Philosophy Movies

Tools    

What movies do you recommend for a student of Philosophy? Preferably a little older, films from before 1980. Though please not limited to this...

I have seen The Matrix, Groundhog's Day, Inception, Minority Report, Eternal Sunshine OTSM, AI, Being John Malkovich.... And I love them all.

Anything from Tarkovsky specially Stalker.

In my philosophy class the teacher presented Pleasantville as an introduction to Sartre

Try Donnie Darko and also Fight Club. I know they're not before the 80's but good philosophy films nonetheless.
Fire walk with me.

Oh and the documentary "A Perverts Guide to Ideology" I haven't seen it all the way through because it's a little over my head but it analyses films and the ideology behind them.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Persona and Face to Face if you're looking for psychoanalysis.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

- Mamoru Oshii's films, specially this one:

Though nearly all of his films are heavily philosophical, perhaps the most explicitly pretentiously philosophical director I know. Other directors are more subtle.

- Tarkovsky's films (more subtle of course)

- Bela Tarr's films (this one is more like a blank space that the viewer can use to draw philosophical reflections rather than explicitly philosophical in terms of scrip)

- Stanley Kubrick's films (specially the aforementioned 2001, but Clockwork Orange and his war films are also heavily philosophical)

- Miyazaki (specially Nausicaa, Totoro, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke)

- Akira Kurosawa (Ikiru, Rashomon, Ran, Dreams)

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
- Bela Tarr's films (this one is more like a blank space that the viewer can use to draw philosophical reflections rather than explicitly philosophical in terms of scrip)
The Turin Horse is an extrapolated story based on the life of Nietzsche, not so much blank space as explicit reference and framework (though obviously Guap can't see this).