UconJack's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

So many good movies, so little time.
I figured I would join in too, although it changes on a daily basis.

1. The Searchers (1956)
2. Casablanca (1942)
3. Godfather (1972)
4. Citizen Kane (1941)
5. The Seven Samurai (1954)
6. Unforgiven (1992)
7. Some Like it Hot (1959)
8. The Rules of the Game (1939)
9. Dr. Strangelove or : How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
10. Double Indemnity (1944)
11. The Godfather: Part II (1974)
12. North by Northwest (1959)
13. Chinatown (1974)
14. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
15. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
16. Goodfellas (1990)
17. Jean de Florette (1986)
18. Ugestsu (1953)
19. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
20. Last of the Mohicans(1992)
21. Blade Runner (1982)
22. Rear Window (1954)
23. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
24. Jaws (1975)
25. The Quiet Man (1952)
26. The Producers (1968)
27. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
28. High Noon (1952)
29. Vertigo (1958)
30. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
31. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
32. Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
33. The Wild Bunch (1969)
34. Star Wars (1977)
35. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
36. Rain Man (1988)
37. Malcolm X (1992)
38. In the Heat of the Night (1967)
39. Fort Apache (1948)
40. The Conversation (1974)
41. Rebecca (1940)
42. Raging Bull (1980)
43. Sunset Boulevard (1950)
44. All the President's Men (1976)
45. Do the Right Thing (1989)
46. Wild Strawberries (1957)
47. Schindler's List (1993)
48. La Dolce Vita (1960)
49. Amadeus (1984)
50. Paths of Glory (1957)
51. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
52. The Bicycle Thief (1948)
53. City Lights (1931)
54. Tokyo Story (1953)
55. The Bank Dick (1940)
56. Kiss of Death (1947)
57. Stagecoach (1939)
58. Mark of Zorro (1940)
59. Diabolique (1955)
60. Sunrise (1927)
61. Pickup on South Street (1953)
62. The Grand Illusion (1937)
63. Fargo (1996)
64. Shane (1953)
65. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
66. L.A. Confidential (1997)
67. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
68. Pleasantville (1988)
69. Ran (1985)
70. On the Waterfront (1954)
71. Bob le flambeur (1955)
72. Cinema Paradiso (1988)
73. The Shop on Main Street (1965)
74. The Gunfighter (1950)
75. Samurai Rebellion (1967)
76. Destry Rides Again (1954)
77. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)
78. Rififi (1955)
79. Jules and Jim (1962)
80. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
81. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
82. Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
83. Umberto D (1952)
84. The Third Man (1949)
85. A Man for All Seasons (1966)
86. The Fog of War (2003)
87. Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
88. Gaslight (1944)
89. M (1931)
90. Nashville (1975)
91. Ride the High Country (1962)
92. Rashomon (1950)
93. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966)
94. Children of the Paradise (1945)
95. Beau Geste (1939)
96. Black Narcissus (1947)
97. Wages of Fear (1953)
98. David Copperfield (1935)
99. White Heat (1949)
100. Gunga Din (1939)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Lots of older films on there. some of my favorites are on here

3. Godfather (1972)
4. Citizen Kane (1941)
16. Goodfellas (1990)
21. Blade Runner (1982)
34. Star Wars (1977) - (which i assume you mean the classic version of the movie : which looks terrible compared to the new DVD)

but then you got stuff like china town , to kill a mockingbird , dr. strangelove , and raging bull - and it dosen't make me want to see the rest of the films on this list.

Great list Ucon... I knew you'd have Mohicans on it somewhere... but don't 'ya think you need to bump it up a bit...

Seriously, great list... and I am adding to my "to see list"...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Nice job uconjack! And I didn't even have to put you on the spot. Nice list.

Great list, I would like to see a "why it is in your favs" comment on a lot of them.

Great job Jack

but then you got stuff like china town , to kill a mockingbird , dr. strangelove , and raging bull - and it dosen't make me want to see the rest of the films on this list.
Umm are you saying you don't like these films?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lots of older films on there. some of my favorites are on here

3. Godfather (1972)
4. Citizen Kane (1941)
16. Goodfellas (1990)
21. Blade Runner (1982)
34. Star Wars (1977) - (which i assume you mean the classic version of the movie : which looks terrible compared to the new DVD)

I thought you said you've seen all the "great films already released".
Hey, I'm still on your side.

Great list, I would like to see a "why it is in your favs" comment on a lot of them.
There are some movies on my list that probably look like thay don't fit in with the "classics" and I'll try to explain why they are there.

First : Fort Apache (1948). The Director, John Ford has won more Best Picture Oscars than any one else, but this is not seen, by most, as one of his better movies. It is not even viewed as being the best of his Calvary Trilogy.

It is the story of Col. Thursday, a Custer-like character, played by Henry Fonda, who serves to personify the dangers inherent to America in the immediate post-WWII years. Col. Thursday had been a general during the Civil War and was looking to regain some of the glory, prestige and power he had during that time (foretelling of the dangers of the emerging American Military-Industrial complex).

Ignoring the advice of more experienced officers, blinded by hubris and racism, Thursday plunges ahead because he has so little respect for his enemy.

I have always thought it was very prescient of Ford to be able to foretell of the American experience in Korea and Viet Nam with this little movie. The current events in Afghanistan and Iraq makes it all the more relevant and important.

The movie is also one of the first to give a positive portrayal of Native Americans. Cochise is portrayed as a proud, intelligent and merciful leader who is forced to fight the invading Americans.

One of the most interesting aspects of the movie is that even though Col. Thursday is an arrogant, ignorant leader he still goes down in history as a heroic commander. I think this is Ford's statement on the writing of American history. No matter what happens American historians are always going to put a positive spin on the events.

Pleasantville (1998)

Pleasantville discusses the question of whether it would be better to live in the 1950's or the 1990's. Is it better to be a member of Ozzie and Harriet's family or Roseannes.

Things seemed so calm, orderly, comfortable, safe and predictable back in the 50's. On the surface it seems like it would be an easy choice.

As the movie goes on we begin to realize that maybe the 50's weren't so great for some people. If you were "colored" or a woman (or gay) it probably wasn't so pleasant.

The movie also highlights the debate we are going though today with the loss of freedoms that we are giving up to protect our security. In last nights Republican Presidential Debate it was pointed out what a great thing the Patriot Act is.

Pleasantville discusses one of the most important issues we have before us, individual freedom vs. security for the country, in an interesting and intelligent way.

Pleasantville also has that great tribute scene to To Kill a Mockingbird, where all the coloreds have to sit up in the balcony.

I think Pleasantville is a powerful little parable for our times.

Great job Jack

Umm are you saying you don't like these films?
They all fall under "average" in my book - except for Mocking Bird which was all together just a horrible film.

Malcolm X (1992)

One movie that I really think has been under viewed is Spike Lee's Malcolm X. I think the length, 202 minutes, may have scared some people away but I think it is time well spent.

I feel it is among the best movie biographies ever made (along with Lawrence of Arabia and A Man For All Seasons , for me). It was after I saw this movie that I knew Denzel was going to be a star. He was perfect as Malcolm X.

I think X is one of those rare movies that comes along once in a while that is entertaining and educational. In the movie Malcolm X goes through four stages, which are reflected in his changing name and are also reflective of the black experience in America.

He was born as Malcolm Little on a farm in Nebraska. He later moves to the city and is known as Detroit Red. During a stretch in prison, he finds Allah, and becomes a white hating Muslim known as Malcolm X. Later in his life he comes to accept a different form of Islam and takes on the name of el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz.

The four stages that Malcolm goes through : segregated life on a farm, the move to the city, the search for a black identity in the sixties and late in life, a later a desire to work within the system in the fight for civil rights are also the path that black Americans as a group have gone through in the era since the Civil War.

After watching this movie, you have to wonder, if this is perhaps another American hero who has been ignored by the history books. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't celebrate Martin Luther King Day and Malcolm X Day together someday. Two different approaches, but they had the same goal.

For a movie this long, it moves by at a rapid pace. It is never boring. I learned a lot about the Muslim religion by watching this movie, and that alone makes it worth while. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm probably in the minority, and I know you like Do the Right Thing too, but I believe that Malcolm X is my fave Spike Lee Joint; I also really like Jungle Fever and Get On the Bus.

I'm probably in the minority, and I know you like Do the Right Thing too, but I believe that Malcolm X is my fave Spike Lee Joint; I also really like Jungle Fever and Get On the Bus.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My favourite Western lovin' MoFo has put a list up? Excellent!

When you get a little older, you might understand the genius of To Kill A Mockingbird...
I have not seen it in a long while - but as I can remember it's just another movie about racisim : guy goes to jail for doing nothing - and that's all I can remember from the barely original movie (and book).

I have not seen it in a long while - but as I can remember it's just another movie about racisim : guy goes to jail for doing nothing - and that's all I can remember from the barely original movie (and book).
You definitely need to watch it again. Or, better yet, read Harper Lee's book. It isn't so much about racism as it is about cultural and personal responses (perceptions) to stereotypes (there are many in the story). Also, ultimately, it's a story about a little girl identifying with her family/roots/emotions/perceptions and her place in the world. It's a simply written novel with powerful underlying messages and is one of the best pieces of literature, I believe, ever written.