The Raid 2!

Tools    

Any fans of The Raid here? the sequel is out at the end of March and i literally can't wait.

The Raid is the best action movie I have seen in recent years. What do people think about it?

Gareth Evans is a genius. His somehow makes the chaos of a fight scene seem like a muscly ballet. can't wait to see what he comes up with with a bigger budget.

Oh wow... so they plagiarised that...

... and they plagiarised Dredd's script too for the first The Raid film too...

Dredd's script was written in 2008, leaked online a little while later and plagiarised into The Raid...

Ok... Garland began writing Dredd in 2006 while post production on Sunshine was still going on and completed the first draft in 2006 when he was also working on 28 Weeks Later... Dredd was filmed in 2011 but wasn't released until 2012 because of lack of studio funding.

The script for Dredd was leaked online in 2009 and culminated in plagiarism by The Raid in 2011 and then they released The Raid in 2011.

Shootout At Lokhandwala was written in 2006 and released in 2007 but was based on a true story that took place in 1991 in Lokhandwala.

2006: Dredd's script is written and completed
2006: Shootout In Lokhandwala's script was written and complete based on the true story that happened in 1991.
2007: Shootout At Lokhandwala is released.
2009: Dredd's script is leaked.
2011: The Raid gets written, goes into production and is released in cinemas. Probably a record time for any film to go from writing stage to cinematic release.
2011: Dredd is filmed.
2012: Dredd is released. Took a year to get e release due to low budget.

Can you link to something about direct plagiarism - I can't find any details. I don't doubt the idea was misappropriated from somewhere but beyond that I thought The Raid & Dredd were very different movies. Maybe I'm forgetting specific scenes. It seems more likely from what I've read that the idea was taken from Shootout ... rather than Dredd anyway.

It's all over the net.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/faq

Just type in Dredd The Raid into google.

I've got info from many a site about production times etc... by the look of it, The Raid ripped off both films by taking elements of each one.

Shootout was based on a true story though.

But IMDB has a quote from Garland:

"Honestly, I really don't believe that The Raid ripped off Dredd. And we didn't rip them off either. The timing doesn't allow for it - not that time-based logic has stopped many film journalists from suggesting that we stole their material"

There's lots of stuff but is there something definite? You said "admitted plagiarism" which I agree would be a very serious issue.

I've scoured the net... and this'll make me look like a right plonker, but I can't find the site where and interview with Gareth Evans when he said they adjusted Dredd's script to get The Raid.

No worries. It's an interesting topic. I saw The Raid first and liked it a lot - then I saw Dredd and thought "well, that's a bit odd" but wasn't really bothered. What you have said probably does make me appreciate Dredd a bit more.

I'm just a fan of Dredd ... and finding what I've found makes me hate The Raid even more.
Even though it may be plagiarised it doesn't make it any less of an enjoyable movie. I knew the concept wasn't original anyway and personally I found Dredd and The Raid two completely different movies. The Raid was the better movie in my opinion but I was pleasantly surprised by how good Dredd was too.