Boy/Girl Films

Tools    

Is there such a thing as a boy or girl film. Surely if a film is good then it is good for everyone. In my opinion there are some universally great films that both sexes and some films are universally bad. I think romance and hunks are key to a girl like a film and babes and action are key to a guy film. What do you think makes a good guy or girl film and is there such a thing?

A system of cells interlinked
Sounds like a big stack of cliches, to me. I'm a guy, and I like pretty much all types of film, including romance. I mean, sure, there is a certain demographic that fits into the mold you are describing, but those people seem to be a bit shallow in their film watching, IMO.

yeah i never really concern myself with if the movie is for a boy or girl. i will watch anything and if i don't like it i wont just tac it up as "o it was a chick flick" except for The Notebook lol to me a total chick flick!
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

You're a Genius all the time
There are definitely certain movies and even genres that appeal more to one sex or the other. Regardless of what the filmmakers intend their movies to be, it's difficult to escape these limiting biases. And I'm not just talking about lifetime-movie-of-the-week-chick-flicks or misogynistic balls-to-the-walls-action-shoot-'em-uppers. I sometimes find it hard to watch a film, even a good one, that is obviously skewed toward one gender. Waitress, for example, was so unrelenting in its broad characterization of men that it became distracting. It was a sweet movie and all, but come on.

Lost in never never land
I agree with Swedish and Sedai, there are demographics that are obviously shot for in films, but it really is more about how shallow most movie watchers are in what they want to see. Now, there are some reasons that a guy or gal might like a film better then the other gender, but a lot of the time either gender will be quickly willing to dismiss a film as a guy or gal film without really looking into it. Now there are some genres/types of film that are obviously intentionally skewed one way of the other, but that really doesn't mean the the other gender can't enjoy them, it is more that society will say that the other gender shouldn't enjoy them, and that is how there are some films that basically only girls go to, or basically only guys go to.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity