Tideland: seems like a good but spooky movie

→ in
Tools    

TIDELAND (Starring Jodelle Ferland from Silent Hill).

Check out the trailer:

I saw the trailer for this and I nearly flipped. It's described as a fantasy, but it's a more an interpretation of reality. After I saw the trailer and read this review, I couldn't sleep because of it. It seems spookier than any scary movie out there. Some say that the trailer is misleading, but it definitely inspires interest. I'm going to rent this ASAP. It looks really good.

Seems like it would be good, but in fact it's horrible. Gilliam's only true stinker to date, in my book. I saw this a couple months ago and as a mega-fan of Terry's it hurt me how bad it is. I did read the novel a year or so ago, and as I did I thought it was going to be a miracle if it could be adapted well as a film. That miracle didn't happen. I appreciate the attempt, as most would have never even bothered, but the end result is a flop on every level.

The main problem in adapting is that in the book you get a sense for how horrible the reality of the situation is, but being a novel you aren't often forced to deal with how revolting it actually is, as the narrative is filtered through the little girl's perspective so fully. In the movie there simply wasn't a way to have it be her perspective but not still show the audience how horrible everything was.

Oh, well. I can marginally recommend it to other Gilliam fans who'll want to see it just for the sake of seeing it, but Tideland is a dud all the way.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Personally I think Tideland is better than The Brothers Grimm and Fear & Loathing but, as I don't rate those two films, that's not saying a whole lot.

Hugely disappointing and, because I'm a trenchant Gilliam fan, I watched the thing three times. For all TG's signature moves, Tideland is just dull.

Great commentary (on the R2 disc at least) though - Terry and producer having the good sense to take the piss about the movie's poor reception.

The main problem in adapting is that in the book you get a sense for how horrible the reality of the situation is, but being a novel you aren't often forced to deal with how revolting it actually is, as the narrative is filtered through the little girl's perspective so fully. In the movie there simply wasn't a way to have it be her perspective but not still show the audience how horrible everything was.
I thought T.G. did an excellent job making the movie the little girl's perspective. It reminded me of the way I might recall things from my childhood - not to say I ever kissed a handicapped man... more than once!

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Sounds like a similar complaint many people made with Fear & Loathing...

Anyway, I don't know how horrible this film is (but I have a friend who's a big Gilliam fan and she said that she found it "too icky") but I'm still going to try it out.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I watched this recently with my teen daugther. We both enjoyed it. We were able to see it from the little girl's perspective. We thought it was funny, horrifying and pretty nifty! Yay, quirky little films!

The two hours feel like two months. The first fifteen minutes or so start out promising enough, and there's some strong imagery, but it's just so damn tedious. I'm hard-pressed to think of a line of dialogue that would have been missed if omitted. It just completely failed to make any impression on me at all.

Spooky ? Scooby-Doo is spooky ... this is like a real type horror movie , very unenjoyable. Although I do remember Jeff Bridges being in it , I like that guy.