Prometheus vs Aliens

Tools    

When rumours hit that a new Alien film was due to come out many people including myself said that a few things needed to happen:

1. It had to be a prequel
2. It had to be done by Ridley Scott
3. It had to expand on what we already knew or what we thought we knew

For me Prometheus ticked all those boxes. I really enjoyed it. It didn't answer all of my questions but it did fill in some of the blanks for me.

What I am interested in though is for you which was better? The Prequel or the Sequel? Which made more sense in the alien world and why?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I also enjoyed this movie,I watched Alien(didn't find it that great) and Aliens(good movie) but Prometheus is for me a lot better than Alien and we can talk is it better than Aliens,that is how I see it,I know a lot of guys don't have same opinion but yea...I think it is a prequel,first and only thing that needs to be said,it shows creation sooo...

I said in my reviews... I totally got what Prometheus was and what it was doing... a side story with scientific research as the main thing.

But it felt too futuristic compared to the dirty grimy future depicted in the first 3 films.

Prometheus was set before the original films, yet looked more futuristic.
Star Wars Prequels Syndrome.

But yeah, I still loved the direction Scott is taking the franchise on the side story... but Aliens beats Prometheus hands down.

I understand what you saying Rodent but I think the Prometheus does not even deserve to be discussed in the same sentence as the Star Wars prequels. I can't really say why but to me the SW episodes just tried to hard to create a story no-one cared about but with Prom it made people interested in what happened before.

I do agree it was too futuristic and a lot of others said the same, they had all this tech but in the original the make flame throwers from basic tools, which is, well odd.

And no Sci-Fi! I will not admit it was crap

I meant in the way that the filmmakers went too reliant on tech and greenscreens to make the film.

If they'd toned down the use of modern technology and computers, Prometheus would at least have some sort of physical resemblance to the original films and make it seem more connected.

I meant in the way that the filmmakers went too reliant on tech and greenscreens to make the film.

If they'd toned down the use of modern technology and computers, Prometheus would at least have some sort of physical resemblance to the original films and make it seem more connected.
That does make sense I agree. I saw the SW films over Christmas and they looked so out dated and badly done considering they were less than twenty years old was just depressing.

Just admit Prometheus is crap, that will redeem you, at least in my eyes.
Redeem?Really?This movie is awesome in some eyes(me) and crap for others(you) but I don't go around asking you to redeem yourself because you think it is bad.Movie had flaws but in the end I enjoyed it,main problems for people are only because they didn't understand some stuff...Rodent had good arguments can't really argue with that,but it didn't effect me as much as him.Prometheus is really good movie for me,good story,plot,dialog,acting...

Redeem?Really?This movie is awesome in some eyes(me) and crap for others(you) but I don't go around asking you to redeem yourself because you think it is bad.
Note that I put this after my previous statement --->.

Which would usually indicate one of the following:

noun: banter
  1. 1.
    the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.
    "there was much good-natured banter"
    synonyms:repartee, raillery, ripostes, sallies, swordplay, quips, wisecracks, crosstalk, wordplay; Morebadinage, witty conversation, witty remarks, witticism(s), joking, jesting, jocularity, drollery;
    bons mots;
    informalkidding, ribbing, joshing;
    rarepersiflage
    "a brief exchange of harmless banter"
noun: humour

the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
"his tales are full of humour"

synonyms:comical aspect, comic side, funny side, comedy, funniness, hilarity, jocularity; More

Aliens is pretty basic, fear of strong, hostile creatures with intelligence. It's hard to lose with that premise.

I was somewhat disappointed in Prometheus. It was OK and I enjoyed it, but I realized that it was an extra-terrestrial take on Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, a seminal horror/sci-fi story by the master. Unfortunately, while Prometheus was good, I didn't think it was nearly as good as Madness could have been. Unfortunately Madness won't be made any time soon. Guillermo Del Toro had been trying to get support to make the movie, but with the plot similarities, Cameron's movie sucked all the $$ out of Hollywood for that plot line and Del Toro had to abandon Madness. Madness plot elements have shown up in a bunch of movies with Antarctic plots, but, like almost all of Lovecraft there have never been good adaptations (with the possible exception of the 2005 silent Call of Cthulhu).

http://whatculture.com/film/has-prom...of-madness.php

Well,I find Prometheus at same level as Alien maybe better but just a little bit worse than Aliens...I really can't see what was so epic and great about Alien,maybe if I watched it when it was made...Prometheus had a story,and good one.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Alien is superior to Aliens and Prometheus. I don't understand how this can even be argued. Prometheus as Guap said is competent. It works, but its far from great because of the idiotic stock characters,lack of narrative logic and not living up to it's full potential.

Alien is superior to Aliens and Prometheus. I don't understand how this can even be argued. Prometheus as Guap said is competent. It works, but its far from great because of the idiotic stock characters,lack of narrative logic and not living up to it's full potential.
agree. i say the gap between Alien and Aliens is bigger than the gap between Aliens and Prometheus... not sure if that's making coherent sense so i'll put it like this. (in my opinion) Alien >> Aliens > Prometheus

although it really just comes down to what you're looking for. if you're looking for an easily accessible action-packed thrill ride, you will probably like Aliens most. if you're looking for a more atmospheric and 'purist' sci-fi type flick that allows room for imagination, contemplation, etc... you will probably go with Alien

although Alien is more accessible when compared to movies like 2001 and Solaris (1972)

Aliens obviously, which I consider to be just as good as Alien. Prometheus sucked.