The Bridges of Madison County (revisited)

→ in
Tools    

The setting of this movie is rural Iowa (USA) in 1965 (Hippies,Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Struggle). Clint E. assumes the role as a photographer and Meryl S. is an immigrant from Italy who married a serviceman and returned with him to the family farm. Like a great American Baseball Pitcher, Clint changes his pitch and shrugs of his Dirty Harry typecast and delivers an excellent performance. The script is excellent and totally convincing.Meryl S. meets Clint at her farm when he became lost. Merl S. might as well have hanged a sign around her neck "Make Love to Me". It was love at first sight and one can sense that she is frustrated and lonely. She likes classical music and jazz. But typical in any adulterous affair is the decision; do I leave my family and security for a man that I have only known for two days? The movies is excellent and surely a tear jerker. To paraphrase an old saying, "life is a bitch and then you die". You sense that when you see her husband dying.

P.S. - the book, on which this movie is based, is HORRIBLE! I actually like what the screenwriter and Eastwood did to it when adapting it for a feature film. But The Bridges of Madison County is one of the worst books I have ever read.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Am I the only person on the planet who was bored to death by this movie...I can't believe Streep actually got an oscar nomination for it, it must have been a REALLY slow year for Lead Actress performances.