27 Dresses- Billed as Rom Com of the Year!

→ in
Tools    

What Did You Think?
0%
0 votes
5/5- Fantastic, when the sequel?
0%
0 votes
4/5- Really worth seeing
50.00%
1 votes
3/5- Ok but could have been better
0%
0 votes
2/5- Boring throughout
50.00%
1 votes
1/5- I want my money back!
2 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Definitive 27 Dresses Review
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']The makers of Knocked Up bring you another romantic comedy. Katherine Heigl stars alongside James Marsden as a morbid exploited personal assistant. [/font]

Plot Synopsis

The story focuses on Jane (Katherine Heigl) who has been a bridesmaid at 27 different weddings without ever being the bride. The one person she does actually love is her charming boss. When she finally plucks up the courage to show her feelings, her sister Tess, swoops in and before she knows it is getting married to the man of her dreams. Meanwhile, Malcolm Doyle played by James Marsden is a columnist who keeps following Jane around desperately trying to get a date while writing stories on her and Tess’ marriage. It all gets very complicated and I will say no more because otherwise I will spoil 27 Dresses for you.

What I Thought

For me, the film is very slow to start. I was not sure what the purpose was of large sections of the beginning, because it was simply boring and unnecessary. While it is important to set the scene there is just too much setting of the scene and not enough action. 27 Dresses only really got interesting in the last 30 minutes when things actually start to go wrong. In terms of a plot concept it was ok and could have made a decent romantic comedy. However, the script is at times poor making the plot laboured and overly long. Some of the scenes appear to be filler scenes rather than actually contributing to the plot. 27 Dresses should have been around 90 minutes long rather than 107 minutes. Moreover, any supposed twists are predictable and are so obvious it is painful.
The acting is ok and James Marsden and Katherine Heigl both give creditable performances but they are let down by the poor plot. The chemistry between the two is convincing and good but there is not enough to keep the audience interested during the endless periods of nothingness that make up the bulk of this film. One of Jane’s friends made me laugh more with her few lines than the rest of the cast combined. I am not going to spoil the plot but at one part of the film when the sister is angry with Jane she is suddenly calm again within about 30 seconds, that made me laugh.
The film was simply too morbid and dull. I know I am a guy so it is in my make up not to enjoy romantic comedies but compared to others I have seen this one is poor. Unfortunately, the plot of 27 Dresses never fully develops beyond the fact that she has been bridesmaid 27 times, her sister is marrying the man of her dreams and another man is madly in love with her. I actually found myself physically annoyed at Jane. It is unusual in a romantic comedy for the leading woman to be annoying but she is! No woman in the world is more of a walk over than her.

Conclusion

Ultimately, 27 Dresses was a disappointment. Not enough happened in the film to warrant its length. I think Katherine Heigl should try to make sure she only appears in romantic comedies that are actually funny in the future and James Marsden I do not know, because he has been killed in X-Men and returned to a fantasy world in Enchanted. Anyway, I would not recommend seeing this film even if you are into films of this genre. If you really want to see it I would wait till you can rent it on DVD rather than wasting your money on a cinema ticket.

Point 2 Note

To be honest there were not any! Other than the remarkable change in moods that some of the characters manage to have.

Cast

James Marsden - Malcolm Doyle
Katherine Heigl - Jane Nichols
Edward Burns- George

So, i was actually really wanting to see this film, I was expecting some pretty good things, not great mind but good. Im a fan of Katherine Heigl so was going to go see the movie sometime soon, but i think now i may just wait for it to come on dvd as ive yet to hear good or bad reviews from anyone, as yours says its not worth it, i can wait.

20th Century Fox sent me a DVD screener of this awhile back and I thought it was pretty cute and fun. Katherine Heigl and James Marsden both did a wonderful job in their performances. Although I liked it, if I didn't own the screener in the first place I wouldn't go out and buy it. I didn't like it THAT much. I give it

It is ok but not worth paying see to at the cinema or buying on DVD. As i said in my review James Marsden and Katherine Heigl both give decent performances.

Thanks for the heads up...I thought this would be awful...

Bridesmaid 27 times? that's a bit much isn't it? Stupid concept is stupid!

Also...I find Heigl way too plain to ever be a leading lady...

Yea for me she was a bit creepy and obsessive in this film and that not that likeable. The concept is not that bad when you watch it just there is not enough happening.