Sumantra Roy's Top 50 Films of All Time

→ in
Tools    

Initially thought of making a 200 films list or something, then kept on cutting down and it came down to around 50...I had to be completely certain about the films I include here...

will be posting 5 films each night and finish it up in 10.

50. The Thin Blue Line (1988) - Errol Morris

49. Cleo From 5 to 7 (1962) - Agnes Varda

48. Underground (1995) - Emir Kusturica

47. Nazarin (1959) - Luis Bunuel

46. Persona (1966) - Ingmar Bergman

Not seen any of the first batch.
Same. And I have only heard of two of them.

Anyways, I will be checking in on this. how about some quick thoughts on why they are on the list, at that particular spot, and so on?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've heard about 'em all.
Seen 2.
Wanna 3.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I thought The Thin Blue Line and Persona were very good, and I added Cleo From 5 to 7 to my watchlist after I saw your rating the other day.

Only heard of The Thin Blue Line and Persona, but haven't watched any of your first 5. Curious on what your next picks will be.

Cleo From 5 to 7 is very good. Varda is a very under-appreciated director and hopefully a movie or two of hers will make the 60s list.

I thought Underground was quite good but it lost me a bit through the middle. If it was an hour shorter it would be a masterpiece IMO. I liked Time of the Gypsies much more.

Persona is a masterpiece

Cleo From 5 to 7 is very good. Varda is a very under-appreciated director and hopefully a movie or two of hers will make the 60s list.

I thought Underground was quite good but it lost me a bit through the middle. If it was an hour shorter it would be a masterpiece IMO. I liked Time of the Gypsies much more.

Persona is a masterpiece
Cleo 5 to 7 should make the list...you are absolutely right about her being underrated...got shadowed by so many big male names (Cleo From 5 to 7 gives me the feeling that Varda was better than many of them) of the New Wave I guess...need to see more of hers...

If Underground was shorter it would have gone higher in my list but I still give it to Kusturica because it ended well...

45. Z (1969) - Costa Gavras

44. Mon Oncle (1958) - Jacques Tati

43. Samsara (2011) - Ron Fricke

42. American Beauty (1999) - Sam Mendes

41. Ivan's Childhood (1962) - Andrei Tarkovsky

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Two lesser films from two great directors in that set (Tati and Tarkovsky). I hope there's more of them to be seen later on this list

Two lesser films from two great directors in that set (Tati and Tarkovsky). I hope there's more of them to be seen later on this list
Don't think of the two as lesser films of Tarkovsky or Tati, for me they are their 2nd best films...yes, the 1st ones are yet to come...

Z is excellent. I'm not usually a big fan of political thrillers but that was probably the best I've seen.

Samsara was very good. I've seen a few of that style of "documentary" and generally enjoy them. Chris Marker's Sans Soleil is my favourite but it's a bit different due to the narration.

American Beauty was also very good. It will be interesting what type of movies Mendes continues to make because after seeing AB I thought he had a great future but I really disliked Skyfall.

Ivan's Childhood was decent. It looked beautiful but like many of Tarkovsky's films it just didn't really engage me. This is a problem I often have with Tarkovsky although I really liked Stalker and Andrei Rublev.

Samsara was very good. I've seen a few of that style of "documentary" and generally enjoy them. Chris Marker's Sans Soleil is my favourite but it's a bit different due to the narration.
Have you seen those Godfrey Reggio ones (Powaqqatsi or Koyaanisqatsi)?