Edward Scissorhands

Tools    

I want to discuss this film a bit if no one minds. If you do mind, I'm doing it anyways.

I think Edward Scissorhands is quite the brilliant epic disguised within Burton's trademark campy and dark circus. I am particularly interested in two aspects of the story. The cause and effect, the action/reaction, the synergistic collision of dark and light and the later juxtaposition of exactly that.

Let's start with the town. We are presented with a light, bright and very colorful suburb filled with happy people milling about. In the distance is the dark and brooding castle of the inventor who is responsible for giving Edward life. As expected we are to take the town as the representation of good, overshadowed by the specter of this gloomy and evil castle that houses Edward himself. In the early scenes, we are introduced to the inventor (Vincent Price) who demonstrates great love for his creation, Edward. Conversely, in the town, the central character is a door to door sales person who is treated quite shabbily by her fellow townsfolk.

As the story progresses, a sequence of events occurs that places Edward into the heart of the town and into the spotlight. In my own very humble opinion, this is such a brilliant twist. We come to understand that Edward, despite his outward appearance, is innocent and loving and has an absolute heart of gold. He demonstrates love and compassion for every character he is introduced to. He is completely unspoiled by the sense of 'self' that is inherent in man, and that is demonstrated in return to Edward.

Also inherent in man, is the instinct to show compassion and love through our touch. By his very design, Edward, the most loving of all, is denied this most basic ability to express his heart. He brings unintentional harm to almost everyone he touches, though his will and need is to show compassion.

As in the story of Frankenstein, the masses eventually turn against poor Edward and drive him away. We see the face of hate and loathing not in the place that it is expected but from the happy and shiny people. I found this juxtaposition of dark=good, light=evil to be very effective and heartwrenching at the same time. Look about you and see how often you see this kind of thing on a daily basis, I would bet that it's often.

I know the story is not unique. It's the story of Frankenstein (birth of innocence). In fact it's the story of Christ, the strange and different person who brought love to the masses to only be crucified for his differences.

I truly enjoyed this particular spin of it, however. If you've not seen it, please do, and watch closely for beyond the campy exterior is an important life lesson.

Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful movie with a powerful message... It’s been a while since I watched it so thanks for the reminder of just how great it really is Toose…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get off my island
I had better see it. I keep meaning to, but never get round to it (mainly because it's never at the video store)

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Originally posted by Caitlyn
Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful movie with a powerful message... It’s been a while since I watched it so thanks for the reminder of just how great it really is Toose…
I noticed you listed Edward as your favorite Depp performance. Any particular reason?

Just curious.

Originally posted by Toose

I noticed you listed Edward as your favorite Depp performance. Any particular reason?

Just curious.

I just thought he was extremely moving as Edward… perfectly mixing the innocence and vulnerably of a child discovering a world that had previously been denied him, his need for love and the horror he experienced in finding that world was far from perfect… I thought his body language spoke volumes of the emotional roller coaster ride he was on continually throughout the movie and I guess the bottom line is that Depp just brought Edward to life for me…

Get off my island
I love Johnny Depp, particularly in Donnie Brasco

I just thought he was extremely moving as Edward… perfectly mixing the innocence and vulnerably of a child discovering a world that had previously been denied him, his need for love and the horror he experienced in finding that world was far from perfect… I thought his body language spoke volumes of the emotional roller coaster ride he was on continually throughout the movie and I guess the bottom line is that Depp just brought Edward to life for me…
Yeah, me too. He did the jerky little movements and the vacant stare so believably. I loved his performance. I'm surprised he didn't show up in Planet of the Apes somewhere. He's come so far from 21 Jump Street...remember that show?

Oh yeah… I remember… I used to watch 21 Jump Street all the time… and you’re right, he has come a long way since then… I really like his performance in Benny and Joon too… loved his “Charlie Chaplin/Buster Keaton”…

Lets put a smile on that block
I just thought he was extremely moving as Edward… perfectly mixing the innocence and vulnerably of a child discovering a world that had previously been denied him, his need for love and the horror he experienced in finding that world was far from perfect…
Your absoloutly right. youve summed up what i see in this film perfectly. Its strange how Tim Burton creates such dark and gothic atmospheres but all the while he manages to bring out the main theme of beauty in a film ironically about a disfigured man.

Ive see an awsome poster of this film that i have to get, on one side is Winona ryders character and on the other is Edward, they are both lookin at each other and in between them it says

"He sees beauty...She sees love"