Can someone critique my review of The Wind Rises?

→ in
Tools    

badmanbureau.com/2014/03/18/jiro-dreams-of-aeronautics-mark-reviews-the-wind-rises/

Over the past thirty years, Japanese master Hayao Miyazaki has supplied the world with an astounding and remarkably consistent stream of animated works. While magic and the supernatural are typically key elements of the stories he tells, Miyazaki’s latest feature (and supposed swan song) has the veteran 73-year-old director trying something new. The Wind Rises (2013), is a mostly fictionalized chronicling of the life of Jiro Horikoshi - a real-life aeronautical engineer who built fighter planes for the Axis powers during WWII. It’s an emotionally complex tale, beautifully told, that challenges the dichotomy perpetuated between imagination and practicality.

The movie begins with Jiro as a child. He stares into the sky and dreams that perhaps, one day, he’ll be able to build “beautiful planes” the way his idol, Italian engineer Giovanni Caproni, once did. The two communicate through colorful dream sequences that celebrate the beauty and importance of inspiration. The exchanges between Jiro and his “mentor” become increasingly poignant as the film progresses and the boy grows into a man. Although Jiro does come to build planes as an adult, the reality of his work is far removed from the wonder that he had envisioned. Jiro works not as an artist, but as an architect of death – his imagination numbed by the rigidity of everyday work life.

The film’s subtlety makes it all the more powerful, evoking a certain meditative feel. Thick with the director’s self-reference and personal philosophy, this movie could have easily crumbled under its own ambition. Thankfully, Miyazaki never beats you over the head with the message. He doesn’t employ his characters to tell the audience what to think or feel; rather, the viewer is allowed to journey and grow alongside the characters, learning as they do. It’s not made immediately clear that Jiro is working for the Axis powers – that he’d given up his dreams of creating beauty and settled on the “reasonable”. There’s no big reveal either. He’s a normal man working a job in a field he loves, just as many would hope to, but we quickly realize he’s lost sight of what really matters to him.

While perhaps Miyazaki’s most substantive work, it’s also arguably his least “fun”. The director has a penchant for strong lead characters and his films are often carried by their presence. The Wind Rises contains no witches, no dragons, no ghouls – and it seems the historicity of the subject causes the auteur to rein in some of his typical quirks. Jiro could be described as stoic… intelligent… quiet… and boring. You may connect with his struggle, but you won’t care about the person. It’s a respectful distance that feels a little too respectful.

This inability for the audience to connect is particularly troublesome when Jiro is hastily given a love interest three quarters of the way through the movie. Everything about their courtship violates the feel of the rest of the film. Unlike the character development that allows us to to draw our own conclusions, the only way the audience knows this pair is in love is because it’s articulated rather than demonstrated. Jiro is too dry a character to allow the audience to feel invested in the romance after such a short period of time.

The art is as gorgeous as you’d expect from a Studio Ghibli production; rich watercolors shade beautifully penned cities and planes. The oceans and grass are particularly stunning – even hypnotic.

While Miyazaki’s first attempt at the (faux-)biopic may not possess the more explicitly fantastical elements that have defined his past works, the man’s legendary imagination shines through just the same. Though perhaps not the classic it could have been, the profundity of the film’s message and the beauty of the story telling make it well worth watching.

7.75/10

or

4/5

It's a little bit easier to read through the link (there are pictures to break up the action and all that). Still super new/trying to get better, so i'd love any feedback I could get.

Yep, but those two things are not mutually exclusive. Some reviews invite discussion about the film, and some invite discussion about the review.

Anyway, the The Wind Rises has yet to receive a wide release in the US or UK, so most of the people here probably haven't seen it, and therefore don't have a lot to compare this to yet.

Yep, but those two things are not mutually exclusive. Some reviews invite discussion about the film, and some invite discussion about the review.

Anyway, the The Wind Rises has yet to receive a wide release in the US or UK, so most of the people here probably haven't seen it, and therefore don't have a lot to compare this to yet.
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive either.

I don't see that it's ever hitting wide release in the US, but it was a limited release in late February.

anyone seen this?
I have and for that reason I have to disagree with the overall rating of this review. I can honestly say that the Wind Rises is not only my favorite movie from Studio Ghibli, but possibly my favorite animated movie of all time. I thought the characters were great, the acting was excellent, the animation was beautiful and the story was something to really be admired. I thought it was excellent how it had so many aspects of previous films from the studio in it. As I watched I could point out parts where it made me think of Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo and a few films as well. I was simply in heaven the whole time I was sitting there watching it. Perhaps it was the experience more than anything, but I could not take anything away from this movie because whatever little flaws it had, there too many great moments to make up for them. I might be overselling it but I can't help it. I enjoyed the film too much to agree that it doesn't even merit an 8 out of 10. I would give it a perfect score.

I have and for that reason I have to disagree with the overall rating of this review. I can honestly say that the Wind Rises is not only my favorite movie from Studio Ghibli, but possibly my favorite animated movie of all time. I thought the characters were great, the acting was excellent, the animation was beautiful and the story was something to really be admired. I thought it was excellent how it had so many aspects of previous films from the studio in it. As I watched I could point out parts where it made me think of Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo and a few films as well. I was simply in heaven the whole time I was sitting there watching it. Perhaps it was the experience more than anything, but I could not take anything away from this movie because whatever little flaws it had, there too many great moments to make up for them. I might be overselling it but I can't help it. I enjoyed the film too much to agree that it doesn't even merit an 8 out of 10. I would give it a perfect score.
Can definitely see what would make people feel that way. There's a lot to reflect on here/a ton done well. But obviously there were a few things that I did dislike that I mentioned there. Liked it more than a number of Miyazaki's other works.

I still have to see this film, but I will see it as soon as I have acces to it. I'm curious, though: how would you rank Miyazaki's other films?

I still have to see this film, but I will see it as soon as I have acces to it. I'm curious, though: how would you rank Miyazaki's other films?
these are all the ones i've seen. know i still need to catch totoro.

8.Kiki's Delivery Service
7.Ponyo
6.Howl's Moving Castle
5.The Wind Rises
4.Porco Rosso
3.Spirited Away
2.Castle in the Sky
1.Princess Mononoke

Hope that gives some perspective

these are all the ones i've seen. know i still need to catch totoro.

8.Kiki's Delivery Service
7.Ponyo
6.Howl's Moving Castle
5.The Wind Rises
4.Porco Rosso
3.Spirited Away
2.Castle in the Sky
1.Princess Mononoke

Hope that gives some perspective
Your opinion of Miyazaki greatly differs from mine. If anything, Princess Mononoke would be near my lowest point for the entire studio, not even Miyazaki himself. Porco and Kiki are near my highest. In fact here is my list of his films:

9. Princess Mononoke
8. Spirited Away
7. Ponyo
6. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Howl's Moving Castle
4. Castle in the Sky
3. Porco Rosso
2. Kiki's Delivery Service
1.The Wind Rises
I suppose technically I could put Nausicaa, and Lupin on there, but one was made before the studio was founded and the other one was made without being directly considered a Ghibli film. I feel like I'm missing one other one though. Maybe because how tired I am.

@Repentant: You forgot to list Kiki's Delivery Service.

I rank his films like this:

1. Spirited Away
2. My Neighbor Totoro
3. Porco Rosso
4. Kiki's Delivery Service
5. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
6. Princess Mononoke
7. Ponyo
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. Castle in the Sky

The top 3 films are real favorites of mine. All of them are decent films. I still have to see The Wind Rises and The Castle of Cagliostro.

Oh yeah, a masterpiece. It's the best movie of the last 10 years. Yeah, I am a bit of a fanboy of Miyazaki's work.

His work touches me on a extremely deep visceral level and to a greater degree than the work of any other artist that I know. I don't know how he does it, but anything he does appears to have a magic flavor that makes it enormously powerful and memorable, something to comes out from heaven and touches my soul in the same way that the soul of a priest is touched by God. He personally said that his work is meant to evoke extremely strong emotions (he said it is to make teenagers boy cry on their beds after watching any of his films) and himself is said to spontaneously drop tears when working on his office.

I have watched all Miyazaki's films more than 4 times and I am familiar with his other works in the medium of TV and graphic literature and I rank Miyazaki's major works as follows (with ratings):

1 - Nausicaa Manga (generally regarded to be his masterpiece, a must for any fan of his work, it's my favorite work of art of all time)

2 - Nausicaa film

3 - My Neighbor Totoro

4 - Princess Mononoke

5 - Spirited Away

6 - Wind Rises

7 - Conan: Boy of the Future (TV series)

8 - Porco Rosso

9 - Castle in the Sky

10 - Kiki's Delivery Service

11 - Howl's Moving Castle

12 - Castle of Gagliostro
+
13 - Ponyo

I rate his worst movie higher than over 95% of all movies I ever watched, by the way.

This is my favorite review of The Wind Rises:

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2014/0...-on-hayao.html

Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
What are my thoughts on Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises? A jumble of conflicting thoughts and feelings. Powerful. Inspiring. Masterpiece. Verklempt. I have viewed this movie twice, in Japanese and US soundtracks, and on both occasions was overwhelmed. This is a beautiful, deeply haunting film; its heaviness grips my heart and mind, the images soar and sing. There is so much to absorb that you need time to process it all.

The Wind Rises is not a fast or frenetic film; it has a patience and speed that contrasts greatly with the action-adventure serials that defined Miyazaki's youth. But this movie is emotionally overpowering; its images have a sweeping grandeur, like the great surrealist and expressionist painters. Its mood is one of reflection, observation, sadness. It's final message - "The wind is rising, We must live! - is not a message of optimism, but perseverance. It is a celebration of the imagination and the redemptive power of art.

Officially, The Wind Rises is an historical biography, adapted from a fictional memoir about the life of Japanese airplane engineer and designer Jiro Horikoshi, which was then adapted by Hayao Miyazaki into a 2009 graphic novel. The movie tells the tale of Horikoshi's life in the early 20th Century, witnessing the Great Kanto Earthquake and two World Wars, and his haunted dreams of creating wonderful flying machines. That's the "official" explanation; but I also see a parallel story that is deeply auto-biographical: Hayao Miyazaki's own life, his childhood, his passions and dreams. Everything is presented with a surreal Fellini flair; characters, moments and histories play out like Jungian archetypes. The Wind Rises plays like a series of extended lucid dreams in the director's own mind.

There are times when I am watching the young Jiro Horikoshi, and I am convinced that I am seeing Miyazaki as a child, frustrated by his eyesight and dreaming of airplanes. At other moments, Miyazaki's voice inhabits that of Marconi, the Italian airplane engineer who serves as spirit guide and Greek Chorus. At yet other moments, it is the Mitsubishi boss Kurokawa who emerges as Miyazaki, the stern and demanding Ghibli studio boss. Miyazaki the Elder dispenses wisdom to Miyazaki the Younger, guiding and warning in equal measure.

In one scene, Kurokawa informs Jiro that he has won the job of designing an experimental aircraft. Yuri replies that he wants his childhood friend, and fellow engineer, on the project. Kurokawa flatly refuses with a telling lesson: Never work on projects with your friends; you'll only become rivals. It is impossible for me not to think of Hayao Miyazaki's long partnership with director Isao Takahata, which began at the Toei Doga studio and ended at Studio Ghibli. Theirs is very much like a McCartney-Lennon relationship, before and after the Beatles breakup.

The twin biographies of Horikoshi and Miyazaki flow and intertwine. Miyazaki obsessed about airplanes practically since his birth. Giovanni Caproni was a childhood hero; indeed, "Ghibli" was named after one of his airplanes. As a professional animator, he and his peers struggled with a sense of inadequacy, of being "20 years behind," of needing to learn the craft the rest of the world mastered. They yearned for the respect of the world, which looked down upon them as primitive. Could this have been a driving force that led to the creation of The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun in 1968? Perhaps. And let us not forget that the young Miyazaki, on his first European trip, met author Astrid Lindgren in hopes of collaborating on the Pipi Longstockings anime. The project was cooly rejected, dismissed. This parallels the cold reception received by Horikoshi and his fellow Japanese designers on their encounter with Germany's modern, technologically advanced airplanes.

And, of course, the film's heroine Naoko serves as a parallel for Miyazaki's eternal romantic muse, his wife Akemi Ota. She was also the inspiration for the heroines in Sherlock Hound, Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo; once again, there is tension between her art and his career, but this time tempered by a personal tragedy that parallels Jiro's professional tragedy. He is doomed to lose everything and everyone he holds dear. He is destined to walk among the gravestones of his dreams.

II.

There is a way that Miyazaki often draws his characters when they are alone, and we see it here with the child Juri at the beginning. He is frustrated by his poor eyesight, fearing that his thick glasses will mean the end of his dreams of flying aircraft. He face appears thoughtful, but grim; the line on his mouth is curved ever so slightly downward. I've seen this face on other Miyazaki characters before, particularly Nausicaa, his great heroine; Satsuki, the older sister from My Neighbor Totoro; Shizuku, the teenage heroine from Mimi wo Sumaseba. I think that deep sadness gets to the heart of Miyazaki and his work of the Studio Ghibli era. He is an artist who struggles, fights, perseveres, survives.

Above all else, two tragedies traumatized, and defined, Hayao Miyazaki at a young age. The first was the devastation of the Second World War, the destruction of his homeland, and the difficult aftermath. Apocalyptic visions of doom permeate his work, so much that we almost take it for granted. "The Wind is Rising" - inspiration and destruction in equal measure.

The second great trauma for Miyazaki was his mother's decade-long battle with tuberculosis. Her long illness against the disease emerged as a major story thread in My Neighbor Totoro, and the latter chapters of the Nausicaa graphic novel, which lays the artist's emotions bare. I have often wondered if his mother's death in 1981, along with professional decline at that period (in the early 1980s, his animation career was all but finished), was the catalyst behind Miyazaki's gloomier, more complex tone that emerged in the 1984 Nausicaa film. The second half of his career is defined as more personal, more probing. The first half...well, there's quite a difference between Nausicaa and Animal Treasure Island, wouldn't you say?

The Wind Rises is Miyazaki's most personal, almost confessional work, a fusion of Kurosawa and Fellini; of despair and survivor's guilt; of respect for, and abhorrence against, his home country; of romanticism and innocence; of the love for his wife and passion for his art; and an abiding awareness of what that ambition has cost his family. A vast emotional palette is on display, but balanced by the wisdom of age. Astonishment and sorrow are presented in equal measure, with a calm acceptance.

In this vein lies the relationship between Jiro and Naoko. Their courtship is freely playful, innocent. Theirs is a romance right out of 1940s Hollywood; one of my favorite scenes shows them playing with a paper airplane, made by Jiro, that freely morphs into a small bird and back again (Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro are quoted here). But once marriage is proposed, Naoko reveals that she is stricken with tuberculosis, a death sentence in 1930s Japan. Their relationship suddenly takes an ephemeral turn; as her health declines, every moment becomes precious. Moments of beauty are cherished but suffering and loss must be endured.

The moment when Naoko collapses in a lung hemorrhage, coughing blood on her painting, carries a devastating power. It shocks you to the core, and you immediately feel it in your gut. You know how this gentle wife's story will end. It is here that Miyazaki intertwines the couple's passions and tragedies - his professional dreams, her art and freedom and illness, their marriage. What happens in one sphere is symbolically linked to the other. Naoko's quiet resistance, her peaceful defiance of her fate, her dreams of living a normal life - these are her cursed dreams.

For me, the film's most powerful moment is not the terrifying Kanto Earthquake, but the quiet scene where Jiro and Naoko are married at the Kurokawa residence. Naoko's presence, in glorious traditional dress, is almost ghost-like. She floats above the ground, her hair flowing, the red of her kimono glowing. And her face is one of tremendous sadness, gratitude, and acceptance. Hers is the face of a young person who knows they will die young, and every second becomes miraculous. Kurokawa recites the vows, pronounces the young couple married, then fights back his tears, overwhelmed. Verklempt.

III.

In one early scene, the boy Jiro sees a small child being threatened by larger bullies. He immediately rushes to the rescue, and we are shown his courage and virtue. As an adult, the scenario echoes: a young man runs through nighttime streets, pursued by the Gestapo, who snarl and bark as they run. This time, Jiro stands still, motionless. He does not intervene.

Jiro Horikoshi's career presents a moral paradox that is central to The Wind Rises: In order to pursue his dream of creating beautiful flying machines, he must create warplanes that will kill. His Zero Fighter will be remembered for Pearl Harbor, the Pacific War, the Kamikaze divers. Miyazaki makes his moral stance clear, not only against the war, but Japan's slide into fascism and total destruction. But how does Jiro feel? Does he sufficiently rebel against this madness? Does he fight harder against this momentum to war? Does he stand up to the bullies and defend the innocent?

"Airplanes are cursed dreams," Caproni intones, and throughout his life, Jiro's dreams of flight are corrupted by nightmares of war, death, destruction. Planes are smashed to pieces. Cities are bombed and set ablaze. Yet he chooses to create, despite these prophesies; he chooses to live in "a world with pyramids." It is uncertain how much guilt he feels, or how much responsibility he accepts, for his actions. His struggle to preserve beauty in the face of tragedy is a quiet, internal one. This has proven challenging for some American viewers.

I personally find this makes the character of Jiro Horikoshi more nuanced, more complex. Heroes in American movies, and especially American animated films, are expected to be perfectly virtuous and absolutely good. Real life doesn't quite work that way, and neither does Hayao Miyazaki. His characters, just like Isao Takahata's characters, are allowed the freedom to be flawed, to make mistakes. And you are allowed the freedom to criticize their actions. The question of the war is one of The Wind Rises' central themes, just as it is a central theme in Hayao Miyazaki's life. What's fascinating is how he keenly identifies Japan's sense of insecurity, their fear of becoming lost to modernity, as the root cause that leads to empire and war. The airplane engineers are seduced by Germany's industrial strength, their modern technology, their metallic planes, and desperately feel the need to catch up. And so Japan embarks on grand dreams of military might, and the questions are asked: "Who will be the target of all these bombers? Against whom will you wage war? The answer, almost carelessly: "Everyone. Maybe China, maybe America."

I don't put Jiro into this class; he's a true artist who is only concerned with creation, not destruction. And so he forges forward, not wishing to design warplanes but doing so anyway. Could he have chosen differently? Could he have resisted the war machine? Could he have turned the irrational march toward war and destruction? And is it fair to put such burdens on his shoulders? All are debatable points; none are easily resolved.

IV.

Obviously, we cannot discuss The Wind Rises without singing its praises as an animated film. This movie looks absolutely spectacular, a new high-water mark for Japanese animation. Given the film's enormous budget by Japanese standards ($50 million, five times as much as 1997's Princess Mononoke), we never see another anime film so positively lush, so immaculately detailed, so thrillingly alive. Every corner of the screen is animated with grass, flowers, trees, clouds, men and airplanes.

The Caproni dream sequences allow Miyazaki to indulge his surrealist side, and has truly become a master of the form - the Fellini of our age. His flying machines are bird-machine hybrids, with feather wings and engines that pulse like heart beats. Enormous flying craft are packed with jovial, celebrating families, stretching and bulging the frames. Caproni's planes are an endless, enormous party. It's impossible to not become intoxicated by his visions. Such a world would be glorious.

The Kanto Earthquake sequence is rendered in spectacular, animist fashion, rumbling and groaning, as though the earth itself were swallowing you whole. A silent ripple underneath the city explodes into galloping hills, collapsing buildings, burning everything in sight. Entire streets are swallowed whole, rooftops ripple and disintegrate. And as sudden as it begins, the quaking stops. All that is seen are bewildered faces, rubble, smoke and fire. Aftershocks emerge and vanish without warning. These scenes are clearly inspired by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake, and no doubt many seats in Japanese theaters were squirming uncomfortably in their seats.

As always, the amount of technical detail in the artwork is astonishing. It is a Ghibli trademark that is unmatched anywhere in the world. One of my favorite scenes involves Jiro newly at his desk, opening his papers, working with his slide rule. His movements are astonishingly smooth, and the detail on his instruments so sharp and detailed, you could actually perform real work. The Wind Rises is filled with such moments, of getting into the marrow of hard work, of showing you the equations and sketches and rivets and wings. This is one of the great movies about the craftsmanship of creating art. I can share that admiration as I battle endless through this very film essay. It's a battle to create something, a struggle, and it's also a process of discovery.

Miyazaki paints with an enormous canvas; there are many wide panning shots and long takes, many wonderful visas of cloud-filled skies and gigantic hangers and dense forests. And throughout it all, the winds blow. Japanese animators have an intimate understanding of nature that simply does not exist here in the West. They understand the nature of wind and water and soil as living things, as persons themselves. It is impossible to inhabit these woods, hills and mountains, and not feel overwhelmed by the sheer beauty. The moments of terror and tragedy make the peaceful moments all the more miraculous. It's as though the beauty of the world is paid with the cost of human suffering.

I can continue this discussion indefinitely. There's just so much to admire, to reflect upon, to talk about. We haven't even come to the German businessman, voiced by the great Werner Herzog in a scene-stealing performance. We haven't mentioned many characters like Jiro's sister and childhood friend. We haven't talked about that magnificent closing song. We have yet to get into the countless number of riffs and allusions to Hayao Miyazaki's entire career.

And, most of all, we haven't talked about the question of Miyazaki's retirement. Nobody wants to believe this master of cinema could retire from directing feature films, just when he has reached a new artistic peak. The Wind Rises is an absolute masterpiece, like Fellini's Amacord and Akira Kurosawa's Madadayo and The Beatles' Abbey Road mashed together. Yes, this is a movie about goodbyes and final messages, of lessons learned, achievements honored, tragedies forgiven. What more is left to be said? What new insights and messages from a 50-year career (a career that, to this day, remains largely unknown to American audiences) have yet to be shared? And so it is best to walk away, to try to live. And the wind cries. Verklempt.
Whoa, Miyazaki used Werner Herzog and Hideaki Anno as his voice actors. Also, a technical correction: Princess Mononoke budget's was 30 million dollars, converted to inflation, so this film's budget is less than twice Princess Mononoke. Indeed, it used 250,000 frames, compared to Princess Mononoke 144,000 frames and Akira's 160,000 frames.

Clearly you are a much bigger fan of Ghibli than I profess to be. I don't think I'd ever read a review that long, never mind posting one of that length. Everything getting a perfect 5 except the last two you posted also seems like kind of a stretch to me, but I can see how someone would think that.