Coming to America (1988)

→ in
Tools    

It is very hard in my opinion to choose the greatest film ever made by Eddie Murphy. Back when he was making films like this, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places etc etc you could not stop him. I could honestly not tell you which is his best role out of the three I just mentioned but to be fair I am okay with that.

Coming to America is a very simple story of love. Akeem (Murphy) is the heir to the thrown of Zamunda who on his 21st birthday will meet his future wife for the first time. Akeem has had a very nice life, he has to do virtually nothing for himself including tying his own shoe laces (though from all accounts it is an overrated experience). In a moment of rebellion he advises he wishes to live the kingdom, his father puts this down to him wanting to sow his "royal oats" but Akeem has other plans.

CTA is a truly lovely film because it takes a very simple story but makes it a very funny and heart warming film. Everyone involved has a place and everyone on screen when they are on screen does a bang up job. It does show it's age in some scenes but to be fair that is okay and there is very much a class war going on including a father who just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

For me it is faultless. Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall put on the performances of their lives both playing four separate characters.

There are also some lovely moments including the King played by James Earl Jones when looking for Akeem "Do not alert him to my presence. I will deal with him myself" which is a lovely throw back to Star Wars. In another scene you see Murphy give money to two street bums who turn out to be Mortimer Duke & Randolph Duke of Trading Places.

As I say, I really cannot find fault in this, if there was one it would be there I feel there is to much swearing. I am not a prude by any means but the amount of F Bombs actually surprised me and I am just not sure they are needed.

My rarting: 10/10

That director is responsible for 4 of my 40 all time favorite movies. Coming to America isn't one of them, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. I know I at least liked it and I should probably give it another shot.

It is very hard in my opinion to choose the greatest film ever made by Eddie Murphy. Back when he was making films like this, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places etc etc you could not stop him. I could honestly not tell you which is his best role out of the three I just mentioned but to be fair I am okay with that.

Coming to America is a very simple story of love. Akeem (Murphy) is the heir to the thrown of Zamunda who on his 21st birthday will meet his future wife for the first time. Akeem has had a very nice life, he has to do virtually nothing for himself including tying his own shoe laces (though from all accounts it is an overrated experience). In a moment of rebellion he advises he wishes to live the kingdom, his father puts this down to him wanting to sow his "royal oats" but Akeem has other plans.

CTA is a truly lovely film because it takes a very simple story but makes it a very funny and heart warming film. Everyone involved has a place and everyone on screen when they are on screen does a bang up job. It does show it's age in some scenes but to be fair that is okay and there is very much a class war going on including a father who just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

For me it is faultless. Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall put on the performances of their lives both playing four separate characters.

There are also some lovely moments including the King played by James Earl Jones when looking for Akeem "Do not alert him to my presence. I will deal with him myself" which is a lovely throw back to Star Wars. In another scene you see Murphy give money to two street bums who turn out to be Mortimer Duke & Randolph Duke of Trading Places.

As I say, I really cannot find fault in this, if there was one it would be there I feel there is to much swearing. I am not a prude by any means but the amount of F Bombs actually surprised me and I am just not sure they are needed.

My rarting: 10/10
I didn't like this film as much as you did, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I think Murphy has done much better work. If you're interested, you will find my review of this film on my review thread.