Gay actors

Tools    

The sexual preferences of actors used to be kept secret unlike now. I have just been watching the new Blu-Ray copy of Hitchcock's "North by Northwest". Something was mentioned in the dialogue between James Mason's character, Vandamm and Martin Landua's charater, Leonard about whether Leonard was Gay.

That set me thinking about Mason and Landau. I like James Mason's acting very much and now thinking about him I would like to know if he was Gay. I have no problem with Gay people myself; I am straight. Many Gays work in the Arts and in Fashion and produce excellent work.

Welcome to the human race...
There's still the possibility that there's a decent number of actors working today that are still "secretly gay". And for the record, according to IMDb Mason wasn't gay.

It's harder to tell with actors. With singers and pop stars you can sort of sense it, but actors, not being themselves and all, it's quite hard. I would never have guessed that Neil Patrick Harris was gay. Even in his interviews.

Banned from Hollywood.
i might be wrong but there's definitely something gay about Jonathan Rhys Meyers...the way he talks sometimes, the way he smiles, a few of his gestures all in all...maybe the fact that a few of his roles portrayed gayness might explain that, but then again playing a straight man in the exceptional Match Point still made him seem a little "gay" in a few scenes.

great actor by the way.

There's still the possibility that there's a decent number of actors working today that are still "secretly gay".
Hopefully:

And hopefully the world will end when he comes out and we're the only two people left alive (unless, of course, Tobey Maguire lives and joins us.)

Semper Fooey
What makes you think James mason was gay, because he had an upper class English accent and was usually impeccably dressed? He may have been decadent, he wasn't gay.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
There's still the possibility that there's a decent number of actors working today that are still "secretly gay". And for the record, according to IMDb Mason wasn't gay.

?
Author Robert Randolph has been talking to the tabloids about John Travolta's habit of hooking up with men at Los Angeles saunas. Most media outlets, however, were too shy to delve into the steamy details. We're not quite as timid.....
Warning, Article contains lewd language.
http://gawker.com/5685811/the-secret...-john-travolta

Semper Fooey
Rumours about Travolta go waaaaay back. I'm just saying I'm not surprised to see his name pop up.
Definitely. But it would appear he is basically bisexual as there is no doubt he has been sexually active with a lot of women, the rumors being he was doing both sexes at the same time, which makes him different from Rock Hudson.

I don't think it would affect Travolta one iota professionally if he was out, whether he is gay or bi-or whatever. It might cause him some probs with the Scientology folks who from my limited understanding approach homosexuality like Ted Haggard.

but professionally, not in the slightest imo.

I'm not sure how it would affect him professionally. However, I would agree that that, if he is, then being so high 'ranking' (is that the right term?) and high profile in $cientology would be a problem for them. Obviously, it'd have a huge effect on his family, too, so I wouldn't expect him to come out.

It'd also make it a lot more difficult for those still in the closet, which is (I'm led to believe) one of the main reasons why so few come out.

I'm not sure how it would affect him professionally. However, I would agree that that, if he is, then being so high 'ranking' (is that the right term?) and high profile in $cientology would be a problem for them. Obviously, it'd have a huge effect on his family, too, so I wouldn't expect him to come out.

It'd also make it a lot more difficult for those still in the closet, which is (I'm led to believe) one of the main reasons why so few come out.
how would it make things difficult for those still in the closet? I'd have thought the opposite would be true.

So in Scientlogy if you're queer, you can't be "clear?"
That was the case. Given that Hubbard was writing in the 50's, he was in the majority in saying that homosexuality was "perverted" or a mental illness. I think the current position is a bit don't ask, don't tell. The official line, tmk, is that it's ok, but I remember when Paul Haggis left he cited their view on homosexuality as one of the reasons he left. Or, in other words, I don't know.

how would it make things difficult for those still in the closet? I'd have thought the opposite would be true.
As always, according to the rumours, this isn't the case. Previously straight actors coming out re-enforces rumours and casts suspicion on other actors rumoured to be gay.

Whilst you'd think it would help, if you're determinded to stay in/afraid to come out, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Semper Fooey
When Ellen came out, I thought, oh, that is why she was so uncomfortable on her sitcom pretending to like guys, but when she started going out with women, she still looked uncomfortable. She is a lousy actress.