Movie(s) on Iraq?

Tools    

I wipe my ass with your feelings
http://imdb.com/title/tt0763840/

Are you guys kidding me? A movie on Iraq while the war continues (besides the Mission Accomplished ordeal)?

I don't want this thread to go entirely political, so let's just stick to basis of the movie and the idea.

Sure the movie might be about soldiers returning home and facing some trials and tribulations, but does it seem fair to bring this up as the war continues down there?

Also, is this an issue of whether or not the war is over and done with? Because this is, once again, a war that doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon.

To me the idea seems unrational. As lives continue to be lost in Iraq, we have a script being written out and a cast. Maybe I'm too emotional, but the timing is no where near to being right.

Looking at movies like The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now, both movies came out quite sometime the war had ended.

What are your thoughts?
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Well, Casablanca (1942) was released when the WWII was still going on, even if it's not about the actual fighting. Roma, cittą aperta (1945) was released just weeks after the end of the war. The fact that there wasn't many films made about the Vietnam war while it was still going on was probably because the filmmakers weren't that interested in making propaganda films (like, for instance, Casablanca) so it was impossible getting them made. Instead you had to make films that were somewhat about the Vietnam war implicitly but that were being set in another time and place (The Wild Bunch (1969) or M*A*S*H (1970) ).

I don't see any problem with films about a war that is still going on per se. Wait until we see the actual film and then we'll see if it's a good or bad thing. There is of course a risk you're taking of not waiting until you get the more complete picture. That is if you want to give the audience a film version of the complete picture. But there are a lot of seperate aspects of this war that could be valuable material for a movie, I'm sure.

I don't really have any special expectations on this particular film though.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It won't necessarily be bad, but using the War in Iraq as a backdrop feels gimmicky, and I don't think films that have to resort to gimmicks are usually ones worth seeing.

I think it'll end up having the shelf life of a carton of milk.