ego trip, because it hasn't been implanted yet.
Now, makes you think, yeah, he really is a secret agent who had his mind wiped and Recall has incidentally unlocked something.
You could say though, that her saying it hasn't been implanted yet, is part of the Dream.

Also, Milena appears on the screen just as he's dozing off. Milena, at least her appearance, is a fabrication of Recall. She's the brunette, sleazy athletic woman he requested.

However, Milena appears, in his dream at the start of the movie. So did he just imagine Milena on the screen? Did the image on that screen actually look different, but what we saw on the screen was through his eyes?
Is Milena actually real though and he really is a secret agent with a locked mind? I mean, part of his subconscious might be making him dream of Milena, and then we see through his eyes a delusion on that screen of a real Milena.

Look at Lori when she appears on Mars. She's acting like the good wife as if she's been plugged into the dream as a way of bringing him back, but Doug blows her cover when Dr. Edgemar shows he is nervous.
Lori immediately becomes the femme fatale again. This femme fatale version of Lori, is part of the Dream. The real Lori has no idea he went to Recall.
Or, is Lori actually there at Recall, plugged into the dream trying to bring him back? Then, as Dr. Edgemar says, "kill me, and your only way out is gone".
The moment he kills Dr. Edgemar, Lori becomes that femme fatale... does that mean the actual Lori was ejected from the dream, and what stood in front of Doug then became the femme fatale version so as to keep the delusion going?

1. It's a Dream

3... He went to Recall, the whole thing was a Dream... and he is now actually lobotomised, living in a fabricated fantasy dream world based on the memory implant created by Recall, as Dr. Edgemar said would happen.

I always seem to sway more toward #1 as I pointed out.

He went to Recall, the whole thing was a Dream created by the implant. At the end, he wakes up, and goes home to Lori.

Although sometimes #3 creeps into my mind... He went to Recall, the whole thing was a Dream created by the implant. At the end, he doesn't wake up, and in real life he is a vegetable, living in a fantasy world.

Very deep insight, I appreciate it. I lean towards its a dream though, and when the lab tech yells out she hasn't implanted him yet I believe to signify as the beginning of his dream. I must admit your point about the fact that he dreams of Milena before he even goes to Recall throws a monkey wrench in my theory. LOL So I guess I am back to square one.

1. It's a Dream

The whole movie is about perspective though.
Like, the view of Milena on the screen, might have been his imagination... based on the visions/dreams he had of her before. I mean, maybe Recall has no control exactly over how the people will look in his dream. He asked for brunette and athletic, but the rest of her appearance is simply down to his own imagination... and Milena in the implant dream, ends up looking like the brunette in that dream he had at the start of the film.

This is why Paul Verhoeven is my #1 director of all time.
I got a pile of his films in my top 100... and until only last week, my top 10 had 3 of his films in it.
I've still got RoboCop in my top 10 though

Verhoeven is a master at what he does.
Satire, and multi-layered storytelling.

all very awesome points, you mind telling me how to look up old threads?

I love Robo Cop, and at least they didnt hack the new one all to pieces as they did with total recall
This is why Paul Verhoeven is my #1 director of all time.
I got a pile of his films in my top 100... and until only last week, my top 10 had 3 of his films in it.
I've still got RoboCop in my top 10 though

Verhoeven is a master at what he does.
Satire, and multi-layered storytelling.

At the top of the page, you've got User CP, to the left of that is a drop box for your profile... to the left of that there's a Magnifying Glass.
Click that and a pop up box appear.

I love Robo Cop, and at least they didnt hack the new one all to pieces as they did with total recall

I hate the RoboCop remake.
With a passion. Even more so than the Recall remake.

okay, ty will try to find threads in realtion to my questions. I know I am gonna have some off the wall ones, remember I actually liked the first judge dredd, so you know somethings not right with me already lol
At the top of the page, you've got User CP, to the left of that is a drop box for your profile... to the left of that there's a Magnifying Glass.
Click that and a pop up box appear.

I walked out of the total recall reboot about 35 minutes into it.
I hate the RoboCop remake.
With a passion. Even more so than the Recall remake.

the only other movie I walked out of in my entire life was Bruno, but tghen again so did most of the other patrons,
I walked out of the total recall reboot about 35 minutes into it.

Welcome to the human race...
How relevant do you consider the scenes that take place after the failed implant scene yet do not feature Quaid himself in any capacity (for example, scenes where Richter and Cohaagen hold meetings in the latter's office)? For me, the fact that there are scenes without Quaid does play havoc with the idea that the whole thing is taking place entirely within his head.

wow, very impressive and detailed review, you probably hate the new one because you love the old one so much.Originals are very hard to compete with for that very reason, in most cases. I took a couple of your quizzes earlier, I have to admit that was fun.

How relevant do you consider the scenes that take place after the failed implant scene yet do not feature Quaid himself in any capacity (for example, scenes where Richter and Cohaagen hold meetings in the latter's office)? For me, the fact that there are scenes without Quaid does play havoc with the idea that the whole thing is taking place entirely within his head.
Very good point. Man maybe only God knows the answer to this one. But then again they could of just plugged those scenes in to give us context so that dougs dream made more sense to us

Maybe those scenes are simply part of the dream's plot as to why these guys are doing what they are doing.
There has to be a reason behind him being a secret agent, or the ego trip would simply be him fighting some guys. There has to be a story there.

Maybe, those scenes are being watched by Doug... like a movie... then, he's thrown into the action.

Or maybe those scenes are simply there, for our benefit... like, Doug knows the story, because it's being implanted and lived out in his head... and the rest of it, as in those scenes, are as case of nodding to the audience "if this was actually happening (real dream or real life), then this would take place at this juncture of the story"