American Sniper

Tools    

How intense does that look, wow. I love action when it is clear and tactical. This looks tremendous to me.

Make a better place
As much as I dislike Bradley Cooper I Admire Clint Eastwood, I just wish that movie is as good as I think it is

Yeah, I actually love the trailer. Not too sure how I will love the overall movie simply due to the fact that I am not much of a war movie guy, but I love the moral dilemma presented in the trailer. Heavy stuff.

Definitely watching this one.

I don't think the trailer is anything special at all. What are you all loving about it? However, the talent involved interests me.

War movie with Bradley Cooper?

I'll definitely be seeing this.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
It looks fun,I just hope it is not what I call "political" movie...You know what I mean...They say sniper remembers the face of everyone he killed.In my opinion its on of hardest if not the hardest job in military/police.

I love all movies that starred by Bradley Cooper

This has been on my list Of must-see films of 2014 since it was announced last year. Bradley Cooper is outstanding. Expect his 3rd Oscar nod 3 years in a row.

I saw this last night. I think whether or not you will enjoy this will depend on your own views and perspectives of the actions that it depicts. The movie is well directed and edited. Bradley Cooper does a nice job as Chris Kyle. The relationship that Kyle has with his wife, who is played by Sienna Miller, seems real and heartelt.

The battle scenes are particularly well done, and Eastwood doesn't shy away from showing the true horrors of war. The movie does a good job of immersing the viewer in what it feels like to be on the frontlines of battle. It also shows the soldiers who return home scarred, both psychologically as well as physically.

If you are looking for a relatively uncritical biopic of Chris Kyle, you'll like this movie. If, however, you are looking for a film which views Chris Kyle's actions with a critical eye, and probes the moral and ethical implications of being a sniper whose job it was to massacre so many people, you, like me, will be sorely disappointed. Beyond platitudes like God and country, I never knew what motivated Chris Kyle to do what he did, and the movie provides little to no context about the wars in which he fought.

It's hard for me to believe that this film, which depicts Chris Kyle as a hero, and calls the Iraqi people "savages" repeatedly, is made by the same man who made "Unforgiven" and "Letters from Iwo Jima." There is no attempt whatsoever to humanize the experiences of the Iraqis who fought in these battles. Everyone on the other side of the conflict is a caricature whose only purpose seems to be to be killed. There are few if any scenes of any Iraqi people who helped the American forces, or how it feels to have soldiers knock down the doors of innocent Iraqis by soliders searching for the enemy. There is no attempt to try to separate those who were truly evil from those who might have just been trying to reclaim their homeland from what they saw as a foreign invasion, or how it feels to go from being oppressed by one's leaders to being dehumanized by the men who they were told were coming to liberate their country. If you're looking for that, my recommendation would be for you to watch "Homeland," not "American Sniper."

This isn't a movie that questions or criticizes the use of violence, as "Unforgiven," "Mystic River," "Letters from Iwo Jima," and "Gran Torino" did. It's a movie that sees the actions of Chris Kyle as not only necessary but as heroic. The movie does depict how it feels to be a solider fighting in these conflicts, but it doesn't depict at all how it feels to be on the other side. I get why Taya Kyle is so happy with this movie. It depicts her husband as a hero and sees the men who he fought against as people who deserved to be killed. If that's what you're looking for, you'll get it in this movie.

Chris Kyle doesn't seem to be bothered by any of the actions that are depicted in this film. While that may have been true to life, and can be explained away on that basis, what is even more troubling is that none of the other people in the movie seem to be bothered by his actions either. One of his service members lightly questioned what they were doing, but he was perfunctorily dismissed, and convinced that it was time to go kill some more savages. I was deeply troubled by this, but perhaps the kind of intelligence that this line of reasoning requires is a luxury that those who are on the frontlines of battle simply either don't have or cannot afford. Someone who is prone to this type of probing probably wouldn't become a sniper in the first place.

Quite simply, rather than a probing character study, this movie is little more than propaganda. It is well made propaganda, but it is propaganda, and I expect more from the man who has spent the latter half of his career probing, questioning, and criticizing the use of violence in his films.

Man, this is one heck of a trailer.

Reminds me of The Hurt Locker

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I saw this last night. I think whether or not you will enjoy this will depend on your own views and perspectives of the actions that it depicts. The movie is well directed and edited. Bradley Cooper does a nice job as Chris Kyle. The relationship that Kyle has with his wife, who is played by Sienna Miller, seems real and heartelt.

The battle scenes are particularly well done, and Eastwood doesn't shy away from showing the true horrors of war. The movie does a good job of immersing the viewer in what it feels like to be on the frontlines of battle. It also shows the soldiers who return home scarred, both psychologically as well as physically.

If you are looking for a relatively uncritical biopic of Chris Kyle, you'll like this movie. If, however, you are looking for a film which views Chris Kyle's actions with a critical eye, and probes the moral and ethical implications of being a sniper whose job it was to massacre so many people, you, like me, will be sorely disappointed. Beyond platitudes like God and country, I never knew what motivated Chris Kyle to do what he did, and the movie provides little to no context about the wars in which he fought.

It's hard for me to believe that this film, which depicts Chris Kyle as a hero, and calls the Iraqi people "savages" repeatedly, is made by the same man who made "Unforgiven" and "Letters from Iwo Jima." There is no attempt whatsoever to humanize the experiences of the Iraqis who fought in these battles. Everyone on the other side of the conflict is a caricature whose only purpose seems to be to be killed. There are few if any scenes of any Iraqi people who helped the American forces, or how it feels to have soldiers knock down the doors of innocent Iraqis by soliders searching for the enemy. There is no attempt to try to separate those who were truly evil from those who might have just been trying to reclaim their homeland from what they saw as a foreign invasion, or how it feels to go from being oppressed by one's leaders to being dehumanized by the men who they were told were coming to liberate their country. If you're looking for that, my recommendation would be for you to watch "Homeland," not "American Sniper."

This isn't a movie that questions or criticizes the use of violence, as "Unforgiven," "Mystic River," "Letters from Iwo Jima," and "Gran Torino" did. It's a movie that sees the actions of Chris Kyle as not only necessary but as heroic. The movie does depict how it feels to be a solider fighting in these conflicts, but it doesn't depict at all how it feels to be on the other side. I get why Taya Kyle is so happy with this movie. It depicts her husband as a hero and sees the men who he fought against as people who deserved to be killed. If that's what you're looking for, you'll get it in this movie.

Chris Kyle doesn't seem to be bothered by any of the actions that are depicted in this film. While that may have been true to life, and can be explained away on that basis, what is even more troubling is that none of the other people in the movie seem to be bothered by his actions either. One of his service members lightly questioned what they were doing, but he was perfunctorily dismissed, and convinced that it was time to go kill some more savages. I was deeply troubled by this, but perhaps the kind of intelligence that this line of reasoning requires is a luxury that those who are on the frontlines of battle simply either don't have or cannot afford. Someone who is prone to this type of probing probably wouldn't become a sniper in the first place.

Quite simply, rather than a probing character study, this movie is little more than propaganda. It is well made propaganda, but it is propaganda, and I expect more from the man who has spent the latter half of his career probing, questioning, and criticizing the use of violence in his films.
Nice review! I was hoping for another Hurt Locker but looks like we got GI Joe instead.

Hallo dear nice reviews on the movie.

Master of My Domain
Nice review! I was hoping for another Hurt Locker but looks like we got GI Joe instead.
Ah the evil of trailers... oh well.