Mojo Filter's Top 20 Female Solo Artists

Tools    

My last thread listed my Top 50 Male Solo Artists.

And now it's the ladies' turn. Only I have much less favorite female singers than male singers, because most of the music I listen to is done by men.

Here are my Top 20 Female Solo Artists...feel free to leave some feedback
20. PAULA ABDUL
Paula was never a great singer. At least that's what I've always thought. But her sweet dance moves, cool music videos, and catchy tunes made her one of my favorites in my early teens.

My favorite songs:
Knocked Out
The Way That You Love Me
Opposites Attract
Cold Hearted
Straight Up

19. TONI BRAXTON
In the 90's, there was a huge number of female R&B singers that dominated the airwaves and charts. One of the sexiest and most talented of them was Toni Braxton. It still stuns me she ended up fading away as quickly as she did by the turn of the millennium.

My favorite songs:
Another Sad Love Song
You Mean The World To Me
You're Making Me High
Unbreak My Heart
Breathe Again

18. NATALIE MERCHANT
In the mid-90's, Natalie Merchant had left her band, 10,000 Maniacs, and embarked on a solo career that resulted with some of my favorite songs from that decade. Sadly, she has since faded away.

My favorite songs:
Carnival
Jealousy
Kind & Generous
One Fine Day
Wonder

17. ANNIE LENNOX
Since leaving Eurythmics, Annie Lennox went solo in the 90's and made some amazing hit singles, and some of my favorite songs of that decade.

My favorite songs:
Why
Walking On Broken Glass
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
No More I Love You's

16. ARETHA FRANKLIN
I've always loved Aretha's voice. Although,I haven't dug deeper into her song catalog, the songs I am familiar with are some of my all-time favorites.

My favorite songs:
Think
Chain Of Fools
Freeway Of Love
Baby I Love You
Respect

15. JEWEL
The minute I heard Jewel sing for the first time in 1996, I was immediately taken by her distinctive voice, natural beauty, and song lyrics with deep meaning.

My favorite songs:
Hands
Foolish Games
You Were Meant For Me
Who Will Save Your Soul

14. STEVIE NICKS
Stevie Nicks was great when she was Fleetwood Mac, and had some really amazing songs as a solo artist. She ranks in the Top 5 female rock vocalists of all time.

My favorite songs:
Edge Of Seventeen
Leather And Lace
Stand Back
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around

13. TINA TURNER
Tina Turner has one of the best voices in music history. The songs she made, particularly in the 80's, hold up as some of the best songs ever recorded.

My favorite songs:
What's Love Got To Do With It
Better Be Good To Me
Private Dancer
We Don't Need Another Hero

I like the odd song here and there of some of these, but Paula Abdul is the only one I'd say I really enjoy.

I like the odd song here and there of some of these, but Paula Abdul is the only one I'd say I really enjoy.

What's so odd about them? They're just songs. Great ones, if you ask me.

I'm noticing I'm getting less and less feedback from MoFo's with these threads.

I've been working out regularly, almost daily, and have been consistent with a dietary regiment for the past 2 months. One thing this self-discipline technique has taught me was that perseverance and continuing to do what you enjoy no matter what the reaction, or lack of, from people is, is the key to reaching your personal happiness and aspiration.

In other words, the postings will continue. The lists will continue. And I'm only getting started

Sorry, I meant "the odd one" as in "the odd one or two", meaning I like a few here and there. No particular period or album, just a few here and there. I didn't really get into any of the others, so I only know a few songs and only like a few of those.

Keep on with the threads, though. I'm not really much of a music person anymore, so I often don't even bother with these threads but, on occasion, I give them a look.

Sorry, I meant "the odd one" as in "the odd one or two", meaning I like a few here and there. No particular period or album, just a few here and there. I didn't really get into any of the others, so I only know a few songs and only like a few of those.

Keep on with the threads, though. I'm not really much of a music person anymore, so I often don't even bother with these threads but, on occasion, I give them a look.

Thanks!

No offense taken, honeykid. You're cool

I'm working on Number 12 now, will be posted shortly...

12. KATY PERRY
Every generation has its pop queen. In my days, it was Madonna. For today's generation, there are quite a few, but the sexy and alluring Katy Perry stands out. Since she emerged, she has released some of the most infectious tunes, that even a rocker like myself can't pretend not to like.

My favorite songs:
Hot N' Cold
California Gurls
Roar
Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
Teenage Dream

11. MARIAH CAREY
I've been a listener of Mariah Carey's music since her debut in the early 90's. I saw her evolve into a major international superstar. It's safe to say she is one of the most incredible female singers of all time.

My favorite songs:
Make It Happen
Dreamlover
Anytime You Need A Friend
We Belong Together
Always Be My Baby

I loved Paula as a teen back in the 80's, it was a great time. I also agree with Tina, Stevie, Aretha, and Annie. I've heard of all the other girls but I'm not familiar with their music.

Most of these ladies have some great voices, but Jewel? Not so much. Also not a Katy Perry fan.

I halfway approve of Stevie Nicks. I used to be utterly obsessed with Fleetwood Mac (these days that obsession is pretty much limited to Lindsey Buckingham only) and thought Nicks was great. But then she released Trouble in Shangri La, which was awful and In Your Dreams which was even worse. I never bothered with 24 Karat Gold, on account of how terrible this song is:

Still her early solo work and Fleetwood Mac contributions are quite stellar. I also really love the Buckingham Nicks album, which you must check out if you haven't already.

10. TRACY CHAPMAN
Tracy Chapman's hits might be few, but the lasting impression she has made on me ever since I got exposed to her music in my late teens makes her one of the top female artists on my list. She's such an incredibly talented singer/songwriter.

My favorite songs:
Fast Car
Give Me One Reason
Baby Can I Hold You
Telling Stories
Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution

I have to admit that I've only repped Perry because she's really fit. I've heard some of her stuff and it's ok, though I can understand why so many don't like her/it.

I didn't even like Mariah Carey when she first appeared. All that stupid vocal gymnastics really grates. Whitney was bad enough, but I felt she often used it as an instrument and didn't over do it. Well, not at first, anyway. Whereas Mariah just OD'd on it from the start.