Forgetting Sarah Marshall

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. This might not be the most original angle to take on the flick, but Apatow and Co. have done it again.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Common wisdom has it that today's comedies have become increasingly crude. Though not bad in and of itself, this crudity is rarely accompanied by any redeeming factors. It has all too often become an end in and of itself. The most notable holdout is Judd Apatow, who has written, directed, or produced an incredible number of comedic gems over the last several years. Count Forgetting Sarah Marshall among them.

Anyone reading this review is surely familiar with the setup, which is relatively straightforward: Peter Bretter (Jason Segal, who also wrote the film) is a composer for a cliché TV crime procedural called "Crime Scene." It stars Sarah Marshall, his girlfriend of five years, and Billy Baldwin (who gets to deliver such lines as "I think it's gonna be hard for her to reenter the pageant...without a face").

A few minutes into the film, Sarah breaks up with Peter while he's coming out of the shower, and he drops his towel in shock, revealing his shame in more ways than one. He tries to console himself by sleeping around, but he does it for all the wrong reasons and slinks further into depression. Eventually, his half-brother Brian (Saturday Night Live's Bill Hader) intervenes, and tells him he has to get away. Peter decides to go to Hawaii, largely because Sarah had suggested it while they were still together.

Of course, he soon learns that Sarah's there, too, and she's not alone. Accompanying her is British pop star stereotype Aldous Snow (Russell Brand), who is so unapologetically debaucherous that he makes Keith Richards look like a prude. This obviously interferes with Peter's grieving process, but he decides to stick it out.

Segal's screenplay hits the "Wizard of Oz" trifecta here in that it has a brain (it's consistently witty), a heart (Segal's character is a truly sympathetic everyman), and courage (he was brave enough to write full-frontal nudity for himself into the script). Though the basic trajectory of the story is fairly ho-hum, it injects even its well-worn plot devices with a new vibrancy, and has a unique twist to add to many of them.

Its obvious from the very beginning that Forgetting Sarah Marshall won't be content with stock characters, but their depth and realism are still surprising. Consider a scene where one of the characters learns of some quasi-infidelity. Even though their reason for being upset is emotional, they're not content with vague summaries. They demand a specific, clinical account of what took place. This might not be poetic or dramatic in a manner befitting most films, but it's the way real people behave.

Like every film created by Apatow and the rest of his comedy cartel, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is longer than most comparable films. It clocks in at just under two hours, but it won't waste your time.

There are a number of hysterical supporting performances that I'd characterize as "scene-stealing," but the fact is that every scene's like that, and sometimes two or more of them all steal it at the same time. Aside from the aforementioned Russell Brand, Jonah Hall plays a creepily obsessed fan, and Paul Rudd plays a burnt out surf instructor.

Films like this may be an aberration. The mindless gross-out comedies, content with simply eliciting any reaction, may yet win out. But for now, moviegoers still have films like this, which understand that comedy is funnier when you care.

.....doesn't know what to put here!
i liked the look of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but i'm too young to see it

I didn't hate it, but I laughed very little during this movie. Some things I absolutely do hate, like the British pop star character and Sarah Marshall herself.

Liked the fact that it was set in Hawaii, and I think that Jonah Hill (who has a small role in this) has a certain charm/star power that isn't tiring and could make him a much bigger actor someday. I do not see that in Jason Segal, though. I enjoyed looking at him completely naked and his sad, Dracula puppet show obsessed character was interesting, but that's about it.

I just think Sarah Marshall and her British pop star boyfriend should have been absolutely forgotten THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE MOVIE! The British guy was too nice, too stupid and too sexually silly to really bring much frustrated sympathy pangs for Jason Segal's character. I would have preferred the movie relying solely on Jason Segal and Mila Kunis, the hotel girl.

As for the sense of humor, I got very annoyed with what I found to be a penis obsession in this movie. First with the nudity and then there was some other stuff - I can't remember everything exactly, but I remember this from my mental notes.

Overall, not a very joyous experience at the movies, not funny (for me at least - other audience members laughed, including this one woman behind me who laughed so loud and sharp that I almost got hearing loss combined with a temporary insanity). It is, however, better than a really bad Will Ferrell comedy, like Blades of Glory.

Why are comedies now so f**king dark and mean spirited?
It's always about losers who are in hopeless, constantly humiliating situations. I think this is too much of art imitating life.
I mean, Jesus, how many of these losery comedies can they make? If I want to see losers, I'll just go to work.
...or a mirror! HA!

I really enjoyed this film. Similarish to Knocked Up and I found it funny for the majority of the film. I really like Paul Rudd and Russell Brand plays his role to a decent standard in his first role since St Trinian's. Worth seeing.

Why are comedies now so f**king dark and mean spirited?
It's always about losers who are in hopeless, constantly humiliating situations. I think this is too much of art imitating life.
I mean, Jesus, how many of these losery comedies can they make? If I want to see losers, I'll just go to work.
...or a mirror! HA!
I'm not sure if you've seen the film, or if you're just speaking generally, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall is not dark or mean-spirited. It is certainly about a bit of a loser, and he certainly finds himself in some hopeless and humiliating situations, but the former simply humanizes the character, and the latter is simply conducive to comedy. It's not the essence of the film.

Saw this last night and it had to do be one of the funniest movies I've sen in a while. Especially the part where....

WARNING: "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" spoilers below
Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) breaks up with Peter and he takes off his towel and is buck naked the whole time. I knew about that scene but it was so funny when it happened.

Napoleon Dynamite was the best in my opinion, of these kind of "laugh at the losers" movies. But, it's getting really old; Superbad, Drillbit Taylor, Benchwarmers, and School for scoundrels.
For god sake, when will this genere burn itself out?

Napoleon Dynamite was the best in my opinion, of these kind of "laugh at the losers" movies. But, it's getting really old; Superbad, Drillbit Taylor, Benchwarmers, and School for scoundrels.
I gotta say, I don't really think this is a "genre" at all. I haven't seen all those movies, but the ones I have seen don't really have much in common. I suppose the fact that there are "losers" in them relates them to one another a little, but not in any meaningful way. The brand of comedy is still completely different. Napoleon Dynamite is mostly a "laugh at the losers" movie, but a lot of that humor is based around how odd they are, rather than the fact that they're losers. Forgetting Sarah Marshall isn't a "laugh at the losers" movie, because the "loser" is witty and we laugh with him way more often than we laugh at him, and we laugh at his circumstances more than either.

So, I think the connection here is pretty tenuous. To the degree that it exists, I think we can simply chalk it up to the fact that imperfect or awkward people tend to lend themselves a bit more to comedy to begin with.

In spain, hasn't been released yet, and the title is completly different.
The only reason to see it, is her actress.. :P

Napolean Dynamite a best? Holy crap. Now i love retarded movies but i couldnt stand that movie. It was soooooo ****ing stupid i wanted to kill my self.

I abolutely adored this movie. I think it was a nice medium between raunchiness and a love story. Russell Brand was brilliant. I hadn't ever seen him in anything here in the states. I'm stoked that he's getting his own Apatow movie.

I think my favorite was
WARNING: "**SPOILERSSS**" spoilers below
when Jonah Hill hands Brand his demo CD... and Jonah's face is all over the CD. And no one skips a beat. Like it is completely normal for his face to be all over the cover of his own CD.

I think this may have been my favorite Apatow flick. I'll definately pick up the DVD when it comes out.

Napolean Dynamite a best? Holy crap. Now i love retarded movies but i couldnt stand that movie. It was soooooo ****ing stupid i wanted to kill my self.
It was like as if the movie itself had been placed on ritalin! I agree with you, have you seen nacho libre? Man...that one will make you actually finish the job on yourself!

Pretty good movie. It was funny at times, but overall not a non-stop laughing type film, but was still a good change of pace to the 'try too hard to be funny' types. Jonah Hill was great as always, and is definitely becoming the guy who has small roles in almost every new movie and he always steals the scene and always leaves a memorable mark on any movie he is in.

Well, if it counts, Saturday Night Live.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Well, if it counts, Saturday Night Live.
.....What about it?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
My girl and I watched this last night. She didn't want to but agreed to it for my sake. We laughed so much!

My fav parts are the Dracula scenes and the Music Video. The extras were worth viewing on this DVD.

However, the full frontal male nudity wasn't expected. It happened, again and again. Sex was simulated and discussed often. So beware, this is not for the kiddies.

However, the full frontal male nudity wasn't expected. It happened, again and again. Sex was simulated and discussed often. So beware, this is not for the kiddies.
To be fair, it is R rated.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen this it looks good but Russel Brand annoys the hell out of me.

Im from UK and he pi$$es me off!

Cheers Yoda for a great review!